People also ask
How far is Cambridge from Ely?
When did the Isle of Ely become a county?
What constituency is Isle of Ely?
What to see in Ely England?
Things to Do in Ely, England: See Tripadvisor's 25,696 traveler reviews and photos of Ely tourist attractions. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in April. We have reviews of the best places to see in Ely. Visit top-rated & must-see attractions.
The ancient city of Ely occupies the largest island in the Cambridgeshire Fens. The “Isle of Ely” is so called because it was only accessible by boat until the waterlogged Fens were drained in the 17th century.
The Isle of Ely (/ ˈiːli /) is a historic region around the city of Ely in Cambridgeshire, England. Between 1889 and 1965, it formed an administrative county.
- Isle of Ely County Council
- Administrative county, (within Cambridgeshire)
- Ely Cathedral. An intoxicating blend of Romanesque and Decorated Gothic Architecture, Ely’s inspiring cathedral was begun in 1080 and completed towards the end of the 14th century.
- Oliver Cromwell’s House. One of the defining figures of English history, Oliver Cromwell, lived in Ely from 1638 to 1646. He came here after inheriting a 16th-century house, also known as St Mary’s Vicarage.
- Stained Glass Museum. The UK’s only museum for stained glass can be found in the cathedral’s South Triforium Gallery. This captivating exhibition maps the history of stained glass over 800 years, shedding light on the skills involved in its production.
- Ely Museum. The building housing Ely Museum is part historic and part modern. The older wing is a two-storey stone and brick construction that stood as the Bishop of Ely’s gaol in the 17th century.
Visit www.oldstratforduponavon.com/ely to see some olf postcards of Ely.
Ely CB6 1DN £18,005 - £19,337 a year As a Health Care Assistant/Theatre Support Worker, at Ely Day Surgery Unit, you will be expected to assist the patient through the operative process, from…
booking.com has been visited by 1M+ users in the past month
tripadvisor.com has been visited by 100K+ users in the past month