- The celebrities who played in Molly Bloom 's poker games included (clockwise from top left): Tobey Maguire, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alex Rodriguez, Macaulay Culkin, Ben Affleck and Pete Sampras. What's the most that Molly Bloom saw someone lose in a single night?
People also ask
What celebrities played Molly Bloom?
Who played Molly's game?
What is Molly's game about?
Who is Tobey Maguire in Molly's game?
- Miles Surrey
- Leonardo DiCaprio. A best friend of Maguire, Leo came to play poker when Molly’s games were just starting out. As Curtis told the Observer, he believes Maguire used his famous friend to get big fish to come to the table: “Tobey was basically paying their entry fee, and using Leo as a lure to get these billionaires like Alec Gores and Andy Beal to come to the games.”
- Rick Salomon. Salomon is probably best known for the sex tape he made with then-girlfriend Paris Hilton in 2004, but he’s a big-time poker player in his own right: He won $2.8 million at the 2014 World Series of Poker's Big One for One Drop event.
- Ben Affleck. When Maguire convinced Bloom to increase the buy-ins for the L.A. games, he promised to bring Affleck into the fold. Affleck is a notorious gambler—the guy was allegedly kicked out of the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas in 2014 for counting cards at a blackjack table.
- Alex Rodriguez. When Bloom takes her games to New York, she uses A-Rod the way Maguire had used Leo: He was a big name that elevated the status of the operation.
- Tobey Maguire. The Spider-Man star is rumored to be Player X, played by Michael Cera in the movie. In the book and movie, Player X is shown manipulating other players.
- Leonardo DiCaprio. It might not be a big surprise, given Maguire is known to be close friends with Leonardo DiCaprio. But the Oscar winner’s involvement seemed to be less than Maguire.
- Ben Affleck. The movie star’s involvement with gambling made headlines when he was banned from a blackjack table in Las Vegas after being accused of cheating.
- Nelly. The rapper is reportedly interested in high-stakes poker as well. Although a lot of the games were meant to be kept private ,some of the players would bring friends along to watch.
Molly's Game is a 2017 American biographical crime drama film written and directed by Aaron Sorkin (in his directorial debut), based on the 2014 memoir of the same name by Molly Bloom. It stars Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Kevin Costner, Michael Cera, Jeremy Strong, Chris O'Dowd, Joe Keery, Brian D'Arcy James, and Bill Camp.
Dec 29, 2017 · The fact that the character is played by Michael Cera, a thin, boyish actor like Maguire, only adds credence to this theory. Bustle has reached out to Maguire for comment, but hasn't heard back at...
Dec 25, 2017 · The True Story Behind the Movie Molly's Game. She didn’t actually have a dramatic skiing fall. In the opening scene of Molly’s Game, a young Molly skis over a twig during an Olympic qualifying run ... Her dad was hard on her. A mobster really did point a gun at her head. Charlie Jaffey wasn’t her ...
- Eliana Dockterman
The celebrities who played in Molly Bloom's poker games included (clockwise from top left): Tobey Maguire, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alex Rodriguez, Macaulay Culkin, Ben Affleck and Pete Sampras.
Jan 01, 2018 · Getty Actor Michael Cera attends "Molly's Game" New York Premiere at AMC Loews Lincoln Square on December 13, 2017 in New York City. He stars in the movie as "Mr. X." Molly’s Game tells the...
- Tobey Maguire Is Player X
- Celebrity Pays...
- But So Does Money...
- … and The Odd Shmuck
Where most of the characters at the table are composites representing the types of player who in Molly’s game. Michael Cera’s Player X has only a barely legally protective layer of doubt. Player X, is almost certainly based on Tobey Maguire. The real story is even worse that Cera makes it look. Maguire liked manipulating people even tried to make Molly bark like a seal for a tip on one occasion. On another he insisted on using his own shuffling machine, then charged the other players for it.
Maguire was the lifeblood of the game however and eventually the man who took the game away from Molly. He used his Hollywood contacts to bring in players like Leonardo DiCaprio– an anti-social player who always wore headphones according to Bloom, and close friend of Maguire. Celebrity was vital to the game, Ben Affleck was another regular (Bloom describes him as a lovely guy) and Edward Norton was supposed to have played, so did Paris Hilton’s ex-Rick Salomonwho immediately asked Molly if she wanted to have sex with him. A-Rod makes a special appearance in the book but doesn’t play in the game. However his presence affects all the players there, Molly noted. He came to drink in the atmosphere, the other players came for A-Rod.
Wealthy individuals like tech tycoon Alec Gores, or Andy Bealwho are specifically named in Molly’s book were among the rich who who came to play with the famous. Sometime the Billionaires would even answer in kind. The Olsen Twinsattended one game with a business leader according to Bloom.
One other player in the film who has likely real life counterpart is Maguire’s biggest victim: Houston Curtis, the movie producer. In the film he is played by Bill Camp and renamed Eustace. The terrible deal Maguire sets up for him remains the same from book to screen: So that’s a few of the real faces obscured behind the movie magic.