The Garmisch-Partenkirchen Rathaus (city hall) was built in 1935 by Oswald Bieber, with sculptures and painted decorations by noted artist Josef Wackerle. On the left is a postcard view showing the Garmisch post office decorated with a Nazi sign over the street.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen was a partner in the city of Munich's bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics but the IOC vote held on 6 July 2011 awarded the Games to Pyeongchang. The Winter Olympics were last held in the German -speaking Alps in 1976 in nearby Innsbruck, Austria.
People also ask
When was the Garmisch Partenkirchen Rathaus built?
What was the hotel rate in Garmisch in 1952?
Where is the ski town Garmisch Partenkirchen located?
When did Garmisch recreation area return to private ownership?
Garmisch Bahnhof (train station), around 1948 (Webmaster's collection) Taxi stand at the Garmisch Bahnhof, around 1948 (Webmaster's collection) The Garmisch Bahnhof area, January 1952 (Webmaster's collection) Rathausplatz with Town Hall in Garmisch, mid-1940s (Webmaster's collection) Tall sign near lamp post is a US Army locator directory
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a traditional Bavarian town with quaint cobblestone streets and half-timbered buildings. It lies in a convenient location just over an hour’s easy motorway drive from Munich to the north and just under an hour’s drive from the Austrian city of Innsbruck to the south.
- Tourism and Sightseeing
- Famous Residents
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is located in the Bavarian Alps, just below the Zugspitze which at 2962 meters is Germany's highest point. The city lies within the Loisach river valley between three mountain ranges, the Wetterstein Alps to the south, the Estergebirge, also known as the Bavarian Pre-Alps in the west, and the Ammergau Alps to the north. Following the Loisach river upstream leads to the Ehrwald valley in Austria.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, commonly known as Garmisch, often to the chagrin of residents of the Partenkirchen half of the city, is well known as a sport and resort town, and a member of the Best of the Alps organization. Garmisch and Partenkirchen were two separate towns, separated by the Partnach River, until 1935, when they were joined (against the will of the people) by Adolf Hitler to create a single economy large enough to host the 4th Winter Olympics in 1936. Garmisch-Partenkirchen was also slated to host the 5th Winter Olympics in 1940, but these games were cancelled due to World War II. During the early middle ages both towns were part of an area ruled by Henry the Lion, the founder of Munich. After Henry the Lion fell out with the Holy Roman Emperor, Fredrick Barbarossa, the area, now called the Werdenfelserland, passed to Henry's successor, Otto von Wittelsbach. In 1294 all of Werdenfelserland came under the control of the Bishop of Freising who ruled until the Bavarian secul...
The primary industries of the region are dairy farming and recreation. Garmisch-Partenkirchen hosts one of the four jumps in the Four Hills Tournament every year on New Years Day at the Olympic Ski Stadium, and FIS ski races on the Kandahar ski trail. Other Olympic sites remain, including the Ice Stadium, the natural bobsled track, and Reissersee, upon which the speed-skating and ice hockey events were held. Although the bobsled track is overgrown, an effort is underway to reclaim the track from years of growth. Garmisch-Partenkirchen will host the 2011 FIS Ski Championships.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is used by many tourists as a base for their travels in and around the Bavarian Alps. Locations within an hours travel include Munich, Innsbruck, the ski areas, both at Garmisch-Partenkirchen and at Lermoos, Ehrwald, Bieberwier, Seefeld, and Bichlbach, the royal castles of Ludwig II at Neuschwanstein and Linderhof, The Wieskirche, The Kloisterat Ettal, and the village of Oberammergau with it's famous Passion Play. To meet the needs of visitors to the area, over 1,000 lodging areas exist within the city limits.
The September, 2007, population of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is currently 26,351 residents. The United States Army also maintains a garrison, golf course, recreation center, and school in town, increasing the population on any given day by 5-10%. Because of the large American presence, most of the population of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is fluent in English, although when asked if they speak English, most residents will reply "A little bit".
Garmisch-Partenkirchen was the home of composer Richard Strauss, and author Michael Ende. Strauss' villa is located on the north edge of town at the foot of Kramerspitzem where he lived from 1908 until 1949. His grave is located in the city cemetery on the North end of Garmisch. Michael Ende, the author of The Neverending Story, was born in Garmisch, in 1929, and is honored by Michael Ende Platz, a plaza in the pedestrian zone in downtown Garmisch which is the location of the local casino.
Special efforts were made to provide a winter sports program in 1945-46 to keep troops occupied during the demobilization of the US forces, including providing 15,000 pairs of skis and 12,000 pairs of ice skates in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Berchetesgaden. In addition to the requisitioned hotels and recreation facilities, new ones were built.
Wondering where to stay in 2021? Find great hotels near Garmisch-Partenkirchen City Hall from the market Garmisch-Partenkirchen with real guest reviews and ratings on Trip.com. Book Garmisch-Partenkirchen City Hall from the market Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels for your trip and get fantastic deals and discounts from Trip.com!
Gapartments has garden views, free WiFi and free private parking, set in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 1.2 km from Garmisch-Partenkirchen City Hall. Guests at Gapartments can enjoy hiking and skiing nearby, or make the most of the garden. The apartment is well designed and decorated, even small detailes are well thought of.
Built of brick, white marble, and limestone, Philadelphia City Hall is the world’s largest free standing masonry building. In 1976, it was designated a National Historic Landmark , and in 2006, also named a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineers .