Yahoo Web Search

  1. Parishes: Mildenhall | British History Online

    www.british-history.ac.uk › vch › wilts
    • Manors and Other Estates.
    • Economic history.
    • Local Government.
    • Church.
    • Nonconformity.
    • Education.

    Between757 and 786 Cynewulf, king of Wessex, gavelands, later MILDENHALL manor, to Bica histhegn who granted them to Glastonbury abbey.A grant made to the abbey by King Edredbetween 946 and 955 probably confirmed theearlier gift. (fn. 48) The abbey held Mildenhall in 1086and was overlord of the manor c. 1230 and in1282. (fn. 49) Mildenhall was held of Glastonbury abbey byHugolin before 1086 and by Edward, probablyEdward of Salisbury, in that year. (fn. 50) It apparentlypassed to Edward of Salisbury's son Walter (d.1147) and Walter's son Patrick, first earl ofSalisbury, and descended with the earldom toMargaret Longespee, for in 1275 Margaret'shusband Henry de Lacy, earl of Lincoln, waslord of a knight's fee in Mildenhall in her right. (fn. 51) Their daughter Alice, countess of Lincoln and ofSalisbury, and her husband Sir Ebles Lestrangegranted the lordship to Hugh le Despenser, earlof Winchester, in 1325. (fn. 52) After Despenser'sexecution in 1326 the lordship passed to theCrown. (...

    Mildenhall. Theestate of Glastonbury abbey, said to include 15hides in the 10th century, (fn. 164) was assessed at 10hides in 1066. In 1086 there were only 6 ploughteams, although there was land for 10. Thedemesne, on which there were 2 teams, was of 4hides, and 15 villeins and 5 bordars had 4 teams.There was pasture ½ league long and 3 furlongsbroad and 10 a. of meadow. The estate increasedin value from £12 in 1066 to £18 in 1086. (fn. 165) Most of the arable lands of Mildenhall tithinglay in three fields, West, Middle, and East orThicket fields, in a band on the north side of theMarlborough–Ramsbury road. A fourth field,Wore or Oare, lay south of the road and west ofthe church. There was also tillage further northagain, probably in Sound Bottom; a field theremay have been open in the 14th century but waspartly or wholly inclosed in the 16th. (fn. 166) In the 16thcentury there was common pasture for sheep onGreenhill, south of Sound Bottom, and on'Hockdown' and 'Rawdown', which pre...

    Mildenhall tithingwas exempt from hundred jurisdiction in 1249, (fn. 247) although in 1275 it was said that suit had beenwithdrawn from the hundred courts c. 1260. (fn. 248) There was a royal prison at Mildenhall in 1265,and in 1272–3 James de Audeberg raised agallows there. (fn. 249) In the 15th and 16th centuries and in the early17th a combined view of frankpledge and courtwas held for the lord of Mildenhall manor inspring and autumn each year. Annual courts,known as courts leet and courts baron, were heldin the autumn in the 18th century. In 1512–13and in the 1590s a tithingman was elected at theautumn court and presented breaches of thepeace and of the assize. In 1592 it was agreed thatthe tithingman should hold while in office a plotof land near Werg bridge. In the 1630s theoccupier's tenure of the land lasted more than ayear and he was obliged to fill the office himself orby deputy. The tithingman was then sworn at thespring court. The homage made presentmentsrelating to custo...

    There was a church at Mildenhall inthe 12th century. (fn. 257) In 1297 the advowson of therectory was assigned with Mildenhall manor toJohn de Meriet and his wife Mary and it passedwith the manor until 1460. (fn. 258) Between 1404 and1422 the patronage was exercised by feoffees ofWalter, Lord Hungerford. (fn. 259) After the attainder ofRobert, Lord Hungerford and Moleyns (d. 1464),in 1461 the advowson was granted to Richard,duke of Gloucester, who presented in 1462. (fn. 260) It was restored to Robert's mother MargaretHungerford, Baroness Botreaux, at whose deathin 1478 it passed to her great-granddaughterMary, Baroness Botreaux, later wife of Edward,Lord Hastings. (fn. 261) In or after 1485, however,Sir Walter Hungerford, son of Robert, LordHungerford (d. 1464), claimed the advowson aspart of his father's entailed estates. (fn. 262) In 1486,1487, and 1490 presentations were made byRobert's trustees. That of 1490 apparently didnot take effect, perhaps because Mary, LadyBotreaux and...

    Thomas Bailey, a FifthMonarchy man, ejected from Mildenhall rectoryin 1660, probably continued to preach in the areauntil his death in 1663. (fn. 308) A Quaker family lived inthe parish in the 1660s and 1670s. (fn. 309)

    In 1808 some fourteen childrenattended a school kept by a poor woman inMildenhall. (fn. 310) The school had been closed by1818 when the only provision for educating thepoor was two Sunday schools and catechizing. (fn. 311) In that year, however, Charles Francis, therector, gave land and in 1821 he bequeathed£4,000 for a school. Half the money was investedand half used to build a school and teacher'shouse, designed by Robert Abraham and completed in 1824. The building, in Perpendicularstyle, has a two-storeyed octagonal central blockand a lantern roof. From alternate sides radiatesingle-storeyed wings, two of which were used asschoolrooms. (fn. 312) The income from investment,£100 in 1858, was used to pay a master and amistress and for the general expenses of theschool. (fn. 313) There were 28 pupils in 1833 (fn. 314) andnumbers rose to between 60 and 70 in the late19th century. By 1873 the central area ofthe school had been divided into additionalschoolrooms and in 1898 one of the o...

  2. List of nobles and magnates of England in the 13th century

    en.wikipedia.org › wiki › List_of_Nobles_and

    2 days ago · William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1199–1219) William Marshal, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (1219–1231) Richard Marshal, 3rd Earl of Pembroke (1231–1234) Gilbert Marshal, 4th Earl of Pembroke (1234–1241) Walter Marshal, 5th Earl of Pembroke (1242–1245) 21 Earls of Hertford East

  3. Parishes: Shrivenham | British History Online

    www.british-history.ac.uk › vch › berks
    • Manors
    • Church
    • Advowson
    • Charities

    In 1086 SHRIVENHAM formed partof the royal demesne. (fn. 7) The manorremained vested in the Crown (fn. 8) until1200, when it was granted by King John to GeoffreyCount of Perche in part payment of a rent of £1,000assigned to him by the king. (fn. 9) The count sided withthe French in the struggle at the beginning of thereign of Henry III, and was killed at the battle ofLincoln (fn. 10) in 1217. The manor came again to theCrown, and the custody of it was granted successivelyto Henry de Trubleville and Robert de Drus. (fn. 11) Shortly afterwards, during the minority of the king,the Bishop of Châlons is said to have come to Englandand to have claimed the lands of Geoffrey Countof Perche. The bishop's rights in Shrivenham werebought by William Marshal and William Longespée,Earl of Salisbury, custodians of the realm, who keptthe manor to their own use. (fn. 12) William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, granted hismoiety of Shrivenham, afterwards known as the manorof SHRIFENHAM SALOP, to Warin Mon...

    The church of ST. ANDREWstands on the north side of thevillage, from which the churchyard isentered through an oak lych-gate erected in 1912.The building consists of a chancel 32 ft. by 19 ft.6 in., central tower 12 ft. 9 in. by 13 ft. 2 in., andnave 46 ft. 6 in. by 19 ft. 6 in. with north and southaisles 13 ft. wide the full length of the building, andwest porch; the plan thus forms a rectangle measuringinternally 101 ft. by 52 ft. Except a part of the west wall, which is apparentlyof the late 12th century, and the tower, which datesfrom the first half of the 15th century, the churchwas rebuilt in its present form, largely at the expenseof Lord Craven, in 1638. (fn. 243) Two flat buttresses inthe west wall at the ends of the nave arcades suggestan early aisled building, but the form of the planeastward cannot now be stated. A cruciform plan,however, obtained in the 15th century, the towerbeing open by pointed arches on all four sides.The present north and south walls are probably b...

    The church at Shrivenham wasgranted, with the land, chapels, (fn. 259) and tithes appurtenant to it, to theabbey of Cirencester by Henry I in his foundationcharter. (fn. 260) The king presented to the living in 1362owing to the voidance of the abbey. (fn. 261) At the closeof the century the abbot was engaged in a suit at theRoman court with David Candelar, the vicar, (fn. 262) whoapparently claimed a mansion and land in Longcot. (fn. 263) At an inquisition taken in 1534 it was deposed thatthere had long been a chantry with one chaplain inthe chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Longcot,and that this was annexed to the parish church ofShrivenham, and before 1460 had been endowed withcertain tenements by George Earl of Shrewsbury. (fn. 264) The abbey continued to hold the church until theDissolution, at which time there were chapels attachedto it at Longcot and Watchfield. (fn. 265) After the Dissolution the advowson of the church with its chapelsremained in the Crown. (fn. 266) A cha...

    Marten's almshouses, founded andendowed by Sir Henry Marten andHenry Marten by indenture of 17July 1641, consist of ten almshouses and gardens,which are endowed with 40 acres or thereabouts inStanford in the Vale, let at £60 a year, and a yearlysum of £14 paid by Viscount Barrington in respectof certain South Sea stock sold in 1807 by theexecutor of the fourth viscount. The almshouses areusually occupied by five men and five women, ofwhom only eight receive a stipend, being 3s. 6d. aweek. The non-stipendiaries are promoted to astipend as vacancies occur. The Rt. Hon. William Wildman, by deed of 26October 1753, demised four tenements to be occupiedby poor people of Shrivenham at a rent of 20s.These cottages are also under the management of thetrustees of the almshouses, who let them at 1s. a weekeach, the net rents being applied in the maintenanceof Marten's almshouses. The Poor's Land or Garrard's charity now consistsof 3 a. 1 r. 8 p. known as the Cow Lease, let at £6 ayear, which,...

  4. Family tree of English monarchs - Wikipedia

    en.wikipedia.org › wiki › English_monarchs_family_tree

    6 days ago · William Marshal 2nd Earl of Pembroke 1190–1231: Eleanor of Leicester 1215–1275: m. 1238 Simon de Montfort 6th Earl of Leicester 1208–1265: m. 1231 Isabel Marshal 1200–1240: Richard 1st Earl of Cornwall 1209–1272: m. 1243 Sanchia of Provence c. 1228 –1261: Joan of England 1210–1238: m. 1221 Alexander II of Scotland 1198–1249: Isabella of England 1214–1241: m. 1235

  5. Fine Rolls Henry III: Fine of the Month: July 2010

    finerollshenry3.org.uk › content › month

    Jul 20, 2021 · The government was led by the regent, William Marshal, who, as earl of Pembroke and lord of Leinster, was one whose authority had been circumscribed by King John. Reginald de Braose’s brother-in-law, Walter de Lacy, was also a prominent member of the early council, as were other lords of the Welsh marches and Ireland.

  6. What Happened In 1217 | Hisdates.Com

    www.hisdates.com › years › 1217-historical-events

    Jul 21, 2021 · May 20 In the year 1217 the Second Battle of Lincoln is fought near Lincoln, England, resulting in the defeat of Prince Louis of France by William Marshal, 2nd Earl of Pembroke. Aug 24 Battle at South Foreland: English fleet beats France in the year 1217. Aug 24 Eustace "the Monk", French buccaneer, dies in battle on this day in history.

  7. Historical Attractions in Forest of Dean, Herefordshire and ...

    www.royalforestofdean.info › historical

    Jul 21, 2021 · The palisade of the bailey was replaced by a masonry wall with round towers in c1212-19 by William Marshal, earl of Pembroke. The castle was again captured during the war of 1233 between Richard Marshal and Henry III.

  8. William Peverel | The History Jar

    thehistoryjar.com › tag › william-peverel

    Jul 20, 2021 · by JuliaH. 2. Thomas Cromwell – Holbein. Peverel, the alleged son of William the Conqueror, was at Hastings and rewarded by the Conqueror with large land holdings in the Midlands. As well as founding Lenton Priory in Nottinghamshire he also founded St James’ and provided it with land near Duston as well as the mill and advowson of Duston.

  9. People also search for