People also ask
What awards were won at the first Academy Awards?
How many movies have won the Best Picture awards?
Who was the first actor to win an Academy Award posthumously?
Which director won nomination for Best Picture?
Best Actor winner for Milk, with past winners Michael Douglas, Adrien Brody, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins and Robert De Niro 2009 | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Skip to main content
The Academy Award for Best Picture is one of the Academy Awards presented annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) since the awards debuted in 1929. This award goes to the producers of the film and is the only category in which every member of the Academy is eligible to submit a nomination and vote on the final ballot ...
- 2000. GLADIATOR (2000) Chocolat (2000, UK/US) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000, US/HK/China/Taiwan) (aka Wo Hu Cang Long) Erin Brockovich (2000)
- 2001. A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001) Gosford Park (2001, UK/US) In the Bedroom (2001) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) Moulin Rouge!
- 2002. CHICAGO (2002) Gangs of New York (2002) The Hours (2002) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002, US/NZ) The Pianist (2002) Best Animated Feature Film.
- 2003. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003) Lost In Translation (2003) Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
Oscars Best Picture Winners Best Picture Winners Golden Globes Emmys STARmeter Awards San Diego ... Academy Awards, USA 2009 Winner ... OFTA Film Award: Best Picture ...
Feature Film Categories Best Picture. Animated feature films were nominated for Best Picture in only three cases: 1991, 2009 and 2010. Beauty and the Beast is the only animated-feature film Best Picture nominee before the inception of Best Animated Feature and in the five-nominee format.
* Best Picture - Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, Producers * Sound Mixing - Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges and Hammond Peek * Music (Original Score) - Howard Shore
Oscars Best Picture Winners Best Picture Winners Golden Globes Emmys STARmeter Awards San Diego ... Slumdog Millionaire (2008) ... Award of the Japanese Academy: Best ...
- Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) When Mad Max: Fury Road was released in theaters in 2015, no one thought that it would be a critical darling—or an awards contender .
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) Although the first two installments in The Lord of the Rings trilogy—2001’s The Fellowship of the Ring and 2002’s The Two Towers—were each nominated for Best Picture, it was the final movie that ended up winning the Academy Award in 2004.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) In 2003, The Two Towers won two of the six Oscars for which it was nominated, for Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects.
- First Black Artist To Win An Oscar: Hattie McDaniel. In 1940, Hattie McDaniel became the first African American to be nominated for an Oscar—then the first African American artist to win an Oscar—when she took home the Best Supporting Actress statuette for her work in Gone with the Wind.
- First Actor To Refuse An Oscar: George C. Scott. In 1971, George C. Scott refused both the nomination and eventual win for Best Actor in Patton. Scott sent the Academy a telegram saying that he refused to accept the nomination because he disliked the voting process and felt that competing against his fellow actors was artistically wrong.
- First Person To Present Him/Herself With An Oscar: Norma Shearer. During the third Academy Awards in 1931, Norma Shearer was the presenter for the Best Actress category.
- First Color Movie To Win A Best Picture Oscar: Gone With The Wind. In 1938, A Star Is Born became the first all-color movie to receive a Best Picture nomination.