NASA shared an amazing 3D video of its Mars helicopter Ingenuity's third successful flight on the Red Planet. During the little chopper's third test flight, on April 25, Ingenuity lifted off the Martian surface to a height of 16 feet (5 meters) and flew downrange 164 feet (50 m),
Space.com on MSN.com
11 hours ago
The Mars Helicopter, Ingenuity, is a technology demonstration to test powered, controlled flight on another world for the first time. It hitched a ride to Mars on the Perseverance rover.
- Its body is small, but its blades are mighty. One of the biggest engineering challenges is getting the Mars Helicopter’s blades just right. They need to push enough air downward to receive an upward force that allows for thrust and controlled flight — a big concern on a planet where the atmosphere is only one percent as dense as Earth’s.
- It has to fly in really thin Martian air. To compensate for Mars’ thin atmosphere, the blades must spin much faster than on an Earth helicopter, and the blade size relative to the weight of the helicopter has to be larger too.
- It will make up to five flights on Mars. Over a 30-day period on Mars, the helicopter will attempt up to five flights, each time going farther than the last.
- The Mars Helicopter team has already completed groundbreaking tests. Because a helicopter has never visited Mars before, the Mars Helicopter team has worked hard to figure out how to predict the helicopter’s performance on the Red Planet.
The first helicopter attempting to fly on another planet is a marvel of engineering. Get up to speed with these key facts about its plans. When NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance rover launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida later this summer, an innovative experiment will ride along: the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter.
- Tony Greicius
May 07, 2021 · After four historic flights, the Ingenuity Mars helicopter successfully flew to a new destination. The 4-pound chopper conducted a one-way flight to its new airfield on Friday. As with previous...
Apr 29, 2021 · NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter (above center to the right) is viewed by one of the hazard cameras aboard the Perseverance rover during the helicopter’s fourth flight on April 30, 2021.
People also ask
Is there a helicopter on the surface of Mars?
Can you hear a helicopter Hum on Mars?
Is it possible to fly a rotorcraft on Mars?
How tall is ingenuity the rover on Mars?
May 08, 2021 · NASA Mars Helicopter Makes One-Way Flight to New Mission Ingenuity has flown almost flawlessly through the red planet’s thin air and will now assist the science mission of the Perseverance rover. A...
Apr 30, 2021 · (CNN) After four successful flights on Mars, the Ingenuity helicopter is graduating to a new phase of its mission and will fly for at least another month on the red planet. The little 4-pound...
- related to: Mars Helicopter
target.com has been visited by 1M+ users in the past month