The Right Hon. David Johnston. Website. www .bishopscollegeschool .com. Bishop's College School or BCS ( French: Collège Bishop's) is a non-profit independent boarding prep school in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada for students in Grades 7 to 12. Founded in 1836, BCS is the fifth oldest private school in entire Canada.
- 1836; 185 years ago, King's Hall: 1874
- BCS, Bishop's College, Collège Bishop's
- Recti Cultus Pectora Roborant, (Correct learning strengthens character)
- Anglican Church of Canada (inactive)
Established in 1836 in Quebec, Bishop’s College School (BCS) offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and course certificates along with Canadian curricula. Bordered by farmland and rolling hills on one side and the city of Sherbrooke on the other, BCS is a small, welcoming community with students from over 40 different countries.
People also ask
Where is Bishop's College School in Quebec Canada?
Who are the Old Boys at Bishop's College?
Which is the fifth oldest private school in Canada?
When was Bishop's College School in Lennoxville created?
Frederick Edmund Meredith KC (1862–1941), lawyer, Chancellor of Bishop's University and president of the Montreal Victorias, Bâtonnier of the Bar of MontrealGeneral Andrew McNaughton CH CB CMG DSO CD PC(1887–1966), as the electrical engineer who designed the Cathode Ray Direction Finder and the President of the National Research Board.Charles Sandwith Campbell KC(1858–1923) A benefactor who gave the City of Montreal the Campbell Concerts and Campbell Parks. He was a Governor of McGill University.George Hurst (1926–2012), Chief Conductor of the BBC Philharmonic; visiting professor at the Royal Academy of Musicin LondonReginald Aubrey Fessenden (1866–1932) Inventor of radio (AM broadcasting) and sonar "Fessenden oscillator", professor at the Purdue University and the founder/chair of the Electrical Engineering de...General Andrew McNaughton CH CB CMG DSO CD PC(1887–1966), as the electrical engineer who designed the Cathode Ray Direction Finder and the President of the National Research Board.Frederick Edmund Meredith KC (1862–1941), lawyer, Chancellor of Bishop's University and president of the Montreal Victorias, Bâtonnier of the Bar of MontrealSelwyn G. Blaylock (1879–1945), President of the Canadian Institute of Mining; established the Selwyn G. Blaylock Medal.Harry Woodburn Blaylock CBE (1978–1928) Chief commissioner of the society of the Canadian Red Cross Society.Hazen Sise (1906–1974) was a Canadian architect, educator, and humanitarian who worked alongside Norman Bethune as the chief fundraiser for the committee to Aid Spanish Democracy in Madrid, Spain....Sir James Lauder Brunton 4th Bt., of Stratford Place (1947-) was born at Montreal and educated at Bishop's College School, Lennoxville, Quebec, and McGill University, Montreal. He is Professor of M...Jake Eberts OC (1941–2012), award-winning film producer of Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Dances with Wolves & Chicken Run. He had been associated with films garnering 66 Oscar nominations, including ni...Richard Smeaton White PC CC OOnt (1865–1936) was a Canadian newspaper publisher and political figure. He sat for Inkerman division in the Senate of Canada as a Conservativefrom 1917 to 1936.Ralph Barker Gustafson, CM (1909–1995) was a Canadian poet and professor at Bishop's University.John Calder (1927–2018) is a Scottish-Canadian writer who founded the company Calder Publishingin 1949.General Andrew McNaughton CH CB CMG DSO CD PC (1887–1966), First commander of the First Canadian Army in the Second World War; Minister of National Defense and Canadian Ambassador to the United Nat...George Harold Baker (November 4, 1877 – June 2, 1916) was a lawyer, political figure, and soldier from Quebec, Canada. He represented Brome in the House of Commons of Canada from 1911 to 1916 as a...Lieutenant General Kenneth Stuart CB DSO MC (September 9, 1891 – November 3, 1945) was a Canadian soldier and Chief of the General Staff, the head of the Canadian Armyfrom 24 December 1941 until 27...Major General William Henry Pferinger Elkins CB CBE DSO (13 June 1883 – 1964) was a Canadian soldier. He was a Commandant of the RMC.George Carlyle Marler, PC (14 September 1901 – 10 April 1981) was a politician, notary and philatelist in Quebec, Canada. Marler served as city councillor from 1940 to 1947 and as Deputy Chairman o...James Kirkpatrick Stewart is a Canadian lawyer with over thirty years of experience as Crown counsel handling criminal trials and appeals for the prosecution, including more than eight years workin...Frederick Edmund Meredith KC (1862–1941), lawyer, Chancellor of Bishop's University and president of the Montreal Victorias, Bâtonnier of the Bar of MontrealRoy Heenan, OC (28 September 1935 – 3 February 2017) was a Canadian labour lawyer and academic. He was the founding partner of the Canadian law firm Heenan Blaikie.Sir James David Edgar KCMG PC QC (August 10, 1841 – July 31, 1899) 7th Speaker of the House of Commons of Canada, and was given a knighthood by Queen Victoria. (Lennoxville Classical School Era)Richard Smeaton White PC CC OOnt (1865–1936) was a Canadian newspaper publisher and political figure. He sat for Inkerman division in the Senate of Canada as a Conservativefrom 1917 to 1936.General Andrew McNaughton CH CB CMG DSO CD PC (1887–1966), Canadian Minister of National Defense in the Second World War; Ambassador to the United NationsElliott Torrance Galt (1850–1928) Only child of the Fathers of Confederation Sir Alexander Tilloch Galt (1817–1893) by his wife Elliott. A major figure in the financing and establishment of Lethbri...Anthony Graham (1957– ) Director of George Weston Limited (1996–2016), Loblaw Companies (1998–2015), Chairman of President's Choice Bank (2000–2015), President of Selfridges Group (2003–2017) and C...Lieutenant-Colonel Sir H. Montagu Allan CVO (1860–1951), of the Allan Shipping Line; donated the Allan Cup to Ice Hockey He was president of several major Canadian financial institutions and of the...The Hon. Matthew Henry Cochrane (11 November 1823 – 12 August 1903) was a Canadian industrialist, livestock breeder, and politician. Cochrane, Albertais named in his honour.Hartland MacDougall (1875–1947), stockbroker and member of Canada's Sports Hall of FameClarendon Worrell (20 July 1854 – 10 August 1934) was the 5th Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada.Edward John Bidwell (26 November 1866 – 11 August 1941) was an English Anglican clergyman, who served as Bishop of Ontariofrom 1917 to 1926.James Williams (bishop) (1825–1892) graduated from Pembroke College, Oxford. He participated vigorously in the development of the Protestant public school system in Québec and collaborated with Sir...The Rt Rev Lennox Waldron Williams, DD (12 November 1859 – 8 July 1958)educated at St John's College, Oxford, was an eminent Anglican priest, the sixth Anglican Bishop of Quebec.(alumni and former...
- Educators and Thinkers
- Sciences and Engineering
- Medicine and Humanitarians
- Arts and Media
- Military Service
- Political Figures
BCS Hockey Program was established in 1914 and the BCS Memorial Arena is the oldest indoor rink in Canada donated by the alumni. 1. Ernest McLea (1876–1931) was a Canadian ice hockey player. McLea played in the 1890s for the Montreal Victorias and was a member of four Stanley Cup-winning teams. He scored the first hat trick in Stanley Cup play, and scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal in a challenge game in 1896.Hartland MacDougall 2. Hartland MacDougall (1875–1947), stockbroker and member of Canada's Sports Hall of Fame. 3. Christopher Temple Emmet(1868–1957) was an American attorney and sportsman. 4. Edward Bronfman, OC (1 November 1927 – 4 April 2005) was a Canadian businessman, philanthropist, and member of the Bronfman family. From 1971 to 1978, he and his brother owned the Montreal Canadiens. The team won four Stanley Cups under their ownership, in 1973, 1976, 1977, and 1978. 5. Senator Hartland de Montarville Molson OC, OBE, OQ (1907–2002), of the Molson Brewery and former own...
- Education Records
- Protestant Education Changes
- Nineteenth Century
- Private Schools
- English Catholic Education
- Catholic Universities and Convent-Schools
At the decennial census of 1931, the Province of Québec had a population of 2,874,255 souls, of whom 2,463,160 belonged to the Roman Catholic faith. In the same year, 2,270,059 of the people of the Province declared themselves French in racial origin. Those professing in 1931 a faith other than Roman Catholic numbered 411,095. The School system is a state system operating under a single code - the Education Act of the Province - and under a single department of education, but it is dual in the sense that schools are con-[fessional -here a line has dropped out] Protestants have separate schools. The foundation of the present structure of education in the Province was laid by an act of 1846, and the changes which have since taken place have followed upon amendments of that act. In this opening paragraph of Chapter II of Protestant Education in Québec: Report of the Québec Protestant Education Survey (1938)the typographical error is ironic, perhaps even Freudian.
Actually, much of what follows relates to the era before 1970. Many things have changed since then, CEGEPs were instituted in 1967. A CEGEP is a College d’enseignement général et professionelwhich sort of translates into “Community College”. These developed naturally out of the Catholic Classical Colleges, and offered courses of study covering senior High School through first year University. The CGEP concept meshed well with the Catholic system but required some adjustment on the part of English/Protestant High Schools. The Québec Government continues to adjust the education system, so expect changes.
The “English” established their own school system quite early, usually on the basis of a Township School Board operating several small elementary schools. Advanced education would be offered at “Model” schools in the main town with an Academy serving a larger region. By the time of the 1938 Education Survey, township and county boards were amalgamated into District Boards, and those of the Montréal area were grouped under The Protestant Board of Education of Greater Montréal. Cut-backs and consolidation mean that many rural School Boards no longer exist. The Stanstead Historical Society published in 2001 Schooling in the Clearings; Stanstead 1800-1850, by Kathleen H. Brown. While it focuses on the development of schools and independent academies in Stanstead Co., listing both teachers and pupils, it is relevant for all the English-speaking Townships and explains the changes over each decade in government funding and control, the training of teachers, as well as the differences betwe...
There also existed - some still exist - private schools, many with long and interesting histories which are outlined in Carolyn Gossage’s study of Canada’s Independent Schools . The earliest schools served the Loyalists: Stanstead College, Stanstead, Québec, was founded in 1817 as one of the “Royal Schools” supported by the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning, the same that helped establish McGill University. Bishop’s College School, Lennoxville, Québec, grew out of an Anglican educational institution founded in 1836 which developed into Bishop’s University. Bishop’s College School was established adjacent to the College, as a preparatory institution. Later in the century, the Church of England also established two schools “where girls, and daughters of the clergy in particular, might receive a sound education at a minimum charge” These were: Compton Ladies’ College, which opened in 1874, reincorporated in 1902 as King’s Hall, and closed in 1973 after a failed attempt...
McGill University owes its origins to James McGill who died in 1813, leaving the property on which the university now stands, and some endowment for the founding of a college to bear his name. A charter was granted in 1821, some teaching actually began about 1829, construction of the Arts Building began in 1843 and the Faculty of Arts and Science dates its founding from 1843. Women were first admitted in 1884, but when Royal Victoria College opened in 1899 it became the women’s College. Women were admitted on identical terms with men, “but mainly in separate classes”. Nicknamed “Donaldas” (after Sir Donald A. Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona), the first group graduated in 1903. Of 329 students graduating with a B.A. in that year, 152 were women. McGill University has published several directories of graduates, though only for those alive at the date of compilation. Once you have established the faculty and years someone attended the University, try to locate a copy of Old McGill for thei...
Both private and, eventually, public education was organized and operated by the church. Nuns of various orders taught girls, and young boys in elementary school, while priests or brothers, again belonging to various teaching orders, taught older boys, the brightest or wealthiest of whom then went on to the Classical Colleges, Séminaires and Universities. In rural areas few boys went on to such higher learning unless their family were professionals, or they were intended for the priesthood. The church appears to have recognized that women with some education make better mothers; mothers who could teach their children their Catechism and native language (French), so convent-schools were not uncommon, and often of a high standard. In Urban centres as well as the Eastern Townships, where educated nuns taught the daughters of the local professionals, they also received American pupils: daughters of Franco-Americans who were sent from New York or New England to absorb French culture and...
Loyola College was affiliated with Laval University in Québec City, then the University of Montréal, and Marianopolis College was the female equivalent. As one friend told me, “The Snow Queen of Loyola was always from Marianapolis”. Among the well-known convent schools were the Convent of the Sacred Heart on Atwater Avenue, College Marie de France, Villa Maria in Outremont, and Notre Dame Mother House at the corner of Atwater Avenue and Sherbrooke Street which in the mid-20th century offered a top quality business course for aspiring secretaries. Most such schools were bilingual, with both French and English speaking pupils and teachers. Many Protestant families sent their daughters to be “polished” by the Sisters; it cost a lot less than a year in Switzerland. Church-run universities carried education further: Laval in Québec City was granted a Royal Charter in 1852, and a branch in Montréal gave rise to the Université de Montréal in 1920. By the end of the Second World War, there...
Sep 15, 2011 · Bishop’s College School, Lennoxville, Quebec Founded in 1836 Number of students: 260 boarding and day Grades 9-12 Coeducational Religious Affiliation: Nonsectarian Setting: Rural Overview: BCS or The Lennoxville Classical School as The Reverend Lucius Doolittle preferred it to be called was a boys school until the 1970s.
James William Williams, headmaster of Bishop’s College School from 1857-1863 succeeded Bishop Mountain as the fourth Lord Bishop of Quebec. The Rev’d Arthur Huffman McGreer, principal from 1922-1947 was an active member of the Anglican community and the Diocese of Quebec.
Established in 1836, BCS is a small, welcoming boarding and day school for grades 7 to 12. ... Bishop's College School is an independent English-language boarding and ...
Jun 06, 2016 · Making moves. 6/6/2016. BCS Athletics News. After an extremely successful 2015-16 campaign, Bishop’s College School’s hockey program continues to impress and advance in the off-season. After completing the vetting process, the program is proud to announce that the U18/Varsity team has joined the Midwest Prep Hockey League (MPHL).
Examples of independent schools in British Columbia are Brentwood College School, Little Flower Academy, Shawnigan Lake School, St. Margaret's School, and St. Michael's University School. In Quebec: Bishop's College School and Lower Canada College.