Jadwiga was the daughter of Louis I, king of both Hungary and Poland, and Elizabeth of Bosnia. After Louis died on September 11, 1382, his elder daughter, Maria, was elected queen of Hungary, but the Poles opted to end the personal union between the two countries by choosing Jadwiga as their queen, though she was then but a child of nine years.
Polish Monarch, Roman Catholic Saint. She was slso known as Hedwig of Anjou. She was the youngest daughter of Louis I of Anjou, King of Poland and Hungary and his second wife Elisabeth of Bosnia. Louis had named his daughter Maria as his sole heir but the polish nobles choose Jadwiga as their monarch. She came to...
The most influential woman in Polish history, bar none, Queen Jadwiga of Poland reigned as the country’s first female monarch (formally holding the title of 'King') between 1384 and 1399. She took the throne at only ten years of age following the death of her father, Louis the Great - King of Hung
Oct 23, 2017 · Jadwiga of Poland was a very remarkable woman, and one who is sadly neglected by those in Western Europe. Living in the fourteenth century, she was the first female monarch of Poland – beating England by nearly 200 years – and despite leading a short life, she left a legacy that continues to today.
Please consider supporting me at https://www.patreon.com/LindsayHoliday and help me make more fascinating videos! Jadwiga, Female King of Poland was crowned ...
- 17 min
- Lindsay Holiday
- Long May She Reign. Jadwiga’s reign as Queen of Poland lasted just under 15 years, from October 16, 1384 until her death at the tender age of 25.
- Welcome to the World. Jadwiga was born in the city of Buda (now part of Budapest), which used to be the capital of the Kingdom of Hungary. She was the third and youngest child of Elizabeth of Bosnia and Louis I, King of Hungary and Poland.
- High Prize Within the Patriarchy. Louis I, Jadwiga’s father, was a fierce warrior, but there was one battle he couldn’t win. Louis just couldn’t seem to produce a male heir.
- Tragedy in Childhood. Most people don’t realize that Jadwiga was never supposed to be Queen. Instead her older sister Catherine of Hungary should have inherited the throne.
Jadwiga (1373 – 17 July 1399), anglicized as Hedwig, was "King" of Poland from 1384 until her death. She leads the Poles in Civilization VI. Jadwiga’s Poland is a flexible power that has strengths in both the military and religious arenas. Don’t settle too close to her cities for she can steal frontier tiles from you through her Fort or Encampment Culture Bomb.
Pious Jadwiga, praise be to the glory of God, the earth, and Poland! Most holy King, you will show your people the truth and the light, and they will move beyond to spread the word to others. Protected by great winged warriors, you will rise to meet any challenge you face with a devout grace unmatched by any other.
Jadwiga's unique agenda is called Saint. She focuses on building up Faith and likes civilizations that do the same.
- Hedvig Rex Poloniae – and a Saint
Mar 27, 2020 · St. Jadwiga, sometimes referred to as St. Hedwig is a very significant figure in the history of Christianity in Poland. She was born in Bavaria, in southern Germany and entered into an arranged marriage with Henry I the Bearded, one of the first Piast rulers of Silesia .
- Ed Whelan