Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond and Somerset, (15 June 1519 – 23 July 1536), was the son of King Henry VIII of England and his mistress, Elizabeth Blount, and the only child born out of wedlock whom Henry VIII acknowledged. He was the younger half-brother of Queen Mary I, as well as the older half-brother of Queen Elizabeth I and King Edward ...
- Henry Fitzroy was born in a Priory. The exact date of birth of Henry Fitzroy is unknown, but it was in June 1519. Bessie Blount was well-known at court for being Henry VIII’s mistress; when she fell pregnant, it would’ve been evident to all that the King was the father.
- Cardinal Wolsey was his godfather. Far from the church frowning on the King’s extramarital relations, not only did Wolsey provide security for the child’s birth, but he also acted as his godfather.
- Fitzroy literally means son of the King. Henry VIII openly acknowledged the young Henry as his son. Not only was he named after his father he was even given the surname Fitzroy.
- Fitzroy was made Duke of Richmond and Somerset. Henry VIII was keen to shower titles on his son to give him the standing he believed he deserved. He didn’t want him being known as “a royal bastard.”
The first creation of a dukedom of Richmond (as Duke of Richmond and Somerset) was made in 1525 for Henry FitzRoy, an illegitimate son of King Henry VIII. His mother was Elizabeth Blount. Upon the Duke's death without children in 1536, his titles became extinct.
- Charles Gordon-Lennox, Earl of March and Kinrara
- Charles Gordon-Lennox, 11th Duke of Richmond
- Charles Lennox
- Earl of March, Earl of Darnley, Earl of Kinrara, Baron Settrington, Lord Torbolton, Duke of Aubigny
Jun 15, 2015 · Henry Fitzroy was the illegitimate child of Henry VIII, the second Tudor monarch, with his mistress Elizabeth Blount. In 1512, when Henry VIII was approximately twenty-one years of age a beautiful young woman came to court. Her name was Elizabeth “Bessie” Blount and at that time she had no idea the future that lay ahead of her.
Jan 22, 2019 · Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Richmond and Somerset, Earl of Nottingham, born June 15, 1519, at the Priory of St Lawrence at Blackmore, Essex, England, died July 23, 1536, at St. James's Palace, London, England
- June 15, 1519
- July 22, 1536 (17)
Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond The match was a triumph for the Boleyn family as the Duchess was a former member of Queen Anne's household, and a staunch advocate of reform. It was also a very advantageous match for the Duchess as with no legitimate male heir to the throne, the Duke was seen at the time as a likely future king.
When Sir Henry FitzRoy -Duke of Richmond and Somerset was born on 15 June 1519, in Blackmore, Essex, England, his father, King Henry Tudor V111, was 27 and his mother, Elizabeth Blount, was 21. He married Lady Mary Howard in 1533, in England.