Character Analysis A Raisin in the Sun
- A Raisin in the Sun Summary . The Youngers are a poor African-American family living on the South Side of Chicago. An opportunity to escape from poverty comes in the form of a $10,000 life insurance check that the matriarch of the family (Lena Younger or Mama) receives upon her husband's death.
People also ask
What is the plot of A Raisin in the Sun?
Who is Walter in A Raisin in the Sun?
What are some quotes from A Raisin in the Sun?
What is a Raisin in the Sun about?
- Walter Lee Younger. The protagonist of the play. Walter is a dreamer. He wants to be rich and devises plans to acquire wealth with his friends, particularly Willy Harris.
- Beneatha Younger (“Bennie”) Mama’s daughter and Walter’s sister. Beneatha is an intellectual. Twenty years old, she attends college and is better educated than the rest of the Younger family.
- Lena Younger (“Mama”) Walter and Beneatha’s mother. The matriarch of the family, Mama is religious, moral, and maternal. She wants to use her husband’s insurance money as a down payment on a house with a backyard to fulfill her dream for her family to move up in the world.
- Ruth Younger. Walter’s wife and Travis’s mother. Ruth takes care of the Youngers’ small apartment. Her marriage to Walter has problems, but she hopes to rekindle their love.
A Raisin in the Sun Characters T he main characters in A Raisin in the Sun are Lena Younger, Walter Younger, Beneatha Younger, Ruth Younger, and Travis Younger. Lena Younger is the matriarch of the...
A Raisin in the Sun, a play by Lorraine Hansberry, is the story of a lower-class African American family living on the Southside of Chicago during the 1950s. The family seeks to move into a home in...
- 6 min
- Lena Younger (Mama) The matriarch of the Younger family, Lena, commonly referred to as “Mama,” is Walter Lee and Beneatha’s mother and Travis’ grandmother.
- Walter Lee Younger. Mama’s oldest child and Beneatha’s brother. Walter is married to Ruth and is Travis’ father. Walter is a “lean, intense young man” in his mid-thirties and “nervous movements and erratic speech habits” characterize his behavior… read analysis of Walter Lee Younger.
- Beneatha Younger. Nicknamed “Bennie,” Beneatha is Mama’s daughter and Walter Lee’s younger sister. A twenty-year-old college student with dreams of becoming a doctor, Beneatha is “as slim and intense as her brother,” with an “intellectual face.”
- Ruth Younger. Walter Lee’s wife and Travis’ mother. About thirty years old, Ruth was once “exceptionally” pretty, although an air of “disappointment has already begun to hang in her face.”
A Raisin in the Sun A Raisin in the Sun portrays a few weeks in the life of the Youngers, an Black family living on the South Side of Chicago in the 1950s. When the play opens, the Youngers are about to receive an insurance check for $10,000. This money comes from the deceased Mr. Younger’s life insurance policy.
- Dominic A Taylor, Lorraine Hansberry
Mar 15, 2021 · A Raisin in the Sun Plot Summary; A Raisin in the Sun Analysis; How to Make a Book Summary Mind Map; A Raisin in the Sun Character List Edit this example. As mentioned above, the story tells the life of the Youngers. They are a family of black people residing in Chicago during a time of evident racism. Each characters were developed ...
A Raisin in the Sun examines the effects of racial prejudice on the fulfillment of an African-American family’s dreams. The play centers on the Youngers, a working-class family that lives in Chicago’s South Side during the mid-twentieth century.
See a complete list of the characters in A Raisin in the Sun and read in-depth analyses of Walter, Mama, Beneatha, Asagai, and Ruth Younger.
The Character of Walter as both Protagonist and Antagonist of the Play “A Raisin in the Sun” Hansberry’s play “A Raisin in the Sun” deals with several themes including racial tension, oppression, family conflict and the fulfillment of dreams. The character of Walter as the protagonist of the play also serves as a form of antagonist.