- 2. CONTINENTS BY POPULATION ( 2019) Asia ≈ 4550 million (United Nations: 4504 million; Wikipedia: 4570 million). Africa ≈ 1275 million (United Nations: 1256 million; Wikipedia: 1290 million). America ≈ 1000 million (United Nations: 1007 million; Wikpedia: 1007 million). Latin America and the Caribbean ≈ 645 millon.
People also ask
What continent has the largest percentage of people population?
Which continent has the greatest population?
Which continent has the largest population growth?
Which continent is the least populated continent in the world?
Continent Population (2018) % of world ±% p.a. 2010–2010 World: 7.6 billion: Global, continental, and subregional totals from 1950 to 2018
- Africa. After Asia, Africa is the largest and most populous of the seven continents. It is perhaps the most diverse in terms of cultures, languages, and people groups, some of which are still untouched by Westernization and modernity.
- Asia. This continent is the largest of the seven, with 30% of the earth’s land mass and 60% of its population. It is connected to the main land mass of Europe, with the border defined somewhat by the Ural Mountains that run through Russia and the Bosphorus that cuts through Turkey.
- Europe. Of all the seven continents, Europe has the second-smallest landmass (after Australia), but its people and culture have done more to shape the entire world than those from any other continent.
- North America. In terms of land mass, North America is the third-largest of the seven continents. It also has just three countries including Canada, the United States of America, and Mexico.
- North America
- South America
Asia is the world's most populous and most extensive continent, accounting for 60% of the global population and 30% of Earth’s land mass. As of 2019, the continent had an estimated population of 4.58 billion people. Asia occupies four-fifths of the Eurasian supercontinent and is divided politically into 50 countries. The continent also includes the world's three most populated regions: Southern Asia, Eastern Asia, and Southeastern Asia. Additionally, Asia includes the world's two most populated countries, China and India. Although China is currently the world's most populous country, based on current growth rates, the population of Indiais expected to surpass China by 2025.
Africais the second most populous and second most extensive continent, with an estimated population of 1.3 billion in 2019. Africa consists of 54 sovereign states and nine territories. The continent is growing so fast that its population doubled in just 27 years. Additionally, African countries are registering high population growths due to high fertility rates and limited access to family planning.
Europe occupies the westernmost part of the Eurasian supercontinent. It is separated from Asiaby the Ural River, the Black and Caspian seas, the Ural and Caucasus mountains, as well as waterways that connect the Aegean and Black seas. Europe has an estimated population of 738 million and encompasses a total area of 3.93 million sq mi, which represents 6.8% of Earth’s land mass. However, Europe has the slowest growth rate, with a value of 0.08% annually.
North America has an estimated population of 580 million, which represents 7.79% of the global population. The continent's three largest countries, Canada, the United States, and Mexico, account for approximately 90% of North America's population. Although Canada is the most extensive country in North America, it accounts for only 6% of the continent's population.
South America has an estimated population of 422.5 million and consists of 12 sovereign countries, the Falkland Islands (a British overseas territory), and French Guiana (an overseas department of France). Brazil is the most populous country in South America, with a population of 201 million, followed by Colombia (47 million), and Argentina(41 million).
Australia is the world's smallest continent. It includes the island nation of Australia as well as the islands of Tasmania and New Guinea. The continent has an estimated population of 38.3 million accounting for about 0.54% of the world's population. The continent of Australia is often intermixed with the geographic region of Oceania which includes the island of New Zealandas well as several thousand Pacific islands.
Antarcticais the least populated continent, with an estimated population of only 1,106 people. In fact, there are no permanent inhabitants in Antarctica due to the harsh weather conditions. Instead, most people in Antarctica are considered semi-permanent inhabitants who work as researchers in various research stations.
Population Data Comparison (mid 2021) Show. main data; all data; Rank Continent Total Male Female Sex Ratio Growth rate Birth rate Death rate Fertility rate. Life ...YearAsiaAfricaEurope20505,206,832,0002,446,737,000706,336,00020495,202,223,0002,405,792,000708,375,00020485,196,293,0002,364,905,000710,301,00020475,189,260,0002,324,073,000712,193,000
Jul 29, 2020 · Asia is the most populous continent in the world, with 4.68 billion people accounting for nearly 59.5% of the world population as of 2021. Africa is the second most largest continent by population, with around 1.37 billion people, or 17.4% of the world's population.
- 29 Jul 2020
- UN (World Population Prospects 2019)