Josiah ( / dʒoʊˈsaɪ.ə / or / dʒəˈzaɪ.ə /)   or Yoshiyahu [a] was the 16th king of Judah ( c. 640 –609 BCE) who, according to the Hebrew Bible, instituted major religious reforms by removing official worship of gods other than Yahweh. Josiah is credited by most biblical scholars with having established or compiled important ...
Mar 6, 2023 · Josiah, also spelled Josias, (born c. 648 bce—died 609), king of Judah (c. 640–609 bce), who set in motion a reformation that bears his name and that left an indelible mark on Israel’s religious traditions (2 Kings 22–23:30). Josiah was the grandson of Manasseh, king of Judah, and ascended the throne at age eight after the assassination of his father, Amon, in 641. For a century, ever ...
- The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica
Jun 15, 2022 · Josiah was the king of Judah from approximately 640 to 609 B.C. His reign in Jerusalem is discussed in 2 Kings 22–23 and 2 Chronicles 34–35. Josiah was the son of King Amon and the grandson of King Manasseh —both of them wicked kings of Judah. Yet Josiah was a godly king and known as one of the world’s youngest kings; he began his reign ...
Easton's Bible Dictionary - Josiah. Josiah [N] [H] [S] healed by Jehovah, or Jehovah will support. The son of Amon, and his successor on the throne of Judah ( 2 Kings 22:1 ; 2 Chr. 34:1 ). His history is contained in 2 Kings 2223 ,23. He stands foremost among all the kings of the line of David for unswerving loyalty to Jehovah ( 23:25 ).
- 2 Kings 22:2. 2 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and followed completely the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left.
- 2 Kings 22:20. 20 Therefore I will gather you to your ancestors, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place.’ ”
- 2 Kings 23:3. 3 The king stood by the pillar and renewed the covenant in the presence of the LORD—to follow the LORD and keep his commands, statutes and decrees with all his heart and all his soul, thus confirming the words of the covenant written in this book.
- 2 Kings 23:25. 25 Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the LORD as he did—with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his strength, in accordance with all the Law of Moses.
Josiah: The Boy Who Became King. by Shelby Faith. After many years of evil kings, Josiah became king of Judah when he was 8 years old. Josiah loved and obeyed God, and God blessed him. PDF to print for family reading. Josiah was only 8 years old when he became king. His father, Amon, was an evil king who worshipped idols.