The Old New Synagogue (Czech: Staronová synagoga; German: Altneu-Synagoge), also called the Altneuschul, situated in Josefov, Prague, is Europe's oldest active synagogue. It is also the oldest surviving medieval synagogue of twin-nave design. Completed in 1270 in gothic style, it was one of Prague's first gothic buildings. A still older Prague synagogue, known as the Old Synagogue, was demolished in 1867 and replaced by the Spanish Synagogue
Dating from the reign of the emperor Claudius (41-54 CE), the Ostia Synagogue located in ancient Ostia Antica, the seaport of Imperial Rome, is the oldest synagogue in Europe and one of the oldest synagogues in the world.
Apr 26, 2019 · The Old New Synagogue in Prague (rarely called the Old New School) is the oldest preserved synagogue in Europe and one of the oldest buildings in Prague. It is located in the former Jewish quarter Josefov in the Old Town of Prague and is visited daily by many tourists. The synagogue was built in the 13th century.
The Alte Synagoge (Old Synagogue) in Erfurt, Germany, is one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Europe, its oldest parts dating back to the late 11th century. Most parts of the building date from around 1250–1320. It is thought to be the oldest synagogue building intact to its roof still standing in Europe.
Nov 21, 2014 · Ostia’s Synagogue, the Oldest in Europe Ostia: Port of port of the Tiber in the Tyrrhenian Sea, the connection between Rome and the rest of the world, the first river port in Italy.
- The Old-New Synagogue. Synagogue. © PRISMA ARCHIVO / Alamy Stock Photo. Believed to be the oldest working synagogue in the world, the Old-New Synagogue in the Josefov district of Prague was built in 1270 as one of the country’s first Gothic-style buildings.
- Ben Ezra Synagogue. Synagogue. © reidecki / Getty Images. Once the centre for Jewish worship in Egypt, Ben Ezra is regarded as the oldest synagogue in the world, built in CE 882.
- Dubrovnik Synagogue. Synagogue. The Dubrovnik Synagogue is the second oldest continuously existing synagogue in Europe and the oldest Sefardic synagogue still in use today.
- Scolanova Synagogue. Synagogue. © Francesco Bonino / Alamy Stock Photo. This Italian synagogue has not only withstood the test of time, but also an aggressive wave of anti-Semitism.
Mar 04, 1986 · ITALIAN SYNAGOGUE MAY BE OLDEST IN EUROPE. By Roberto Suro, Special To the New York Times. March 4, 1986. Credit... The New York Times Archives. See the article in its original context from. March...
- Roberto Suro
Jan 15, 2016 · The ancient main synagogue in Barcelona is one of the oldest in Europe. The synagogue is tiny – two rooms below street level – disguising the fact that before the pogroms of 1391 and the expulsion of 1492, roughly 15%-20% of Barcelona’s population was Jewish.
- Carrer De Marlet 5, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
Oct 14, 2019 · The Ancient Synagogue of Barcelona, is located in the centre of Barcelona. It is believed to be the oldest synagogue in Europe. Archaeological investigations show that the original structure of the building was built in the third or fourth century; whether this structure was the synagogue cannot be said with certainty.
Edit: The oldest mainstream Judaic Synagogue that is functioning today would be the Ramban Synagogue in Jerusalem. It was founded by the great Rabbi Nachmanides in 1267 CE upon being exiled from the Kingdom of Aragon. (Thanks, Mike Josef.)