Bacteria were among the first life forms to appear on Earth, and are present in most of its habitats. Bacteria inhabit soil, water, acidic hot springs, radioactive waste, and the deep biosphere of the earth's crust. Bacteria also live in symbiotic and parasitic relationships with plants and animals.
In general, gram-positive bacteria are monoderms and have a single lipid bilayer whereas gram-negative bacteria are diderms and have two bilayers. Some taxa lack peptidoglycan (such as the domain Archaea , the class Mollicutes , some members of the Rickettsiales , and the insect-endosymbionts of the Enterobacteriales ) and are gram-variable.
Bacteria vary widely in size and shape, but in general they are at least ten times larger than viruses. A typical bacterium is about 1 µm (one micrometer) in diameter, so a thousand bacteria lined up would be one millimeter long. There are about five nonillion (5×10 30) bacteria on Earth. Bacteria are identified and grouped by their shapes.
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a disease of the vagina caused by excessive growth of bacteria. Common symptoms include increased vaginal discharge that often smells like fish. The discharge is usually white or gray in color.
People also ask
What is the history of germs?
What is the species of eubacteria?
What are the names of germs?
What are the different types of microbes?
Pathogenic bacteria are bacteria that can cause disease. This article deals with human pathogenic bacteria. Although most bacteria are harmless or often beneficial, some are pathogenic, with the number of species estimated as fewer than a hundred that are seen to cause infectious diseases in humans.
- infections. You have to be careful with the bacterial infections. It can cause pneumonia, ear infection, cavities and sore throats.
- the benefits of bacteria. If you think that all bacteria are bad, you are wrong. Some of them are useful for the life of human being.
- one cell. The scientists believe that bacteria are the simplest form of life. The body of the bacteria only consists of one cell.
- the size and shape. The size and shape of bacteria are various. You can check the spiral shaped, spherical and rod shaped bacteria.
- digestive system. The bacteria are helpful for the cows. There are some bacteria which can promote the digestive system of a cow when this animal eats grass.
Characteristics. The lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are either rod-shaped (), or spherical (), and are characterized by an increased tolerance to acidity (low pH range).This aspect helps LAB to outcompete other bacteria in a natural fermentation, as they can withstand the increased acidity from organic acid production (e.g., lactic acid).
Aug 23, 2015 · Media in category "Bacteria" The following 161 files are in this category, out of 161 total. -060220- Unidentified bacterium dry tapping-mode (002) xy 620nm z 160nm (214911321).jpg 888 × 888; 69 KB
The field of bacteriology (later a subdiscipline of microbiology) was founded in the 19th century by Ferdinand Cohn, a botanist whose studies on algae and photosynthetic bacteria led him to describe several bacteria including Bacillus and Beggiatoa.