County Tyrone (/ tɪˈroʊn /; from Irish: Tír Eoghain, meaning 'land of Eoghan') is one of the thirty-two counties of Ireland, one of the six counties of Northern Ireland and one of the nine counties of Ulster. It is no longer used as an administrative division for local government but retains a strong identity in popular culture.
The name Tyrone is derived from Irish Tír Eoghain 'land of...
With an area of 3,155 square kilometres, Tyrone is the...
The county was administered by Tyrone County Council from...
This is a sortable table of the approximately 2,162 townlands in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.. Duplicate names occur where there is more than one townland with the same name in the county. Names marked in bold typeface are towns and villages, and the word Town appears for those entries
People also ask
Where is County Tyrone in the United Kingdom?
When did County Tyrone become a county council?
Where is Pomeroy, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland?
Where is Caledon in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is a list of cities, towns, villages and hamlets in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. See the list of places in Northern Ireland for places in other counties. Towns are listed in bold.
Caledon is a small village and townland in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is in the Clogher Valley on the banks of the River Blackwater, 7 miles from Armagh. It lies in the southeast of Tyrone and near the borders of County Armagh and County Monaghan. It is situated in the historic barony of Dungannon Lower and the civil parish of Aghaloo. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 387 people. It is a designated conservation area. It was historically known as Kinnaird (Irish: Cionn Aird, mea
The old settlement of Kinard was burned in 1608 by the forces of Sir Cahir O'Doherty during O'Doherty's Rebellion. Sir Henry Óg O'Neill, the main local landowner, was killed by the rebels. Caledon House was built in 1779 by James Alexander, a member of the Irish House of Commons for Londonderry, who had previously in 1778 bought the Caledon Estate. James Alexander was made Baron Caledon in 1790 and later Viscount Caledon in 1797. The House was begun in 1779 to designs by Thomas Cooley, but ...
Caledon railway station opened on 2 May 1887, but finally closed on 1 January 1942. Tynan and Caledon railway station on the mainline opened by the Ulster Railway on 25 May 1858. In 1876 the Ulster Railway merged with other railways companies to become the Great Northern Railway. The station was finally closed on 1 October 1957.
On Census day there were 387 people living in Caledon. Of these: 1. 31.0% were under 16 years old and 16.2% were aged 60 and over; 2. 47.9% of the population were male and 52.1% were female; 3. 35.1% were from a Catholic community background 4. 60.0% were from a 'Protestant and O
Pomeroy is atop a large hill that dominates the surrounding countryside. From the Cookstown end, the road through the village gradually climbs a gradient up to a village square, The Diamond. The village is surrounded by the Pomeroy Hills. The surrounding countryside is a mixture of moorland and bog land. Stone age and Bronze Age cairns dot the landscape. Pomeroy is the closest settlement to the geographical centre of Ulster.
At the end of the 17th century there was no village in this area, just an extensive forest. In the plantation of Ulster James I and VI granted eight townlands to Sir William Parsons, Surveyor General of Ireland. In 1729 James Lowry inherited the land from his father, Robert of Aghenis Caledon.
The Portadown, Dungannon and Omagh Junction Railway opened Pomeroy railway station on 2 September 1861. From 1876 until 1958 it was part of the Great Northern Railway. The Ulster Transport Authority closed the station and the PD&O line on 15 February 1965. Throughout its history it had the highest altitude of any Irish gauge railway station in Ireland. West of Pomeroy the railway reached its summit, 561 feet above sea level, the highest point on Ireland's Irish gauge network.
Pomeroy is the home of a farm shop at Cloughbane Farm, which uses locally sourced meat, vegetables, potatoes, milk and flour in its products. The 180-acre farm is a fourth-generation, family-run beef and lamb farm outside Dungannon. The on-site farm shop and butchers were established in 2003 and in 2006 began selling home-cooked pies and take-away meals. In 2006 the company, which has won five UK Great Taste Awards, expanded after securing a supply deal with Tesco.
Pomeroy Plunketts is the local Gaelic Athletic Association club.
Ballygawley or Ballygawly (from Irish: Baile Uí Dhálaigh, meaning ' Ó Dálaigh 's townland') is a Village in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is about 20 kilometres southwest of Dungannon, near the meeting of the A5 Derry – Dublin and A4 Dungannon– Enniskillen roads.
Jan 28, 2021 · Tyrone is the largest county in northern Ireland. It is one of four counties in Northern Ireland which currently has a majority of the population from a Catholic community background. In the 12th century the kingdom of Ailech split into two sovereign territories and Cenél nEógain became Tír Eoghain, the land of Eoghan, Anglicised as Tyrone.
Tyrone, or T, a character from Trailer Park Boys. Tyrone, a character in Snatch. Tyrone, a character in the cartoon series Baggy Pants and the Nitwits. James, Linda, Jamie, and Edmund Tyrone, characters in Eugene O'Neill's play Long Day's Journey into Night. Count Tyrone Rugen, a character from The Princess Bride.
- related to: County Tyrone wikipedia