Michael R. Pompeo was sworn in as the 70th U.S. Secretary of State on April 26, 2018. The Secretary of State, appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate, is the President's chief foreign affairs adviser. The Secretary carries out the President's foreign policies through the State Department, which includes the Foreign Service, Civil Service, and U.S. Agency for International Development.
Nov 22, 2020 · Biden Chooses Antony Blinken, Defender of Global Alliances, as Secretary of State The president-elect is also expected to name Jake Sullivan, another close aide of his, as national security...
People also ask
What are the responsibilities of the Secretary of State?
What is the job description of the Secretary of State?
What is the title of the Secretary of State?
Who is the head of the Department of State?
The current secretary of state is Mike Pompeo, who has served in the position in the administration of President Donald Trump since early 2018. On November 23, 2020, President-Elect Joe Biden announced that he would be nominating former Deputy Secretary of State (2015-17) Antony Blinken as the 71st United States Secretary of State.
Nov 23, 2020 · Joe Biden will nominate two veteran diplomats to the top US roles on the world stage – Antony Blinken as secretary of state and Linda Thomas-Greenfield as ambassador to the UN – in a move aimed at...
- Julian Borger
Nov 23, 2020 · (CNN) Joe Biden's decision to name Antony Blinken as his secretary of state is a telling pick that reveals what the President-elect views as his most urgent priorities in the wake of Donald Trump's...
Mike Pompeo of Kansas is the current Secretary of State since April 2018. He became Secretary when Rex Tillerson was fired by President Donald Trump . The position of Secretary of State was created in April 6, 1789.
Donald Trump asked Georgia’s Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to recalculate the state’s election votes in an infamous phone call ...
HuffPost via Yahoo News
5 days ago
- Colin Powell ‘no longer considers himself Republican’ and says Trump should resignThe Independent via Yahoo News5 days ago
- Joe Biden’s cabinet: Who is nominated?The Independent via Yahoo News4 days ago
- US cancels UN envoy's visit to Taiwan ahead of Biden inaugurationThe Telegraph via Yahoo News3 days ago
- Mike Pompeo cancels Europe trip after officials decline to meet with himThe Independent via Yahoo News4 days ago
- Trump's presidency not just a blip in US foreign policyAssociated Press via Yahoo News6 hours ago
- Biden taps career diplomat William Burns as CIA chiefAFP via Yahoo News5 days ago
- The mouse that roared: How tiny Luxembourg provided a fitting end to Trump-era foreign policyThe Independent via Yahoo News3 days ago
- Colin Powell Says He 'Can No Longer' Call Himself a Republican After Riot Incited by TrumpPeople via Yahoo News5 days ago
- Tech companies cutting off Parler could be a "kiss of death"CBS News via Yahoo News5 days ago
Secretary of state is an official in the state governments of 47 of the 50 states of the United States, as well as Puerto Rico and other U.S. possessions. In Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, this official is called the secretary of the commonwealth.
Secretaries of State. On September 15, 1789, before Jefferson could return to take the post, Washington signed into law another act which changed the name of the office from Secretary of Foreign Affairs to Secretary of State, changed the name of the department to the Department of State, and added several domestic powers and responsibilities to both the office of secretary and the department.