Here are some common types of hard-shell ticks:
- American dog tick: Also known as a wood tick, they are a reddish-brown ...
- Blacklegged tick: Also known as the deer tick, or Lyme disease tick, these reddish-brown insects have black legs ...
- Brown dog tick: True to their name, these ticks are brown, and are usually found on dogs ...
- Gulf Coast tick: These light brown ticks are found in states along the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Coast ...
May 12, 2020 ·
- Lone star tick. Have you heard of ticks that cause an allergic reaction to red meat...
- American dog tick. If bitten by the American dog tick, there’s a risk it can give you...
- Brown dog tick. Sorry to say, there is no place in the U.S. that is safe from the brown dog tick.
Feb 28, 2019 · Here are some of the more common ticks and the geographic locations where you'll most likely encounter them. Tick species guide. American dog tick. Black-legged tick. Brown dog tick. Groundhog tick. Gulf Coast tick. Lone Star tick. Rocky Mountain wood tick. Soft tick. Western black-legged tick.
- American Dog Tick (Dermacentor variabilis) The American dog tick have a dark brown body. Females have an off-white shield, while adult males look more mottled.
- Blacklegged “Deer” Tick (Ixodes scapularis) This tick is most easily identified by its reddish-orange body, black shield and dark black legs. Pathogens: The deer tick is known to transmit Borrelia burgdorferi (the agent of Lyme disease), Borrelia mayonii (which causes a Lyme-like illness), Borrelia miyamotoi and Borrelia hermsii (that both cause relapsing fever Borreliosis), Ehrlichia muris (ehrlichiosis), Anaplasma phagocytophilum (anaplasmosis), Babesia microti (babesiosis), multiple species of Rickettsia, deer tick virus, and Powassan virus.
- Brown Dog Tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) The brown dog tick is a reddish brown with a narrow shape in comparison to other ticks. Pathogens: All life stages of this tick can transmit Rocky Mountain spotted fever (Rickettsia rickettsia), Q Fever, and other rickettsioses to humans.
- Groundhog Tick (Ixodes cookei) The groundhog tick, also known as woodchuck tick, has a light brown or blond color. Pathogens: The groundhog tick is the primary vector for Powassan virus disease.
A Closer Look at the Different Types of Ticks. AMERICAN DOG TICK. (Dermacentor variabilis) EASTERN BLACKLEGGED TICK/DEER TICK. (Ixodes scapularis) BROWN DOG TICK. (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) GULF COAST TICK. (Amblyomma maculatum) LONE STAR TICK. (Amblyomma americanum) ROCKY MOUNTAIN WOOD TICK. ...
Diverse kinds (species) of ticks can be found across North America, and many more are present on other continents. Fortunately, just a limited array of ticks across the globe attack people and pets; the rest feed upon birds and other animals.
Mar 22, 2018 · How to Identify These 10 Tick Species 1.Pacific Coast Tick. 2. Western-Blacklegged Tick. 3. Gulf Coast Tick. 4. Cayenne Tick. 5. Rocky Mountain Wood Tick. 6. Brown Dog Tick. 7. Lone Star Tick. 8. American Dog Tick. 9. Winter Tick. 10. Deer Tick (aka Blacklegged Tick).
People also ask
How do I identify different ticks?
What are the different types of ticks?
What are facts about ticks?
How many different types of ticks are there?
Apr 02, 2020 · Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum) Where found: Coastal areas of the U.S. along the Atlantic coast and the Gulf of Mexico. Transmits: Rickettsia parkeri rickettsiosis, a form of spotted fever. Comments: Larvae and nymphs feed on birds and small rodents, while adult ticks feed on deer and other wildlife.
Also according to the RI Department of Health, there are two other species of ticks that carry Lyme disease: One is I. Pacificus, or the Western Black-Legged Tick which, and is VERY similar to I. Scapularis, the Black-Legged Tick (Deer Tick).
The different kinds of ticks can range in color from shades of brown to reddish brown and black. As they take in more blood, ticks grow. At their largest, ticks can be about the size of a marble.
- Kimberly Holland