Tiger Stadium, previously known as Navin Field and Briggs Stadium, was a baseball park located in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan.It hosted the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball from 1912 to 1999, as well as the Detroit Lions of the National Football League from 1938 to 1974.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Stadium_(Detroit)
Tiger Stadium, previously known as Navin Field and Briggs Stadium, was a baseball park located in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan.It hosted the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball from 1912 to 1999, as well as the Detroit Lions of the National Football League from 1938 to 1974.
- America’s Classic Ballparks - Tiger Stadiumyoutube.com
- Tiger Stadium and Detroityoutube.com
- April 26, 1986 - White Sox Meet Detroit at Tiger Stadiumyoutube.com
- Detroit PAL Corner opening at site of Old Tiger Stadium this weekendyoutube.com
Tiger Stadium was designed by the father and son team of Frank C. Osborn and Kenneth H. Osborn. Frank Osborn founded Osborn Engineering in Cleveland in 1892. The company pioneered in the use of reinforced concrete and built municipal and industrial facilities throughout the country.
Perhaps one of the most popular stadiums in baseball history, Tiger Stadium was the home of the Detroit Tigers for nearly a century. Located at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull Avenues, it was a mecca for generations of Tiger fans. Baseball began being played at this location in 1896 when Detroit owner Arthur Van Der Beck bought the club and constructed a 5,000 wooden ballpark. Named after Tigers catcher Charlie Bennett, the Tigers first game at Bennett Park was on April 28, 1896. In 1901, the Tigers became a charter member of the American League and the capacity of the ballpark was increased to 8,500. The grandstand was in the shape of a L as the covered grandstand extended from behind third base to home and attached to a bleacher section along the first base side. Located in the outfield were trees, the Tigers clubhouse and the groundskeepers sheds. By the 1908 season, the playing field was reduced as the main grandstand was extended into the field by 40 feet. A new bleacher section along the third base side was added increasing the capacity to 10,000. Bennett Parks capacity again increased in 1911 to 18,000 when bleachers were added in right and left field. Because the stadium was built of wood, the threat of fire was great. This led to the entire ballpark being demolished after the 1911 season. A new ballpark of steel and concrete was constructed on the same site. Homeplate was moved from right field to the location where it was until Tiger Stadium closed. On April 20, 1912 the Detroit Tigers played their first game at their new ballpark, named Navin Field after the clubs owner, Frank Navin. It could seat 23,000 spectators as a covered grandstand extended down the first and third base lines with bleachers in right field. In centerfield was the first baseball hitters backdrop in baseball. The first major addition to Navin Field occurred before the 1923 season when a second deck was added between the first and third base and a press box was added on top of the roof. This addition increased the capacity at Navin Field rose to 30,000.
The 1930s expansion project gave Tiger Stadium its look that it retained for 70 years. In 1935, Navin Field was renamed Briggs Stadium after owner Walter O. Briggs. A series of expansions began prior to the 1936 season that included adding a second deck to the single deck pavilion that extended down the first base line and around into right field. In order to expand the stadium in right field, a problem had to be solved. Trumbull Avenue was located behind the right field fence therefore the grandstands could not be expanded out. To solve the problem, the right field line was shortened to 325 feet and the upper deck extended over the lower deck and over the playing field 10 feet. Construction was completed by April 1937 and Briggs Stadium could seat 36,000 fans. The following season the single deck pavilion that extended down the third base line and around into left field was double decked. A gap between the double decks in right and left field was filled with two decks of bleachers with the scoreboard placed on top. With this expansion, Briggs Stadium was now enclosed and had a capacity of 54,500, making it one of baseballs largest stadiums. Dimensions were 340 ft. (left), 440 ft. (center), and 325 ft. (right).
Night baseball came to Briggs Stadium on June 15, 1948. During the same year, the press box was extended around the third deck. In 1961, Briggs Stadium was renamed Tiger Stadium when the team was bought by John Fetzer. Tiger fans became outraged in 1972 when Fetzer announced that he was going to build a new multipurpose stadium. At the polls that year, voters rejected bonds to construct a new stadium along the Detroit River. Throughout its history the stadium hosted many other events other than baseball. The Detroit Lions (NFL) and other football teams played at the ballpark from 1938 to 1974. Boxing matches, concerts, and many other activities took place at the stadium. Fire broke out at Tiger Stadium in 1977 and destroyed the press box. The city of Detroit bought the stadium from the Tigers for $1 and decided to renovate Tiger Stadium in 1978. Over seven years a $18.5 million facelift was completed at the stadium. This included replacing the original green seats with new orange and blue seats, a new video/scoreboard replaced the old hand operated one in centerfield, a new press box with two luxury suites were hung from the second deck, concessions and restrooms were updated, and new blue and white siding was added to the facade of the stadium. In 1993, $8 million in expansions were completed at Tiger Stadium, including building a food court called the Tiger Plaza, where the players once parked.
Detroit Tiger fans continued to enjoy going to baseball games at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull until it closed. Many fans did not mind the columns that may have been in front of their seat or other obstructed views. The overhang in right field provided many homeruns that may not have been homeruns in other ballparks and the flagpole in centerfield could cause problems for outfielders. If a Tiger fan did not sit in the bleachers in the outfield listening to Ernie Harwell on a hand held radio, they did not know what they were missing. From the green grass to the green seats and eventually the blue and orange seats, Tiger Stadium reminded fans what baseball was like in 1914. By the early 1990s the owner of the Tigers wanted a new luxurious ballpark for team. A new ballpark for the Tigers was built in downtown Detroit, and the club moved to Comerica Park after the 1999 season. The last game at Tiger Stadium was on September 27, 1999. Many fans were saddened when the last game was played at The Corner.
For nearly a decade Tiger Stadium sat abandoned as several attempts were made by preservation groups to save and renovate a portion of the facility for a variety of uses. The City of Detroit was uninterested in saving any part of the stadium and in July 2007 announced plans to demolish Tiger Stadium. Seats and other items were removed from the stadium in October 2007. Partial demolition of the stadium was completed by September 2008. Another attempt to save the remainder of Tiger Stadium was unsuccessful and the final sections of the stadium were demolished in September 2009. For nearly a decade the site sat empty. The only reminiscence remaining from Tiger Stadium was the playing field and the original flag pole in center field. In 2016 the Detroit Police Athletic League acquired the property and built The Corner Ballpark on the site of Tiger Stadium. The youth sports complex includes an 8,500-square-foot building, a baseball field on the same footprint of Tiger Stadiums field and the original flag pole from the ballpark.
Tiger Stadium was the home ballpark to the Detroit Tigers baseball team. Located at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Trumbull Street in Detroit’s Corktown neighborhood, the site was host to over a century of baseball as well as other events including concerts and many years of Detroit Lions football.
Tiger Stadium was sold to the city of Detroit on January 1, 1978 for $1.00 and leased back for 30 years. The city received a $5 million federal grant and issued $8.5 million in bonds to pay for renovations, including replacement of the old green wooden seats with blue plastic seats.
Tiger Stadium The History of Tiger Stadium (Briggs Stadium / Navin Field) The corner of Michigan and Trumbull in Detroit, Michigan was a popular destination for eighty-eight years. So popular that comparisons in the entertainment industry have been made to Hollywood and Vine.MLB TeamName ChangesMLB GamesDate / Box ScoresClick Logo To Visit Tigers Main PageNavin FieldFirst Game:04-20-1912Click Logo To Visit Tigers Main PageNavin FieldLast Game:Click Logo To Visit Tigers Main PageBriggs StadiumFirst Game:Click Logo To Visit Tigers Main PageBriggs StadiumLast Game:
People also ask
Where is the Detroit Tigers home field?
Where is the Detroit Tigers stadium located?
How old is Tiger Stadium?
How many seats does LSU stadium have?
Tiger Stadium In its last 32 seasons, Tiger Stadium was home to a pair of additional World Series champions in 1968 and 1984. The 1968 club was the first in Tigers history to achieve the two million mark in attendance, and the 1984 club used a 35-5 start out of the gate to attract a club-record 2,704,794 fans.
tiger stadium, detroit stamp - tiger stadium detroit stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images General view of Tiger Stadium during the 1996 season in Detroit, Michigan. General view of Tiger Stadium from the street outside on Opening Day on April 12, 1999 in Detroit, Michigan.
Tiger Stadium, outfitted for a Detroit Lions game Photo from the Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University Tiger Stadium, in its Navin Field days, about 1940