William Wyler (/ ˈ w aɪ l ər /; born Willi Wyler (German: [ˈvɪli ˈvi:lɐ]); July 1, 1902 – July 27, 1981) was a Swiss-German film director and producer.Notable works include Mrs. Miniver (1942), The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), and Ben-Hur (1959), all of which won him the Academy Award for Best Director (while also winning Best Picture).
- Film director, producer
- Carl Laemmle Jr. (cousin)
William Wyler, Director: The Best Years of Our Lives. William Wyler was an American filmmaker who, at the time of his death in 1981, was considered by his peers as second only to John Ford as a master craftsman of cinema. The winner of three Best Director Academy Awards, second again only to Ford's four, Wyler's reputation has unfairly suffered as the lack of an obvious "signature" in his ...
William Wyler. Highest Rated: 100% The Big Country (1958) Lowest Rated: 67% The Liberation of L.B. Jones (1970) Birthday: Jul 01, 1902. Birthplace: Mülhausen, Alsace, Germany. Few film directors ...
10. Rate. 0. Error: please try again. The lives of a young man and woman, an infamous gangster and a group of street kids converge one day in a volatile New York City slum. Director: William Wyler | Stars: Sylvia Sidney, Joel McCrea, Humphrey Bogart, Wendy Barrie. Votes: 6,767.
On July 27, 1981, Wyler died from a heart attack just three days after granting daughter, producer Catherine Wyler, an on-camera interview for the PBS documentary, "Directed by William Wyler." He was 79 years old and left a widow of third wife, Margaret Tallichet, whom he had married in 1938.
Oct 08, 2000 · A pillar of the American film industry, William Wyler directed some of the best loved movies of his time. Known for his sensitive direction of great actors, he worked with some of the best ...
Jul 23, 2021 · William Wyler, German-born American director of motion pictures that combined a high degree of technical polish with a clear narrative style and sensitive handling of human relationships. His movies included The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Roman Holiday (1953), Ben-Hur (1959), and Funny Girl (1968).
William Wyler (1902-1981) William Wyler will always be recognised as one of the most important and successful movie directors in the history of Hollywood. He directed many legendary movies which succeeded both in critical as well as financial terms and he dealt cleverly with some fragile and volatile temperaments, not always by treading softly.
Highly respected and influencial motion picture director. He made such films as Mrs. Miniver, Wuthering Heights, and Ben-Hur.
- THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946) Screenplay by Robert E. Sherwood, based on the novella ‘Glory for Me’ by MacKinlay Kantor.
- THE HEIRESS (1949) Screenplay by Ruth and Augustus Goetz, based on their play and the novel ‘Washington Square’ by Henry James.
- ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) Screenplay by Dalton Trumbo, Ian McLellan Hunter, John Dighton, story by Trumbo. Starring Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Eddie Albert, Hartley Power, Harcourt Williams, Margaret Rawlings.
- WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939) Screenplay by Charles MacArthur and Ben Hecht, based on the novel by Emily Bronte. Starring Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, David Niven, Flora Robson, Donald Crisp, Geraldine Fitzgerald.