British Hong Kong was a colony and dependent territory of the British Empire from 1841 to 1997, apart from a brief period under Japanese occupation from 1941 to 1945.The colonial period began with the occupation of Hong Kong Island in 1841 during the First Opium War.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Hong_Kong
British Hong Kong was a colony and dependent territory of the British Empire from 1841 to 1997, apart from a brief period under Japanese occupation from 1941 to 1945.The colonial period began with the occupation of Hong Kong Island in 1841 during the First Opium War.
Feb 09, 2010 · On July 1, 1997, Hong Kong was peaceably handed over to China in a ceremony attended by numerous Chinese and British dignitaries. The chief executive under the new Hong Kong government, Tung Chee ...
Sep 16, 2019 · British rule in Hong Kong was not a utopia to be glorified and looked back upon. The city was rich, but harsh, in an ironic twist being far more heavy-handed and brutal than its current existence, thus overwhelmingly distant from what young people today, having never lived through it, envision it to be.
Oct 23, 2019 · The recent history of Hong Kong doesn’t begin where most Westerners might imagine. It began with the Rothschild’s British East India Company that existed from the early 1700s to nearly 1900, when Rothschild conceived the idea of inflicting opium onto China. The plans had been well-made, with approval from the top.
Sep 28, 2017 · Just like the British, Hong Kong still drives on the left side of the road. This is unlike mainland China, where they drive on the right. The reason being, Britain was the dominant global power when vehicle traffic started to take off in the early 1900s, and laws stated that, for British colonies, all vehicles must drive on the left.
- Matthew Keegan
- Entry to Hong Kong. Non-Hong Kong residents arriving in Hong Kong from the UK and a number of other countries will be denied entry. Spouses and minor children of Hong Kong residents are exempt from this restriction.
- Transiting Hong Kong. Transit services at Hong Kong International Airport resumed on 15 June 2020 for passengers who can be checked through from port of origin to final destination.
- Travel between Hong Kong, Macao and mainland China. All border crossings with mainland China remain closed indefinitely, with the exception of the Shenzhen Bay Checkpoint and the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge.
- Health declaration form. All inbound travellers via Hong Kong International Airport need to submit a health declaration form.
Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the Qing Empire ceded Hong Kong Island at the end of the First Opium War in 1842. The colony expanded to the Kowloon Peninsula in 1860 after the Second Opium War and was further extended when Britain obtained a 99-year lease of the New Territories in 1898.
Most of the answers given on here are about the life quality and social struggle, not about the British rules that were played in British Hong Kong, here is a list of things that I am aware of, and they are no longer valid in Hong Kong SAR, for go...
Hong Kong, special administrative region of China, located to the east of the Pearl River estuary on the south coast of China. Hong Kong was a British possession for decades until it rejoined China in 1997. It is a vibrant cultural and financial center of Chinese society.
Jun 09, 2011 · Hong Kong includes 426 square miles of territory in the South China Sea, and it is today one of the most densely occupied and economically independent parts of the world. That lease came about as a result of wars over trade imbalances, opium, and the shifting power of Queen Victoria 's British empire.
- related to: British Hong Kong