People also ask
What are some alternative rock bands from the 90s?
What does 'indie' as a music genre mean?
What is an alternative rock band?
What are some good indie songs?
Browse the top indie rock artists to find new music. Scrobble songs to get recommendations on tracks you'll love.
Indie rock takes its name from "independent," which describes both the do-it-yourself attitudes of its bands and the small, lower-budget nature of the labels that release the music. The biggest indie labels might strike distribution deals with major corporate labels, but their decision-making processes remain autonomous.
• artists (such as Creed and The Offspring) who were or are signed to indie label, but were never considered "indie rock" in the first place. • Most 1980's "college rock" and "post-punk" bands (REM, Hüsker Dü) • most, if not all, Britpop artists.
- Pavement. The most ineffably indie-rock band of all time, and not just because pretty much every indie band that picked up a guitar after 1992’s Slanted and Enchanted was copying them on some level.
- Sonic Youth. Sonic Youth was the coolest band when it emerged out of the noisy New York art-rock scene in the early ’80s—and it still was when the group broke up three decades later.
- Pixies. With their aggressively angular sound, grad-student looks, and frequent lyrical references to conspiracy theories and surrealist art films from the silent movie era, the Pixies were never going to be rock stars in their own time.
- Neutral Milk Hotel. In 1998, this Athens, Georgia, group released its second album, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, that wove together twee pop, archaic Appalachian folk music, thrift-store orchestral arrangements and dreamily hallucinatory lyrics about Jesus, Anne Frank and reincarnation.
Dec 06, 2018 · Indie Rock originally meant DIY bands who produced music on their own and released their music through small non-corporate labels.Most new bands except for a blessed few start their career in indie mode.They have no money, primitive equipment, som...
- Sonic Youth Perhaps the single greatest influence on modern indie-rock, Sonic Youth's album Daydream Nation is held by many indie-rock devotees (read: hipsters) to be the greatest album ever released.
- Joy Division Joy Division's dark post-punk shaped the future for bands like the Killers and Interpol, with pulsing basslines and similarly haunting, echoing vocals that the Smiths would employ themselves a few years later.
- R.E.M. On the less guitar-heavy side of things, R.E.M. 's influence can be felt like an earthquake through all popular forms of indie-rock. They were doing the jangly guitars at about the same time as the Smiths, even drawing them comparisons as the "American version" of that band, but their early work also drew on post-punk attitudes and minimalist guitar-and-bass rhythms.
- Dinosaur Jr. came roaring out of the lo-fi scene melding the influences of classic guitar rock with heavy-lidded slacker/stoner vocals, the jangly guitars of the budding "college rock" scene, and Sonic Youth's DIY recording principles.
This is a list of notable indie rock artists. Individual musicians are listed alphabetically by their last name. Individual musicians are listed alphabetically by their last name. This is a dynamic list and may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness.
Indie rock is a vague term used to identify rock artists that are or were unsigned, or have signed to small record labels, rather than major record labels. It may also describe artists which have a specific "sound", and is therefore a genre, although this label is contested by many.