- An independent film, independent movie, indie film, or indie movie is a feature film or short film that is produced outside the major film studio system, in addition to being produced and distributed by independent entertainment companies. Independent films are sometimes distinguishable by their content and style and the way in which the filmmakers' personal artistic vision is realized.
People also ask
What makes an independent film "independent"?
What are independent film awards?
How to invest in independent films?
What is an independent film?
Mar 12, 2000 · Directed by Stephen Kessler. With Jerry Stiller, Janeane Garofalo, Max Perlich, Ted Demme. A notorious B-movie director tries for a comeback by seeking out the film rights to the life story of a serial killer who wants his biography film to be a musical.
- Stephen Kessler
- 1 min
The Independent is a 2000 mockumentary comedy film directed by Stephen Kessler and starring Jerry Stiller and Janeane Garofalo. Stiller portrays an independent film maker who makes little-known B movies with titles like Twelve Angry Men and a Baby. The film spoofs independent directors and independent film.
Feb 03, 2018 · "The Independents" is a musical comedy/drama about three struggling singer-songwriters whose chance-meeting rekindles each of their fading dreams of making it in the music business.
- Greg Naughton
Netflix has unveiled the trailer for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, the final film starring Chadwick Boseman. Boseman stars as ambitious trumpeter Levee in this adaptation of the play of the same name by Pulitzer winner August Wilson,
9 hours ago
- How a Pepe the Frog movie speaks powerfully to this moment in divisive American politicsWashington Post13 hours ago
- George Clooney nearly starred in The Notebook instead of Ryan Gosling, actor revealsThe Independent on MSN.com20 hours ago
- Jon Favreau is ‘open’ to the idea of a Mandalorian film: ‘There’s no rulebook now’The Independent on MSN.com4 days ago
Movie Info This mockumentary explores the career of independent filmmaker Morty Fineman (Jerry Stiller), responsible for over 400 movies. Fineman faces mounting debt, but puts his heart and...
- Jacob Sarkisian
- '20th Century Women' (2016) Set in 1970s California, Mike Mills' film is pretty nice to look at, and features a cast full of great actresses — including Annette Bening, Elle Fanning, and Greta Gerwig.
- 'A Serious Man' (2009) This Coen brothers film is one of their most under-appreciated. Speaking of under-appreciated — Michael Stuhlbarg is consistently excellent in every film he is in, and he's been in a host of terrific films, like "Call Me By Your Name" and "The Shape of Water."
- 'A Single Man' (2009) Colin Firth, being the Brit he is, does suppressed emotions and restraint very, very well. He earned an Oscar nomination for this, playing a man mourning the loss of his boyfriend in Tom Ford's directorial debut.
- 'Atlantics' (2019) This was the feature-film debut of director of Mati Diop, and is a pretty beautiful drama. It follows workers on the construction site of a futuristic tower rebelling and leaving their jobs after months without pay, and heading to the ocean for better lives.
The Independent Critic is proud to support Indy-based Heartland Film by committing to the 50/50 x 2020 Pledge - By the end of the year 2020, The Independent Critic will achieve gender parity in its reviews of both shorts and feature films.
100% of the profits of The Independent Film School are either donated to groups that combat the climate emergency, or invested in films that highlight the resilience, power, joy, caring, and intelligence of communities that are under-represented and/or misrepresented by the film industry.
The latest breaking news, comment and features from The Independent.