The division was activated on 15 July 1942, at Fort Benning, Georgia, around a nucleus of the reorganized and redesignated 3rd and 11th Cavalry Regiments.. Nickname. The "Tiger" nickname of the 10th originates from a division-wide contest held while it was training in the United States, symbolizing the division "clawing and mauling" its way through the enemy.
10th Armored Division (Inactive) The 9th Armored Division (the "Phantom Division") was an armored division of the United States Army during World War II . In honor of their World War II service, the 9th was officially nicknamed the "Phantom Division."