People also ask
When was the first acadamy awards?
What awards were won at the first Academy Awards?
What is Academy Award for Best Animated Feature?
What year was the 1929 awards?
The Academy Award for Best Picture is one of the Academy Awards presented annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) since the awards debuted in 1929. This award goes to the producers of the film and is the only category in which every member of the Academy is eligible to submit a nomination and vote on the final ballot ...
ACADEMY AWARDS BEST PICTURE* WINNERS (*originally known as Best Production) 1927/28 - 1959 Part 1 : Note: Oscar® and Academy Awards® and Oscar® design mark are the trademarks and service marks and the Oscar© statuette the copyrighted property, of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.Film YearBest Picture Academy Award WinnersDirector (* Did not also win Best Director)Title Screen and Studio or Production CompanyWings (Outstanding Picture) Sunrise (Unique and Artistic Picture)William A. Wellman* (The two Best Director nominees/winners were Lewis Milestone and Frank Borzage)Paramount Famous LaskyThe Broadway Melody (Outstanding Picture)Harry Beaumont*MGMAll Quiet on the Western Front (Outstanding Production)Lewis MilestoneUniversalCimarronWesley Ruggles*RKO Radio
ACADEMY AWARDS BEST PICTURE* WINNERS (*originally known as Best Production) 1960 - Present Part 2 : Note: Oscar® and Academy Awards® and Oscar® design mark are the trademarks and service marks and the Oscar© statuette the copyrighted property, of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.Film YearBest Picture Academy Award WinnersDirector (* Did not also win Best Director)Title Screen and Studio or Production CompanyParasiteBong Joon HoNeonGreen BookPeter Farrelly*UniversalThe Shape of WaterGuillermo del ToroFox SearchlightMoonlightBarry Jenkins*A24/Plan B Entertainment
- Rich Knight
- Birdman (2015) I might catch hell for this, but for me, Birdman is not only the best movie to win Best Picture in the past 10 years, but also the best American film in that time frame as well.
- Spotlight (2016) Spotlight is our All The President’s Men. But unlike All The President’s Men, it actually won Best Picture! It’s the true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered and covered (see what I did there?)
- 12 Years A Slave (2014) By far the hardest Best Picture winner on this list to watch, 12 Years A Slave is the true story of Solomon Northup (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor).
- Argo (2013) Ben Affleck was robbed. Based on a true story, Argo is about a CIA agent (played by Affleck, who also directed the film) who pretends to be a producer for a sci-fi flick in order to get six Americans out of Iran.
Academy Awards History - By Decade and Year. A full and complete history and commentary on the Academy Awards from its early beginnings to the present is available, by decade and by individual year. Each year displays the poster for the Best Picture winner.
- 2000. GLADIATOR (2000) Chocolat (2000, UK/US) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000, US/HK/China/Taiwan) (aka Wo Hu Cang Long) Erin Brockovich (2000)
- 2001. A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001) Gosford Park (2001, UK/US) In the Bedroom (2001) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) Moulin Rouge!
- 2002. CHICAGO (2002) Gangs of New York (2002) The Hours (2002) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002, US/NZ) The Pianist (2002) Best Animated Feature Film.
- 2003. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003) Lost In Translation (2003) Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
The 1st Academy Awards ceremony took place on Thursday, May 16, 1929 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. The winners were selected from movies released August 1, 1927 to August 1, 1928. The 1st Academy Award Winners. Outstanding Picture: Wings. Unique and Artistic Picture: Sunrise. Best Actor: Emil Jannings - The Last Command, The Way of All Flesh
The 1st Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 1927 and 1928 and took place on May 16, 1929, at a private dinner held at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, California.
The Academy Award for Best Animated Feature is given each year for animated films. An animated feature is defined by the Academy as a film with a running time of more than 40 minutes in which characters' performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique, a significant number of the major characters are animated, and animation figures in no less than 75 percent of the running time.
- related to: academy award best picture winners by year