Silesian Voivodeship, or Silesia Province (Polish: województwo śląskie [vɔjɛˈvut͡stfɔ ˈɕlɔ̃skʲɛ]) is a voivodeship, or province, in southern Poland, centered on the historic region known as Upper Silesia (Górny Śląsk), with Katowice serving as its capital.
People also ask
What is Silesian Voivodeship?
Where is Lower Silesian Voivodeship?
Is Silesia part of Poland?
Why was the Silesian Voivodeship important?
- History and geography
- Cities and towns
Lower Silesian Voivodeship, or Lower Silesia Province in southwestern Poland, is one of the 16 voivodeships into which Poland is divided. The voivodeship was created on 1 January 1999 out of the former Wrocław, Legnica, Wałbrzych and Jelenia Góra Voivodeships, following the Polish local government reforms adopted in 1998. It covers an area of 19,946 square kilometres, and as of 2019 has a total population of 2,899,986. It is one of the richest provinces in Poland as it has valuable...
The history of the region dates back over a thousand years and Lower Silesia was once part of Medieval Poland, Bohemia, Austria, Prussia, Germany and modern Poland after 1945. At its foundation the territory was under the rule of the Piast dynasty and became a duchy. It was divided into small realms reigned by Piast princes after the testament of Bolesław III Wrymouth in 1138. During this time, cultural and ethnic Germanic influence prospered due to immigrants from the German-speaking ...
The Copernicus Airport Wrocław serves as an international and domestic airport.
Lower Silesian Voivodeship is one of the most visited voivodeships in Poland. It is famous for a large number of castles and palaces, inter alia: Książ Castle, Bolków Castle, Czocha Castle, Chojnik Castle, Cisy Castle, Grodno Castle, Grodziec Castle, Gorzanów Castle, Kamieniec Ząbkowicki Palace, Kliczków Castle, Niesytno Castle, Świny Castle. There is also a lot in the Jelenia Góra valley.
The voivodeship contains 91 cities and towns. These are listed below in descending order of population
Ligota s a village in Gmina Czechowice-Dziedzice, Bielsko County, Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland. It has a population of 4,454. The village lies on the edge of the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia. Ligota is a common name for villages in Western Poland. The word refers to the medieval custom of village founders being exempt from paying duties to their lords for a period of 5-8 years.
The village was first mentioned in 1452 as Elgot. Politically the village belonged initially to the Duchy of Teschen, a fee of the Kingdom of Bohemia, which after 1526 became part of the Habsburg Monarchy. According to Walter Kuhn the village was also known as Targersdorff. After Revolutions of 1848 in the Austrian Empire a modern municipal division was introduced in the re-established Austrian Silesia. The village as a municipality was subscribed to the political and legal district of Bielsko.
There are several landmarks in the village including Catholic Church of the Divine Providence from 1801-1806 and old dwór.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Ogrodzona [ɔɡrɔˈd͡zɔna] is a village in Gmina Dębowiec, Cieszyn County, Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland. It has a population of 838 (2004). The name is of cultural origins and literally means [a] fenced/penned [place, village] (feminine adjective from Polish ogrodzenie).
Jaworze is a village and the seat of Gmina Jaworze in the south-west part Bielsko County, Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland. It has a population of 6,195. It lies in the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia. The village has been known for its thermal qualities. As early as in 19th century waters rich in iodide-bromine salts. Every year many people suffering from respiratory illnesses visit. Presently there are three medical centers, which offer among other things specialist rehabilitation pr
The Polish name is of topographic origins and is derived from sycamore trees (Polish: jawor. German name is a composition of a personal name Ern(st) and dorf (German: a village).
The village was first mentioned in a Latin document of Diocese of Wrocław called Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis from around 1305 as item in Javorse. It meant that the village was in the process of location. The creation of the village was a part of a larger settlement campaign taking place in the late 13th century on the territory of what will be later known as Upper Silesia. Politically the village belonged initially to the Duchy of Teschen, formed in 1290 in the process of ...
Jaworze lies in Silesian Foothills and on northern edge of Silesian Beskids. Four valleys crossing the village – of Kammienny, Wysoki, Szeroki and Jesionki streams abundant with flora enriched with protected species and frequently visited walking areas. The south border of the commune are the peaks of mountains visited in large numbers by tourists. The main street of Jaworze called Zdrojowa Street, almost 4 km long, runs from the north border of the commune at the state Cieszyn road to ...
The favourite route in Silesian Beskids is the climb or ride by cable car on the Szyndzielnia mountain and then marching or walking you may get to Klimczok and Błatnia and from there walk down to Jaworze or Nałęże or even further at the direction of Brenna or other mountain peaks. Tourism and agricultural tourism are essentially crucial to the development of the Jaworze Commune. Wooded areas of the Commune, mountain slopes and other natural values like mineral water resources are the ...