According to an annalist who describes the funeral of the grand duke Vladimir Vasilkovich in the city of Vladimir (Volhynia), "the Jews wept at his funeral as at the fall of Jerusalem, or when being led into the Babylonian captivity."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Belarus
Vasilkovich was renowned for his favorable treatment of the region's Jewish population, which had erewhile been severely maligned and ill-treated. According to an annalist who describes the funeral of the grand duke Vladimir Vasilkovich in the city of Vladimir (Volhynia), "the Jews wept at his funeral as at the fall of Jerusalem, or when being ...
Vladimir Vasilkovich was a son of Vasilko Romanovich, prince of Volhynia, now part of Ukraine.He succeeded his father when the latter died in 1269, and was famous for numerous constructions and reconstructions of town fortifications in Volhynia.
Vladimir Vasilkovich's prayer before the Holy Communion is based on the deathbed prayer of prince David Rostislavich, however different readings say about Vladimir Vasilkovich as a second Job.
According to an annalist who describes the funeral of the grand duke Vladimir Vasilkovich in the city of Vladimir (Volhynia), "the Jews wept at his funeral as at the fall of Jerusalem, or when being led into the Babylonian captivity."
- 12,926 (2009)-70,000 (2014)
- 78,859 Belarusian immigrants to Israel (in the years 1989-2013)
Vladimir VASILKOVICH of POLOTSK. Born: abt. 1085 Died: abt. 1144. Poss. HM George I's 15-Great Grandfather. Poss. HRE Ferdinand I's 12-Great Grandfather. ...
 Vladimir Vasilkovich (or Vladimir Vasilevich, or Uladzmir) was the ruler of ancient Volhynia (Valyn' or Valynsk), an area stretching from present-day Western Ukraine northward. Although records of Jewish residents of the region in this time are rare, it is recorded that the death of Vladimir Vasilkovich was widely mourned by the Jewish ...
The earliest information on Jews in Volhynia is in a report on the mourning of the Jews of the town of *Vladimir Volynski over the death of the prince of Volhynia, Vladimir Vasilkovich (d. 1288). However, there is reason to believe that there was already a Jewish settlement there in the 12 th century.
By the order of Prince Volyn Vladimir Vasilkovich, the prince of Volyn, he built several castles, including that in Brest (Berestye). The castle was built as an enclosed community. Like many European castles, it had a great round tower, on the raised mound (motte), surrounded by a moat on 3 sides and the river, an adjoining enclosure (bailey).
- A Thousand Years
- The Jews of Volodymyr
- The Synagogue
- The Rabbis
- World War II and The Holocaust
- Memorial Sites
- The Jewish Cemetery
- Traces of Presence
A centuries-old story of Volodymyr was described by many Ukrainian, Polish and Jewish authors. The oldest mention of the town can be found in the Primary Chronicle. In 988, the Kyiv Prince Vladimir Sviatoslavich gave this Volhynian settlement to his son Vsevolod. The oldest mention of the Jews of Volodymyr also also dates from the 10th century. A prominent expert in the history of Volhynia, Aleksander Cynkałowski, wrote: "The Jewish colony in Volodymyr dates back to ancient times; even before the rule of the Princes, they were attracted to Volhynia by trade... which is also mentioned by an Arabic historian Ibn-Khei-Kul in the 10th century. This colony was located in the town centre. There was an entire »Jewish Street«, but the Jews were not significant in trade at that time". These are the first written mentions of Jews not only in Volodymyr, but also on the territory of Volhynia. Unfortunately, the Arabic document cited by Cynkałowski was lost during World War II. There are also wr...
The Jewish community was organised in a quahal, i.e. an autonomous community with its own local government. The quahal's authority stretched to numerous neighbouring smaller quahals: Lokachi, Kovel, Kysylyn and others. The Jewish quarter was located in the north and east of the city. The Jews also inhabited a significant part of the city centre. Streets in the Jewish quarter were usually a place of trade; there were also small craft workshops. At the turn of the 14th and the 15th century, the Jews of Volodymyr had a strong economic position. They were actively trading with Lviv, Lutsk and Kiev. From Ustyluh, by the Bug River, goods were transported to Gdansk, and further to the Western Europe and back. In Volodymyr, you could meet Jewish traders from Turkey and Italy, Kiev and Krakow. They purchased goods and sold them to the East and from the East in turn, they imported silk and spices. At the beginning of the 16th century and in 1569, after incorporating Volhynia to Poland, the Je...
According to the 1897 census, the number of inhabitants in Volodymyr was 9,883, including 5,869 Jews (59.3%). At the end of the 19th century, a Talmud-Torah school was opened. At the beginning of the 20th century, there was a yeshiva and a state Jewish school. On 5 May 1900, a great fire broke out and destroyed 250 houses; 6 houses of worship and 68 Torah scrolls burned down; also the main synagogue was considerably destroyed. This tragedy prompted the Jewish community to establish a Mutual Assistance Fund in 1901. Also various political parties began their activity. Since the end of the 19th century, there was a branch of "Chibat Zion" (Heb. The Love of Zion), and since 1906, the "Bund" party as well as a Zionist-Socialists party. According to the information printed in the newspaper "Ha-Melic" (Heb. The Advocate), in 1903, the city had a hospital and a pharmacy. Most of the Jews were employed in trade of grain and horses. According to the 1910–1911 census, out of the 15,622 inhabi...
The largest known synagogue in town was located at Roxolany Street. It is believed that it was founded in 1801. Among the faithful attending this synagogue were mostly wealthy people. It was destroyed in the early 1950s. Its walls were so strong that their demolition required the use of tanks. Along with the rise of Hasidism, small houses of prayer, shtiebels, appeared in Volodymyr.
The first significant Rabbi of Volodymyr was Yitzhak ben Becalel, who was called the Ludmir Gaon (from the word Ludmir – the name Vladimir in Yiddish). He enjoyed great authority and led the community in 1542–1576. His grandson was born in Volodymyr: David ha-Levi Segal (1586–1667), also known by the acronym Taz, which came from the name of his main work Turei Zahav (Heb. Rows of Gold). David was one of the most prominent rabbis of his times. The Hasidic community in Volodymyr was led by one of the most respected rabbis in the history of Hasidism: tzadik Shlomo Gottlib ha-Levi Karliner (1738–1792). His master was Aaron Perlow of Karlin, who (together with Shlomo) was educated by the great Maggid, Dov Ber of Mezritch. Aaron Perlow founded a Hasidic center in Karlin, where a movement was formed, later called the Karlin or Stolin Hasidism. Shlomo was his best student and after the death of Aaron Perlow, he led the movement. Shlomo Karliner enjoyed enormous authority and communities of...
After the city was invaded by the Soviet army in 1939, teaching of religion and the Hebrew language was prohibited; Jewish schools taught in Yiddish. Over time, the Jewish schools were closed altogether. All Zionist parties were suspended аnd their leaders were exiled to Siberia in 1940. Volodymyr-Volynskyi was occupied by the Wehrmacht on 23 June 1941. Due to a large influx of refugees from Poland, which took place immediately after the outbreak of war, there is no way to accurately determine the number of the Jewish population of the city at that time. The city became the administrative center of the Volodymyr-Volynskyi Commissariat, led by the Commissioner Wilhelm Westerheide. In the autumn of 1941, a German police post was established, together with a police group consisting of a few dozens officers. Local Ukrainians (аnd from 1943 also Poles) joined this group voluntarily. Shortly after the occupation, the Nazis began the extermination of the Jews, who were arrested on the stre...
On 17 September 1989, in the village of Piatydnie, by the route Ustyluh-Volodymyr, near places of mass executions of Jews, a 12-meter obelisk in the shape of a candle was erected. Collective graves are located within 300 m north of the obelisk. Since 2010, the excavations have been carried out near the town, during which mass graves have been discovered. One of them has been excavated. In only one grave, skeletons of 747 people have been found and exhumed. Of these, 47% were women and 27% were children. In 2011, on the site of the former ghetto on Shevchenki, a memorial to victims of the Holocaust was erected.
On Drahomanova Street, where now there is the Gagarin Park, was once a Jewish cemetery. It was one of the oldest cementeries in Central and Eastern Europe. Many prominent people were burried there. During World War II, the matzevahs were used by the Nazis as a material for paving city streets. Even a few years ago, you could still see them with already blurred inscriptions, along Vasylivska Street. The destruction of the Jewish cemetery was completed in the Soviet era. It is known that some matzevahs were used to make other tombstones for Christian cemeteries. Directly at the cemetery, a school was built, along with a sports field and a residential building.
Several houses directly related to the history of the Jewish community can be still found in the city. On Lucka Street 81, there is a building of the former prayer house; on Podzamche, there is a building of the Jewish youth club "Akiva"; on the wall of a house on Danyla Halyckoho Street 22 you can see the symbol Ec Chaim (Heb. the Tree of Life). On Zelena Street 2, there is a building of a primary religious school for boys, Talmud-Torah, which functioned until the beginning of World War II. Today you can see here the Star of David in the form of a relief instilled in the brick wall. Also the building of the former Tarbut School has been preserved on Hajdamacka Street 24 and of the school for girls "Beys Yakov" on Drahomanova Street 9.
He showed the site to Vladimir Vasilkovich, the Prince of Volhynia, who appreciated the place and ordered Oleksa to build a castle with a keep on the spot. Later a town appeared around the fortification.