Yahoo Web Search

  1. Helier - Wikipedia

    en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Helier

    St. Helier was born, we are told, 'after the death of wicked Queen Brunehild, when Childebert governed the Francs'. This must be Childebert III, who came to the throne in 693. But Helier became a disciple of St. Marculf, who died in 558; and 'according to one account he was buried by the famous eighth century Bishop Willebrod.' In other words ...

  2. A brief background of Lady St Helier | Lady St.Helier | Early ...

    www.heliermemories.org.uk › page_id__89_path__0p32p

    Jun 19, 2010 · He was born 9th November 1824 and was the son of George Hay, 8th Marquess of Tweeddale and Lady Susan Montagu. He died on 29th December 1878 at the age 54. (III) James Alexander Francis Humberston Stewart-Mackenzie, 1st and last Baron Seaforth Lady St Helier's Family

  3. People also ask

    When did the town of St Helier become a city?

    How did st.helier die in Jerriais?

    How did St Helier Hospital get its name?

    Who was the father and mother of Helier?

  4. Saint Helier - (Coat of arms/crest) - crest of Heraldry of ...

    www.heraldry-wiki.com › heraldrywiki › index

    Helier (in Latin: Helerius) was born in Tongeren in Belgium, probably between 510 and 520 AD. He probably arrived in Jersey around 535 - 545 AD. He was martyred in approximately 550-560 AD. He died during a Viking raid by decapitation.

  5. A very modern design | A Brief History of St. Helier Hospital ...

    www.heliermemories.org.uk › page_id__242_path__0p30p

    I was born at St. Helier and later trained at St. Helier. A wonderful hospital so full of good memories of friends and colleagues. St. Helier looked after my mum's mother until she died on C5 ward, in 1944.

  6. John St Helier Lander (1868-1944) - Find A Grave Memorial

    www.findagrave.com › john-st_helier-lander

    John St Helier Lander (born Jersey 19 October 1868, died Witley, Surrey 12 February 1944) was a noted portrait painter. Born John Helier Lander, he added the St. to acknowledge his birthplace of Saint Helier in the Channel Islands. He was given his first paint box by Lillie Langtry, the famous beauty, actress and...

    • 19 Oct 1868
    • 100475846 · View Source
    • 12 Feb 1944 (aged 75)
    • October 19, 1868
  7. 16th July marks the remembrance of St Helier and St Marcoulf ...

    www.facebook.com › yorkshiregesithas › posts

    He died around the year 555/558 AD and tradition has it that Marcoulf also died around this time in the Cotentin. In fact there is no solid evidence Helier ever existed, or if he did, that he came to Jersey.

  8. A history of the town of St Helier - Jerripedia

    www.theislandwiki.org › index › A_history_of_the

    The first reference to St Helier as a town can be found in a letter from the Privy Council to the Royal Court in 1550. It is called ville in an Act of the Royal Court of 1569 and there is another reference six years afterwards to the Capitaine de la Ville de St Helier. The 1550 letter was written to suggest that the town should be moved, away ...

  9. Saint Helier - Wikipedia

    en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Saint_Helier
    • History
    • Governance
    • Geography
    • Demography
    • Culture
    • Public Squares and Parks
    • Landmarks
    • Transport
    • Future Plans
    • Twin Towns and Sister Cities

    Saint

    St. Helier is named for Helier (or Helerius), a 6th-century ascetic hermit from Belgium. The traditional date of his martyrdom is AD 555. His feast day, marked by an annual municipal and ecumenical pilgrimageto the Hermitage, is on 16 July. The medieval hagiographies of Helier, the patron saintmartyred in Jersey and after whom the parish and town are named, suggest a picture of a small fishing village on the dunes between the marshy land behind and the high-water mark. An Abbey of St. Helier...

    Early St Helier

    The land now known as the town of St Helier was once not much more than a low-lying basin consisting of marshy lands and sand dunes (to the west), surrounded by low hills on other other sides. There is very little evidence of prehistorical settlement in the St Helier basin; the archaeological site in the parish is an Iron Age dolmen, which used to sit atop Mont de la Ville (the present site of Fort Regent), but which was moved to the house of a former Governor in Henley-on-Thamesin the 1780s....

    18th century

    In 1700, the cattle market was moved from Broad Street to a site on the beach, around 60 to 100 yards to the southwest of the churchyard (roughly the site of the Royal Yacht Hotel). It remained here until being relocated to the modern site of Minden Place Car Park in 1841. La Cohue (a Norman word for courthouse) stood on one side of the Royal Square, now rebuilt as the Royal Court and States Chamber (called collectively the States Building). The market cross in the centre of the square was pu...

    The parish is a first-level administrative division of the Bailiwick of Jersey, a British Crown dependency. St. Helier is generally considered to be the capital of the Bailiwick, although the island has no de jure capital. It contains the seat of the island's government, the States of Jersey, including the home of the States Assembly and most Government of Jersey offices. Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant-Governor, however, is located in neighbouring St. Saviour.

    St. Helier is one of the twelve parishes of Jersey and is the most populated of them. It is located on the south coast of the island, on the eastern end of St Aubin's Bay. It covers the majority, and the principal part of, the island's principal settlement (henceforth referred to as "the town"). A large part of the parish is rural. The town has no clearly defined boundary and does not directly match to any parish boundaries. The 2011 Island Plan defines the built-up area as including a large part of the Southern part of the parish (the contiguous built-up area within the parish, notably excluding parts of Mont à l'Abbé, Le Mont au Prêtre, Grands Vaux and St Andrews), a part of St Saviour (however not the Five Oaks area, despite being part of the contiguous urban area) and the Georgetown-Plat Douet area of St Saviour and St Clement.Most of the town is located on low-lying land, consisting of escarpment and flood plain. The town's centre is located entirely within the Parish of St. He...

    St. Helier is the most populated of Jersey's parishes, with 33,522 residents according to the 2011 census.

    St. Helier contains cultural facilities at the Jersey Museum, the Maritime Museum, the Jersey Opera House, the Jersey Arts Centre, the performance venue of St James, the sports and entertainment facilities at Fort Regent, the Jersey Library, the library of La Société Jersiaiseand the Jersey Archive. The parish has hosted the Jersey Battle of Flowerscarnival since 1902.

    The Weighbridge

    The Weighbridge is a public space in the south of town. The modern space consists of three squares, trisected by La Route de la Libération and the Esplanade. The Weighbridge is notable for being the site of the Liberation of Jersey, when British soldiers raised the Union Flag at the Pomme d'Or Hotel, bringing a return to British rule in the island after five years under Nazi occuptation. In 1995, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Jersey's liberation from Nazi occupation, and thus 50 years...

    The Parade

    The Parade is a wide area in the west of St. Helier, incorporating a park in the centre and roads around most of the edges. The area is home to the Cenotaph and General Hospital. It is known as Les Miellesin Jèrriais, meaning sand dunes. It was initially a drilling ground for the island's troops. The original hospital building was completed in 1768, but was originally used as barracks. The Cenotaph was constructed in 1923 to commemorate those islanders who lost their lives in the First World...

    Millenium Town Park

    This is the newest park in St. Helier, opened on the site of a former car park in 2013. Its creation was initially agreed in 2000, however, plans stalled due to a lack of funds.The park has water features, sculptures, a playground and an area to play ball games. It also has a cycle path through the centre of it. The site has contributed to local regeneration, with new developments nearby such as Merchant's Squareand the Gas Place development.

    Many places in St. Helier have been formally listed as Sites of Special Interest by the Planning and Environment department of Jersey.

    The primary road network in the parish consists of the St. Helier Ring Road (part of which is located in St Saviour) and a series of A roads branching from there to the surrounding parishes, such as Victoria Avenue. Under Fort Regent there is a road tunnel that connects the West and the East of the island together. The parish is responsible for the upkeep of by-roads (chemins vicinaux) within its boundaries, managed by the Roads Committee. The Government is responsible for main roads. The parish contains Liberation Station, the bus terminus for the island's public transport network. Every bus route on the island terminates in St. Helier and the parish has bus connections to every settlement on the island. A number of bus services provide a direct connection to Jersey Airport in St Peter. The parish contains the island's main port, with ferry services to Saint-Malo, Poole and Portsmouth.

    The Waterfront district of St Helier sits on land reclaimed during the 1980s. Since then, there have been numerous plans aimed at developing the area. The current planning framework covering the area is the Southwest St Helier Planning Framework, published in 2019. The plan aims to improve safety and convenience for pedestrians across La Route de la Libération (which is a road that runs through the area and is grade separated and at some points six lanes wide), including the possibility of an 'iconic bridge'; require major development proposals to have detailed landscaping schemes to enhance open space and secure a mix of uses in the area, including community facilities. The state-owned Jersey Development Company, who owns much of the land in the area, is managing the redevelopment and has contracted Gillespies, a landscape architecture firm, after a concept design competition.As of June 2021, the proposals include demolishing the existing Waterfront Centre buildings, redesigning th...

    St. Helier is twinnedwith: 1. Funchal, Madeira, Portugal 2. Avranches, France 3. Bad Wurzach, Germany 4. Trenton, New Jersey, United States of America

  10. Dumaresqs of Gros Puits, Ponterrin and St Helier - Jerripedia

    www.theislandwiki.org › index › Dumaresqs_of_Gros_Puits
    • Armorial's Inaccuracies
    • La Haule Genealogy Additions
    • Confusion of Two Heliers
    • Gros Puits and Ponterrin
    • Second Branch
    • St Helier Branch
    • Will
    • St Peter Branch
    • Battle of Jersey
    • Jean Dumaresq

    To begin with it is incorrect to say ‘the fief of La Haule; the true name is ‘the franc fief in St Brelade’. Also, whoever owned this fief in the 15th century, in the 16th it belonged to the Gervaise family, which already owned it in 1309, then to the Langlois, and only after 1586 the Dumaresqs. Anyway, here are some notes in support of this assertion: 1. 1535: Nicolas Gervaise, Seigneur of franc fief in St Brelade 2. January 1546: The franc fief in St Brelade sequestrated because of the ‘transport’ of the Gervaises 3. 1553: Johan Langlois said that he had acquired the franc fief in St Brelade 4. Philbert Gibaut, minor child of Johan Lamglois, Seigneur of the franc fief in St Brelade 5. 1587: Helier Dumaresq acquired the franc fief in St Brelade from Francoise Langlois, wife of Hugh Lempriere; on 21 September 1587 he answered for the fief at the Cour d’Heritage. We also note that in 1588 it was observed that Helier Dumaresq bought ‘the large house of the franc fief of St Brelade’. W...

    Perhaps it would be useful to complete or correct here the genealogy given in the Armorialof the Dumaresqs of La Haule. Edouard Dumaresq, Jurat from 1544 to 1566 (father of Helier Dumaresq who acquired the franc fief in 1587) was the eldest son of Jurat Thomas Dumaresq of St Brelade, and Georgette Hamptonne, daughter of Guillaume. His younger brother Jacques, Centenier of St Peter, married Thomasse, daughter of Edmond Baudains, and their daughter Catherine married Pierre Bisson, of St Peter. Edouard and Jacques Dumaresq had several sisters; Jeanne married Richard de Carteret of Vinchelez de Haut; Michelle married Guillaume Poingdestre, and the two others married Thomas Pipon and Jacques de Caen. By his marriage to Catherine Poingdestre dit Billot, daughter of Matthieu, Edouard Dumaresq had an elder son Helier, and probably a younger son Thomas, who settled in St Helier. We will give a list of his descendants below. Edouard Dumaresq also had two daughters: Jeanne, wife of Gilles Lemp...

    It is convenient to say here that the authors of the Armorialconfused Helier Dumaresq, son of Edouard of La Haule, with another Helier Dumaresq, to whom they mistakenly gave Francoise Hamptonne as a wife.This Helier Dumaresq was the younger son of Richard Dumaresq, Seigneur of Vinchelez de Bas and Leoville, Jurat from 1537 to 1556, and Collette Larbalestier. In reality he married a daughter of Guillaume Poingdestre dit Billot. He was not only Viscount, but Regent of St Mannelier from 1576 to 1581, the date of his death. He was buried at St Saviour on 31 May 1581. As the Armorialrightly says, several of the descendants of Helier, son of Richard, settled in England, andothers in Canada, on the island of Cap Breton; but there is an gap in the genealogy of this branch in the ‘’Armorial’’ which we believe it is useful to fill. Perry Dumaresq and William Grant Dumaresq, of Cap Breton, had a sister, Anne, who does not feature in the work. She married Dr Haire and their eldest daughter Henr...

    We now turn to the first of the branches which are the main objective of this work. It is divided into two smaller branches, those of Gros Puits and Ponterrin. The founder of this branch was Richard Dumaresq, younger son of Jurat Clement Dumaresq (1580-1627) and his second wife Marguerite Crafford. He was in turn the younger son of Jurat Richard Dumaresq (1538-56), Seigneur of Vinchelez de Bas and Leoville, and Collette Larbalestier. Having lived in St Helier for several years , Richard Dumaresq, son of Clement, went to live at Menage d’Allain, now Gros Puits, at St Saviour, the inheritance of Marie Lempriere, his wife. One sees in the contract of partageof the estate of Nicolas Lempriere, of 23 April 1612, that the share of Marie Lempriere, wife of Richard Dumaresq, consisted of Maison d’Allain, meadows, cotils, etc, the Maisonnette et Vaux de St Lawrence, etc. The same Richard Dumaresq had acquired from Jean Le Moigne, probably about 1600, his house and household. George Dumaresq...

    A second branch, also descended from Richard Dumaresq, son of Clement, separated from the main branch with Nicolas Dumaresq, who in 1640 married Sara Falle, eldest daughter and principal heiress of Philippe Falle, Seigneur of Ponterrin. This line included several Constables of St Saviour, Advocates of the Royal Court, and one Jurat, Nicolas Dumaresq, who was also Lieut-Bailiff in 1731. In 1713 this Nicolas Dumaresq owned among others, the following areas: Clos de Horman, Jardin de Labey, Pres de Falle, Courtils de Botterel and Les Valcornets, all in St Saviour, on the Royal Fief and Fief de Grainville; Clos de Malherchie, Clos de la Couture, Neuf Clos, Clos de Touzel, Pres et Cotils des Pendants, in Grouville on the Royal Fief and Fiefs de la Hougue and de la Fosse Astelle. The Dumaresqs of Ponterrin died out in the male line in 1767. The principal heiress, Francoise Dumaresq, married Thomas Le Hardy. Their initials TLH – FDMR and the date 1793 can still be seen on the façade of Sal...

    We now turn to the second of these branches. Founded by Thomas Dumaresq, younger son of La Haule, it was established in the town of St Helier itself. Edouard Dumaresq, son of Thomas, acquired from Elie Dumaresq in 1618, Maison de Billot, on the Fief du Prieur in St Helier. On 4 July 1688 Edouard Dumaresq, son of Jean, of the same family, sold what appears to be the same property to Jean Noel, son of Nicolas; 5 quarters of wheat rent was due on this house to the poor of St Helier. George Noel, a descendant of Jean, was the owner of this property in 1785. Edouard Dumaresq, son of Thomas, had also acquired in 1626, from George Kellet and his wife, two adjoining houses and households in the town of St Helier on the Fief du Prieur, between the house where Edward lived and that of Zacharie Duhamel, in the Vieille Rue, for 17 quarters of wheat rent. This branch included several clergymen, of whom three Rectors and a Minister of the French Savoy Church in London. We quote from an Act of the...

    The will of Sara Dumaresq, sister of the Rector, of whome wel will speak, is to be found in the archives of the Ecclesiastical Court. Perhaps we may be permitted to give here the principal passages which appear to us to be interesting. It carries the dateof 7 May 1688. After some preliminary phrases relating to her late parents and her religious convictions, she asked that her body be buried in the cemetery of St Helier, then she made, among others, the following bequests. 1. ”I leave to Philippe Journeaux, my brother, my big black sideboard, and to my sister, his wife, a dozen serviettes and a tablecloth, all of damask, never bleached, and to Marie Journeaux, my sister, a tablecloth and a dozen serviettes which have not been bleached, and to the wife of Jean Dumaresq, my brother, three dozen serviettes and three tablecloths of large damask; to MarieDumaresq, daughter of my brother, my silver tankard, half a dozen silver spoons …. And to the two daughters of Abraham Dumaresq and Mar...

    It is convenient to give some details about another branch of the Dumaresqs, no less important, who have been imperfectly treated in the Armorial: we wish to speak of a lineage originating in St Ouen, but established in St Peter and illustrated by Sir Jean Dumaresq, lieut-Bailiff of Jersey, one of its members. Jean Dumaresq was the son of Jean Dumaresq, Jurat from 1744-61, son of Elie, Constable of St Ouen, son of Philippe. His ancestors are shown in the Armorial, but for reasons which escape us their genealogy stops with the father of Jean, and leaves the others aside. We believe it is thus useful to give some proof, drawn from the Court Rolls, of the line of descent of Jean Dumaresq. 1. 23 October 1821: Mention that Jean Dumaresq was the son of Jean, son of Elie, and elder brother of Philippe Dumaresq, who had an administrator 2. 1814: Jean Dumaresq showed that the windmill which was anciently part of the Seigneurie of St Ouen was obtained by Elie Dumaresq, his grandfather, on 10...

    He was Captain of the Grenadiers of the North-West Regiment in 1783 and we believe that it was he who rallied the Militia on the point of being beaten and retreating when it saw Major Peirson falling mortally wounded. One finds him as Lieut-Colonel of the regiment in 1802. [The writer admits that it is difficult to be certain about the identity of the Captain Philippe de Carteret because there were four or five contemporaries with the same name.] In all probability it was this Philippe Dumaresq who, on 17 March 1781, was sworn in as Denonciateur, a function he exercised for several years. In 1785 he was a candidate for Jurat in opposition to Jacques Hammond, Seigneur of Samares, and contested the election before the Privy Council until December 1795, at which date he withdrew. However, Philippe Dumaresq settled in St John and became Constable of this parish on 4 December 1798. His re-election in December 1801 was not achieved without difficulties; he only had a three-vote majority o...

    Jean Dumaresq had, by his marriage to Marie Le Mesurier, daughter of the Governor of Alderney, a large family. His eldest son, Jean, started his political career as Constable’s Officer in St Peter on 29 November 1800, becoming Centenier of the parish on 27 April 1801. He was living then in the Vingtaine of Douet. He was sworn in as an Advocate of the Royal Court on 11 August 1801, Solicitor-General in 1810, and Attorney-General in 1817. He was also Colonel of the North-West Regiment. He died in November 1823 and was buried in St Peter’s Church. He had married in January 1804 Marie, daughter of Jurat Francois Valpy dit Janvrin. She died at Colomberie in 1840. There were several children of this marriage: 1. Jean, born in 1806, died young 2. George, born in 1807, spent part of his youth in Rio de Janeiro, returned to settle in Jersey, and died at Forest Hill, near Beaumont, in 1871. He had married Rachel, deughter of Matthieu Le Geyt, but left no heirs. 3. Rear Admiral Henry, born in...

  11. People also search for