- related to: Princess Alice of Battenberg
Princess Alice of Battenberg (Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Marie; 25 February 1885 – 5 December 1969) was the mother of Prince Philip and mother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II . A great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, she was born in Windsor Castle and grew up in Great Britain, Germany and Malta. A Hessian princess by birth, she was a member of the Battenberg family, a morganatic branch of the House of Hesse-Darmstadt.
- She Had A Really Long Name. Princess Alice was born on February 25, 1885, in the Tapestry Room at Windsor Castle in full view of her great-grandmother, Queen Victoria.
- Her Mother Was Intimidating. Alice’s family was sharp—in more ways than one. Her mother, Princess Victoria of Hesse, inherited Queen Victoria’s whip-smart mind; she was an avid reader and, according to Alice’s brother, “a walking encyclopedia.”
- She Was A Slow Learner. Alice’s cunning family members began to notice that something was “different” when it came to Princess Alice’s own intelligence.
- She Had An Invisible Disability. After weeks of stress, it was Alice’s maternal grandmother, the Princess of Battenberg, who finally figured out what was happening.
Who was Princess Alice of Battenberg? Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark, also known as Princess Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Marie of Battenberg, was the mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and mother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II. She was born in England as the great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the eldest child/daughter of Prince Louis of Battenberg.
Nov 18, 2019 · Princess Alice (1885-1969) was the wife of Prince Andrew of Greece (1882-1944) and mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. She married into the Greek royal family by saying “I do” to Prince...
Throughout her long, strange life, Alice was often branded as an oddball—but one with a good heart. Here, what you should know about Queen Elizabeth's mother-in-law—and prominent figure in The ...
Town & Country via Yahoo
2 years ago
Born at Windsor Castle as Princess Victoria Alice Elisabeth Julie Marie of Battenberg, later Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark, she was the mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and mother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom. Congenitally deaf, she grew up in Germany, England and the Mediterranean.
- 25 Feb 1885, Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead Royal Borough, Berkshire, England
- Crypt below the church
- 5 Dec 1969 (aged 84), City of Westminster, Greater London, England
- Saint Mary Magdalene Church, Jerusalem, Yerushalayim (Jerusalem District), Israel
- Prince Philip's mother was born at Windsor Castle. Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II had some strong familial connections from the start. The prince's mother, Alice of Battenberg, was born in Windsor Castle as Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Mary on February 25, 1885, according to The New York Times.
- She married Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark. In 1903, Alice married Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, and subsequently became known as Princess Andrew.
- Princess Alice was treated by Sigmund Freud. According to the psychologist... from the British Psychological Society, Prince Philip's mother received psychological assistance from Sigmund Freud after her husband was almost executed following the Greco-Turkish War.
- She protected Jews during World War II. Princess Alice was instrumental in aiding the escape from Greece of several Jews during World War II, when Nazi occupation put their lives in grave danger.
- 2 min
- Delia Paunescu
- Born into royalty. Princess Alice was born at Windsor Castle in 1885, the daughter of Prince Louis of Battenberg and...
- Royal refugees. The Greek royal family fled Greece in 1922 after the start of the second Greco-Turkish war. In episode 4...
- A woman of charity. According to The Psychologist, Alice...
Nov 18, 2019 · Princess Alice was born at Windsor Castle in the presence of her great-grandmother, Queen Victoria. She was the child of Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine and Prince Louis of Battenberg. The...
- Chloe Foussianes
- News Writer
Nov 18, 2019 · During episode 4, "Bubbikins," we meet Princess Alice of Battenberg—also known as Princess Andrew of Greece—played by Jane Lapotaire. As Prince Philip's mother and Queen Elizabeth II's mother-in-law, the latter invited the elderly princess to live in London to be closer to the family after she struggled in Greece.
- Mckenzie Jean-Philippe
Dec 20, 2019 · Alice was assigned the title Princess Alice of Battenberg at birth and then Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark upon her marriage, but in later life she chose to be referred to as Mother-Superior...