With 262,219 inhabitants at the beginning of 2019, Ghent is Belgium's second largest municipality by number of inhabitants. The metropolitan area, including the outer commuter zone, covers an area of 1,205 km 2 (465 sq mi) and has a total population of 560,522 as of 1 January 2018, which ranks it as the fourth most populous in Belgium.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent
With 262,219 inhabitants at the beginning of 2019, Ghent is Belgium's second largest municipality by number of inhabitants. The metropolitan area, including the outer commuter zone, covers an area of 1,205 km 2 (465 sq mi) and has a total population of 560,522 as of 1 January 2018, which ranks it as the fourth most populous in Belgium.
About Ghent Belgium's fourth-largest - and most beautiful - city is home to a quarter of a million people and a flourishing flower export trade. An important port, Ghent's city center is a pedestrian area that is like a museum to early Flemish architecture and a testament to the city's medieval might.
Ghent is a city where people enjoy life: a chilled-out place where anything goes and a city that feels human. Its friendly, welcoming people love the good life. Don’t miss the chance to admire the world-famous masterpiece—the Mystic Lamb by the Van Eyck brothers—during your weekend trip. Mystic Lamb, lights and delicacies!
Ghent, Flemish Gent, French Gand, city, Flanders Region, northwestern Belgium. Ghent lies at the junction of the canalized Lys (Leie) and Scheldt (Schelde) rivers and is the centre of an urban complex that includes Ledeberg, Gentbrugge, and Sint-Amandsberg. Guild houses along the Lys River in Ghent, Belgium.
- Discover life in medieval Ghent at Gravensteen. Also known as “Castle of the Counts” in Dutch, this incredible structure was built in 1180. Today it houses the Arms Museum and the Museum of Judicial Objects.
- Admire the picturesque St Michael’s Bridge (Sint-Michielshelling) Perhaps one of the most picturesque areas in Ghent, it’s a great place to gaze at the surrounding architecture and down the river to Korenmarkt (Wheat Market).
- Marvel at the beauty of St Bavo’s Cathedral (Sint-Baafskathedraal) This historic 11 century icon of Ghent was a major factor in my decision to visit.
- Be amazed by St Bavo’s Abbey (Sint-Baafsabdij) Anyway, this abbey sure made up for the fact I couldn’t visit the cathedral. It was a very sobering feeling walking around these grounds knowing it’s history dates back to the 7 century.
The #1 Best Value of 238 places to stay in Ghent. Restaurant. Room service. Special offer. Hotel website. Ghent Marriott Hotel. Show Prices. #2 Best Value of 238 places to stay in Ghent. Free Wifi. Free parking. Hotel Orion. Show Prices. 20,087 reviews. #3 Best Value of 238 places to stay in Ghent.
- Be Awestruck By Gravensteen. Quite probably the most breathtaking sight in Ghent, Gravensteen is a 12th Century castle built for the count of Flanders.
- Adore the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb. The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb is thought to be one of the world’s earliest oil paintings and dates back to the early 15th Century.
- See Fine Art at the MSK. The MSK art gallery is housed in what looks much like an Ancient Greek temple. The artwork will soon remind you that you are in fact still in Belgium however due to the great collection of works from Belgian and Low Counties artists.
- Eat out in Patershol. A well hidden home of many great restaurants, Patershol is the former location of the leather tradesmen in Ghent. The winding cobbled lanes and houses haven’t much changed from this time and are a great way to experience what Ghent was like many years ago.
Pleasure your palate with the effervescent delight of Belgian beer on a beer tasting tour of Ghent. With a connoisseur guide, stroll around the city and visit ambient bars renowned for their fine selection of beers.
The median rent for an apartment in Ghent, Belgium decreased by 1% to 791 €. The median rent for a house is still 2.570 € with no significant changes this month. An average room will now go for 464 €, the median rent price for a room decreased by 0.1%. Median rent for residential apartments in as of Jan, 2021.
- related to: Ghent Belgium
booking.com has been visited by 1M+ users in the past month
The Best Vacation Rental Listings - Fast Company