People also ask
What are some fun facts about New Jersey?
What are facts in a list about New Jersey?
Is there any-thing good about New Jersey?
What's great about New Jersey?
- New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is often referred to as the "Diner Capital of the World."
- New Jersey has the most shopping malls in one area in the world, with 7 malls in a 25 square mile radius.
- The Passaic River in Paterson was the site of the first submarine ride in 1878 by its inventor John P. Holland.
- Salt water taffy's origins can be traced back to Atlantic City in 1883.
- Some of the most prolific inventions of the 20 century happened right here in New Jersey. One was done by Thomas Edison when he introduced the world to his idea of an electric light bulb.
- New Jersey is the “diner capital of the world.” This is mainly because of certain conditions that helped flourish the dining culture in the state. First, due to the early development of the transportation system in the state, when people were out commuting, they needed some place to stop and feed themselves.
- The world’s first dinosaur statue was discovered in Haddonfield, New Jersey in October 1858. It was the first complete dinosaur skeleton to be found and the first to be publicly displayed as well.
- The world’s largest light bulb which is 13 feet tall and weighs eight tons stands near Thomas Edison’s old lab in Edison, New Jersey. The light bulb was constructed in 1938 and it is encased by 153 individual pieces of Pyrex.
- The garden state. There’s still a debate over the fact that who first called New Jersey the Garden State, whether it was Ben Franklin or Abraham Browning, but this is for sure that the phrase was used for the same reason.
- It’s an urban state! New Jersey is the only state where all its counties are classified as metropolitan areas with about 90% of the people living in an urban area.
- Beware…you might lose your car! North Jersey is quite infamous for being the car theft capital of the world. New Jersey beats even the 2 largest cities, NYC and LA put together with more cars stolen in Newark as compared to any other city.
- Bridge Capital of the US! John Roebling opened a factory in Trenton, New Jersey to meet the rising demand for his wire rope in 1848 and ended up building the suspension bridge across the gorge of the Niagara River, the Brooklyn Bridge and many other suspension bridges in the US.
Jul 19, 2014 · Here are 25 Interesting Facts About New Jersey. 1-5 Interesting Facts About New Jersey 1. In New Jersey there are cards issued by “Patrolmen’s Benevolent Associations” that can essentially get friends/family of the police out of minor tickets. – Source 2. New Jersey once tried to use eminent domain on an elderly woman’s home and…
- Of all New Jersey’s nicknames, "The Garden State" may be the most hotly debated. In 1954, Governor Robert Meyner was none too pleased when the state legislature passed a bill to add “The Garden State” to license plates.
- The state seashell is the knobbed whelk (Busycon carica). This large, predatory sea snail is probably better known for its meat, which is served in N.J.
- The first Miss America pageant was held on the Atlantic City boardwalk in September of 1921. The winner was 16-year-old Margaret Gorman of Washington D.C., who took home a $100 prize and a Golden Mermaid trophy.
- New Jersey has its own volcano. Experts estimate that the Beemerville volcano, in Sussex County, went out about 440 million years ago. The real estate surrounding the volcano has become a hot commodity.
- New Jersey is the birthplace of college football. On November 6, 1869, in New Brunswick, NJ, Rutgers hosted Princeton in the first intercollegiate football game, which Rutgers won, 6-4. @
- The longest boardwalk in the world is in Atlantic City. Spanning 5.5 miles, the Atlantic City boardwalk is not only the longest in the world, but also the oldest boardwalk in the U.S., opening in 1870.
- Cape May is one of the oldest seashore destinations in the United States.
- The first baseball game was played in Hoboken. On October 6, 1845, The Knickerbockers played the New York Baseball Club at Elysian Fields in Hoboken, NJ.
- New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the country (ok, we all knew that one)
- New Jersey is considered the “Diner Capital of the Country” with an estimated 525 diners.
- Atlantic City has the longest boardwalk in the world.
- New Jersey is home to the first baseball game (in Hoboken) and the first intercollegiate football game (Rutgers defeated Princeton)
Interesting New Jersey Facts New Jersey is known as the car theft capital of the nation. Wildwood, Atlantic City, Seaside heights and Cape May are just a handful of the 50-plus resort cities located in New Jersey. One of the largest seaports in the United States is located in Elizabeth, NJ.
howsmart.net has been visited by 10K+ users in the past month