Yahoo Web Search

  1. About 7,490,000 search results
  1. The Alpena and Northern Railroad was built in 1893 from Alpena (north of the Thunder Bay River) to LaRoque (now known as Hawks) in Presque Isle County. The Jackson Lake branch from LaRoque to the Valentine Lake area in Montmorency County was built in 1894. This railroad was affiliated with the logging interests of the Alger, Smith & Company.

  2. The Alpena and Northern Railroad is a defunct railroad which operated briefly in northern Michigan during the 1890s.. The company incorporated on July 28, 1893, with the intention of building an 85-mile (137 km) line from Alpena to Mackinaw City, on the south shore of the Straits of Mackinac.

  3. The first common carrier railroad in Alpena was the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad which entered Alpena from the south around 1886 and was built by Alger, Smith and Co. interests (a logging company). A second road, also owned by Alger, Smith & Co., was the Alpena and Northern Railroad, which was opened from Alpena to LaRocque on November ...

  4. www.michiganrailroads.com › stations-locations › 68-alpenamichiganrailroads.com - Alpena, MI

    The Alpena & Northern railroad was constructed northwest into the forests around 1893 after the area became a logging center at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River.The Huron Portland Cement Company began producing cement from the region's large limestone deposits in 1907. The Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena railroad entered Alpena in about 1915.

  5. The Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena railroad was built to log northern Michigan's forests. The railroad was owned by the White family, which owned a large saw mill facility on the southeast edge of Lake Charlevoix. (Lake Charlevoix boats had access to Lake Michigan via the Round Lake canal at Charlevoix.) Photo Info/Credit: The former BCG&A office ...

  6. On March 28, 1905, the Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena Railroad Company was incorporated and became the successor to the Boyne City & Southeastern Railroad. It was proposed that the railroad would eventually reach Alpena on Lake Huron, 62 miles (100 km) to the east. On November 25, 1905, the railroad reached the town of Gaylord where it ...

  7. March 12: Epworth League Railway in Mason County was organized (later named "Ludington Northern" and builds 4 mile long line from Ludington to Hamlin Lake. [MDOT/MRRC] April 16: Alpena and Northern purchased by the Detroit and Mackinac RR and designated as it's Northern Division. The depot is located near Dock Street in Alpena.

  1. People also search for