Shyamala Gopalan (known professionally as Gopalan Shyamala or G. Shyamala; December 7, 1938 – February 11, 2009) was an American biomedical scientist born in British India, whose work in isolating and characterizing the progesterone receptor gene stimulated advances in breast biology and oncology.
- News Writer
- Shyamala Gopalan Harris immigrated to the United States from India. Born in Madras (now Chennai), India, Gopalan was just 19 years old when she left India alone.
- She was a world-renowned scientist. After receiving her PhD, Gopalan stayed at UC Berkeley and became a breast cancer researcher. Her success in this field took her to universities around the world, where she continued conducting research and teaching.
- Gopalan was a civil rights activist and met her husband at a protest. In the 1960s, Gopalan met the man who would become her husband and the father of her children: Donald J. Harris.
- She mentored countless students. According to her obituary, Gopalan spent much of her time as a scientist teaching and helping students in her lab. Many of these students had backgrounds similar to her own.
3 hours ago · Dr Shyamala Gopalan Harris was passionate about cancer research and worried about her research animals, recalls Dr Mina Bissell, “She stayed in the lab with me when I was the Director. After I ...
- Alyssa Choiniere
- Shyamala ‘Prepared Kamala Harris for Politics, Kamala Said. Kamala Harris came from a long of strong women, India Abroad reported. Shyamala Harris gave her daughter a sense of “audacious idealism, purpose and ambition.
- She Moved to the U.S. From India & Earned Her Ph.D. at 25. Shyamala Gopalan earned her undergraduate degree at the University of Delhi at age 19 and moved to the United States to earn a Ph.
- She Worked In Cancer Research. Shyamala Gopalan earned multiple honors over decades of cancer research. Her obituary discussed her career, awards and research, which she coupled with social advocacy.
- She Joined The Civil Rights Movement At Berkeley. Shyamala Gopalan moved to the United States to attend the University of California at Berkeley, where she earned her doctorate.
- Shyamala Gopalan was the mother of a US senator. Among the two daughters Gopalan had together with Donald Harris, one is Kamala Harris who is a well-known United States Senator.
- She was given a presidential appointment. As a result of her dedication to breast cancer research, the noble National Institutes of Health reviewer was recognized with a presidential appointment to work as the President’s Special Commission on Breast Cancer.
- Gopalan won an award as a child. Raised with a sound background of cultural music and art, the mother of Kamala Harris was awarded a national gold medal for excellently performing classical Indian music.
- Maya Lakshmi Harris is Gopalan’s daughter. The former Dean of Lincoln Law School of San Jose, Maya Lakshmi Harris is the second daughter of Shyamala Gopalan.
Oct 25, 2020 · “And that’s my mother, Shyamala Gopalan Harris.” During the vice-presidential debate earlier this month, she noted all the barriers she was breaking as Joe Biden’s running mate and said that...
Sep 13, 2020 · Shyamala Gopalan had been born the same year as Mr. Harris, in another British colony on the other side of the planet. But her view of the colonial system was more sheltered, the view of a senior...
- Ellen Barry
Oct 25, 2019 · Shyamala was a gifted singer, specializing in the classical Carnatic music of southern India, a discipline she learned from her mother. She won a gold medal in a national competition and...