The future George VI was born at York Cottage, on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, during the reign of his great-grandmother Queen Victoria. His father was Prince George, Duke of York (later King George V), the second and eldest surviving son of the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra).
- 1 min
- Family and Early Life. King George VI was born Albert Frederick Arthur George Saxe-Coburg-Gotha on December 14, 1895, in Norfolk, England. Though formally known as "His Highness Prince Albert of York," within the family the future king was called "Bertie," and, as a young man, "Albert."
- Military Service and Education. In 1909, Prince Albert graduated from the Royal Naval Academy at Osborne, finishing at the bottom of his class in the final exam.
- George VI’s Wife and Kids. Around 1920 Prince Albert became reacquainted with Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, whom he had met as a child through their families' close relationship.
- Why Did King George Get the Throne? King George VI’s father, King George V, had reservations about his first son, Prince Edward (Duke of Windsor), taking the throne.
On the 13th of September in 1940, King George VI and his wife, Queen Elizabeth, were in Buckingham Palace when the building was struck by a Luftwaffe bomb. Notwithstanding a worker's death and few injured servants, the royal couple fortunately escaped unharmed. Although traditionally a feminine activity, King George VI was a proficient ...
- Albert Frederick Arthur George Wettin
George VI became King unexpectedly following the abdication of his brother, King Edward VIII, in December 1936. A conscientious and dedicated man, he worked hard to adapt to the role into which he was suddenly thrown. Reserved by nature, and of deep religious belief, he was helped in his work by his wife. He had married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923.
George VI, British king from 1936 to 1952 who was a symbol of courage and strength for his people during World War II, partly by battling his stammer. He assumed the throne on December 11, 1936, after his brother Edward VIII abdicated in order to marry Wallis Warfield Simpson of the United States.
May 06, 2021 · George VI ( Albert Frederick Arthur George) was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth. Known publicly as Albert until his accession, and "Bertie" among his family and close friends, George VI was born ...
- December 14, 1895
- February 6, 1952