Oxfordshire (abbreviated Oxon, from Oxonium, the Latin name for Oxford)  is a landlocked county in South East England.The ceremonial county borders Warwickshire to the north-west, Northamptonshire to the north-east, Buckinghamshire to the east, Berkshire to the south, Wiltshire to the south-west and Gloucestershire to the west.
Oxfordshire was recorded as a county in the early years of...
Oxfordshire includes parts of three Areas of Outstanding...
The Oxfordshire County Council, since 2013 under no overall...
Oxfordshire (short Oxon, from the Latinised form Oxonia) is a county in the South East of England, bordering on Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, and Warwickshire.
The county of Oxfordshire in England was formed in the early years of the 10th century and is broadly situated in the land between the River Thames to the south, the Cotswolds to the west, the Chilterns to the east and The Midlands to the north, with spurs running south to Henley-on-Thames and north to Banbury.
Oxfordshire (/ [unsupported input] ˈ ɒ k s f ər d ʃ ər / or / ˈ ɒ k s f ər d ʃ ɪər /; airchaically the Coonty o Oxford; abbreviatit tae Oxon. frae the Laitin Comitia Oxoniae ("Coonty o Oxford", which city is Oxonia in the nominative case) is a coonty in the Sooth East region o Ingland.
People also ask
What county is Oxfordshire in?
Where are the towns and villages in Oxfordshire?
When was the County Council of Oxfordshire created?
What are the districts of Oxfordshire?
Oxfordshire County Council, established in 1889, is the county council, or upper-tier local authority, for the non-metropolitan county of Oxfordshire, in the South East of England, an elected body responsible for the most strategic local government services in the county.
County Councils were first introduced in England and Wales with full powers from 22 September 1889 as a result of the Local Government Act 1888, taking over administrative functions until then carried out by the unelected Quarter Sessions. The areas they covered were termed administrative counties and were not in all cases identical to the traditional shire counties, but in Oxfordshire the whole 'ceremonial county' came under the authority of the new council. The new system of local democracy wa
Oxfordshire County Council provides a wide range of services, including education, social services, public health,highway maintenance, waste disposal, emergency planning, consumer protection and town and country planning for matters to do with minerals, waste, highways and education. This makes it one of the largest employers in Oxfordshire, with an annual budget of £899 million in 2013–14.
Since 1889, members have been elected for a term of office, with elections held all together on the "first past the post" system. Until the 1970s, the elected members chose aldermen, whose term of office was for six years, and who once appointed were also voting members of the council. This form of membership was ended by the Local Government Act 1972, so that after 1974 only honorary aldermen could be appointed.
Wallingford (/ ˈ w ɒ l ɪ ŋ f ər d /) is a historic market town and civil parish located between Oxford and Reading on the River Thames in England.. Historically located in the county of Berkshire, it moved to Oxfordshire in 1974 as a result of the 1972 Local Government Act.
Oxford (/ ˈ ɒ k s f ər d /) is a city in England. It is the county town and only city of Oxfordshire.In 2017, its population was estimated at 152,450. It is 56 miles (90 km) northwest of London, 64 miles (103 km) southeast of Birmingham, and 61 miles (98 km) northeast of Bristol.
- Early settlement
- Parish church
- Bampton Castle
- Other notable buildings
Bampton is variously referred to as both a town and a village. The Domesday Book recorded that it was a market town by 1086. It continued as such until the 1890s. It has both a town hall and a village hall.
The core of the village is on gravel terraces formed of Summertown-Radley or flood plain terrace deposits. It is just east of Shill Brook, which flows south to join the River Thames, and just north of a smaller stream that flows west to join Shill Brook. The A4095 road passes through the village.
The Bampton area has been settled since the Iron Age and Roman periods.
The earliest parts of the Church of England parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin are 10th- or 11th-century, when it was built as a late Saxon Minster. It was rebuilt in the 12th century as a cruciform Norman church. It received Gothic additions from late in the 13th century to early in the 16th century. The architect Ewan Christian restored it in 1868–70. It is a Grade I listed building.
In 1315 King Edward II granted Aymer de Valence, 2nd Earl of Pembroke a licence to crenellate at Bampton. He had Bampton Castle built just west of Shill Brook. Much of the building survived until the Commonwealth of England in the 17th century, when the gatehouse and part of the curtain wall were adapted to form Ham Court. It is now a private house and a Grade II* listed building.
After the Norman conquest of England, William the Conqueror granted the church of St Mary the Virgin to Leofric, Bishop of Exeter. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter Cathedral have held the advowson of the parish ever since. Late in the 11th or early in the 12th century the Dean and Chapter had a prebendal house built just west of the parish church. There is some 13th-century work on the east wing, and the house was altered and enlarged in the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries. It is now called The Dean
Beckley is a village in Oxfordshire about 4.5 miles (7 km) northeast of the centre of Oxford . Beckley is part of the civil parish of Beckley and Stowood . The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 608. Beckley Parish church of the Assumption of the Blesséd Virgin Mary Beckley Location within Oxfordshire Population 608 (parish, including Stowood) (2011 Census) OS grid reference ...
- related to: Oxfordshire wikipedia
The closest thing to an exhaustive search you can find - SMH