en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_in_music#:~:text=The 1980s saw the emergence of dance music,Rock music continued to enjoy a wide audience.
- The 1980s saw the emergence of dance music and new wave. As disco fell out of fashion in the decade's early years, genres such as post-disco, Italo disco , Euro disco and dance-pop became more popular. Rock music continued to enjoy a wide audience.
People also ask
What are all the types of Music in the 80s?
What was the most popular music in the 80s?
What genre of music is the 80s?
What are the best 80s rock songs?
May 06, 2019 · Perhaps the most recognizable '80s music genre in terms of both name and sound, new wave helped generate many of the decade's most memorable style elements as well. But more than anything, this pop music distillation of punk rock's defiant spirit produced some top-notch guitar rock as well as a potent, keyboard-dominated sub-genre called synth pop (Devo, Gary Numan, Spandau Ballet).
Such music was originally born of and popularized via regional nightclub scenes in the 1980s, and became the predominant type of music played in discothèques as well as the rave scene. House music is a style of electronic dance music which originated in Chicago, Illinois, the USA in the early 1980s.
Popular music of the United States in the 1980s saw heavy metal, country music, Top40 hits, hip hop, MTV, CMJ, and new wave as mainstream. Punk rock and hardcore punk was popular on CMJ. With the demise of punk rock, a new generation of punk-influenced genres arose, including Gothic rock , post-punk , alternative rock , emo and thrash metal .
- Popular Music Genres of the 1980's. Pop. Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie, Cher, Hall & Oates, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, John Mellencamp, George Michael, Tiffany, New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, Wham!
- MTV. Arguably the most important event to influence music during the 1980s was the creation of the cable network MTV (Music Television). MTV was the first network to exclusively showcase music videos, making its debut on August 1st, 1981.
- New Pop Superstars. Pop stars and their music changed in the 1980s with the help of MTV and a greater focus on image. A new breed of mega-stars emerged, becoming iconic mascots for the genre and defining the decade through fashion, talent and persona.
- Hip Hop & Rap. Hip Hop/Rap music originated in African American communities in New York City in the 1970s and became more mainstream and part of popular culture in the mid to late 1980s.
Speaking of genres, the 1980s introduced (or re-introduced) many of them such as the resurgence of heavy metal, the advent of new wave, hip-hop, rap music, hair metal, all of which influenced music in the present. The 1980s also reflected the beginning of an era of great gap when it comes to income.
As such many of the 80s genres were carried over from the 70s - especially in the early 80s - such as disco, funk, punk (uk), new wave, post punk, ska/two-tone (uk), reggae, power pop, hard rock, heavy metal, etc, etc. Soft rock and other variations of rock carried over but became more broad-stream (soft rock, goth-rock, power rock).
- Popular Artists from The 1980s
- Music in 1987
Who were the most popular musical artists in the 1980s? 1. Michael Jackson 2. Blondie 3. Billy Joel 4. Hall & Oates 5. Olivia Newton-John 6. Survivor 7. Journey 8. Joan Jett 9. Lionel Richie 10. David Bowie 11. Culture Club 12. Duran Duran 13. Cyndi Lauper 14. Prince 15. Madonna 16. Foreigner 17. REO Speedwagon 18. Whitney Houston 19. Janet Jackson 20. Bon Jovi 21. U2 22. R.E.M. 23. Billy Idol 24. INXS 25. Rick Astley 26. Phil Collins 27. George Michael 28. Def Leppard 29. Van Halen 30. Poiso...
Technological advancements in audio and video recordings, record-breaking pop acts and high profiles for heavy metal and new age music highlighted 1987. Business boomed as sales of CD players encouraged record companies to reissue old albums on CD.Paul Simon and South African musicians played eight benefit concerts in 1987 to aid South African and American children.Madonna also held an AIDS benefit concert on July 13.In March, Janet Jackson’s album Control became the second album ever — after...
Music in the 1980s had its great moments. It really did. But sometimes eighties music knew how to suck worse than any music has ever sucked in the history of sucking.That’s probably because it was cheaper to record a single than ever before and there was more music being released than ever before, which inevitably leads to more garbage being released.Also, when you consider the influx of new digital instruments and recording equipment, many artists were experimenting with sounds they had no e...
Jan 28, 2019 · There are many different genres of music and each of these have several sub-genres. From the 1960s to the 80s, various music styles emerged, like the heavy metal music of the late 1960s and disco music which dominated the airwaves in the 70s. Let's look at four major musical genres that emerged and further evolved over the decades.