airforce.com has been visited by 10K+ users in the past month
- Official Site
Learn about great opportunities for
enlisted airmen, officers and ...
- Air Force Pararescue Team
PJ Specialists Rescue And Recover
Downed Aircrews From Hostile Areas.
- EOD - Air Force Special Warfare
Analyze unknown munitions and
explosives for intelligence ...
- About Airforce
Whether you have specific questions
about how to join the Air ...
- Official Site
An air force – in the broadest sense – is the national military branch that primarily conducts aerial warfare. More specifically, it is the branch of a nation's armed services that is responsible for aerial warfare as distinct from an army or navy.
An air force is the branch of a country's military which fights in the air. The air force is made up of aircraft such as fighters, bombers, helicopters and transport aircraft. When a navy has its own air force it is called Naval Aviation. Air forces began in the early 20th century, usually as part of the army. Most countries separated their air forces in the 1930s and 1940s. Aircraft in an air force sometimes fly in a formation. Formations are when the aircraft fly in a pattern.
The United States Air Force (USAF) is the aerial warfare branch of the United States armed forces and one of the seven uniformed services. It was a part of the United States Army until September 18, 1947. The USAF is the largest and most of technologically advanced air force in the world.
- No Insignia
- Mission Statement
- Pilot Selection and Training
- See Also
- Further Reading
- External Links
The Israeli Air Force states the following as its functions: 1. To protect the State of Israel from aerial attack and to defend the IDF's zone of operations 2. To achieve air supremacy throughout the IDF's zone of operation 3. To participate in the fighting on both ground and sea 4. To hit targets deep in enemy territory 5. To create the aerial intelligence picture and participate in the creation of the general intelligence picture and its assessment 6. To transport troops, equipment and weapons systems 7. To carry out search, rescue and aerial evacuation missions 8. To execute special operations 9. To continually build and improve itself, as part of the general plan for improving the IDF and in accordance with the authority vested in it
The insignia / roundel of the Israeli Air Force consists of a blue Star of Davidon a white circle. Aircraft usually carry it painted in six positions – on the top and bottom of each wing, and on each side of the fuselage. A low-visibility variant – a blue Star of David without the white circle – also exists, although its use is extremely rare. Squadron markings usually go on the tail fin.
Forerunners of the Israeli Air Force were the Palestine Flying Service established by the Irgun in 1937, and Sherut Avir, the air wing of the Haganah. The Israeli Air Force formed on May 28, 1948, shortly after Israel declared statehood and found itself under attack. The force consisted of a hodge-podge of commandeered or donated civilian aircraft converted to military use. A variety of obsolete and surplus ex-World War II combat-aircraft were quickly sourced by various means to supplement th...
The Israeli Air Force played an important part in Operation Kadesh, Israel's part in the 1956 Suez Crisis. At the launch of the operation, on October 29, Israeli P-51D Mustangs, some using their propellor blades, severed telephone lines in the Sinai, while 16 IAF DC-3s – escorted by fighters – dropped Israeli paratroopers behind Egyptian lines at the Mitla Pass and Et-Tur. The Israeli Air Force also conducted attacks on Egyptian ground units and assisted the Israeli Navy in capturing the Egyp...
In three hours on the morning of June 5, 1967, the first day of the Six-Day War, the Israeli Air Force executed Operation Focus, crippling the opposing Arab air forces and attaining air supremacy for the remainder of the war. In a surprise attack, the IAF destroyed most of the Egyptian Air Force while its planes were still on the ground. By the end of the day, with surrounding Arab countries also drawn into the fighting, the IAF had mauled the Syrian and Jordanian air forces as well, striking...
1. Chief of Air Staff Group 2. Fixed Wing Group 3. Helicopter Group 4. Intelligence Group 5. Equipment Group 6. Manpower Group 7. Chief Medical Officer 8. Unit Control Group 9. Air Special Forces Group 9.1. Shaldag– air force special operations unit 9.2. Unit 669 – medevacextraction unit 10. Air Defense Command 10.1. Northern Air Defense Regiment 10.2. Central Air Defense Regiment 10.3. Southern Air Defense Regiment (including Air Defense School)
1. Ramat David Airbase (Wing 1) 1.1. 101 "First Fighter" Squadron 1.2. 105 "Scorpion" Squadron 1.3. 109 "Valley" Squadron 1.4. 193 "Defenders of the West" Squadron 2. Sdot Micha Airbase (Wing 2) 2.1. 150 Squadron 2.2. 199 Squadron 2.3. 248 Squadron 3. Hatzor Airbase (Wing 4) 3.1. 100 "Flying Camel" Squadron 4. Hatzerim Airbase (Air Force Base 6) 4.1. 69 "Hammers" Squadron 4.2. 102 "Flying Tiger" Squadron 4.3. IAF Aerobatic Team 4.4. 107 "Knights of the Orange Tail" Squadron 4.5. Air Force Inf...
Thirty nine Israeli pilots have been credited with ace status, having shot down at least 5 enemy aircraft. Of these, 10 have shot down at least eight jet planes. The top ranking Israeli ace is Colonel Giora Epstein, who shot down seventeen enemy planes. Epstein holds the world record for jet aircraft shot down, and the most aircraft of any type shot down since the Korean War. Although women had served as pilots during the Israeli War of Independence and a few years thereafter, the Israel Defence Forces had until 1995 denied women the opportunity to become pilots. In 1995, civilian pilot and aeronautical engineer Alice Miller successfully petitioned the Israel High Court of Justice to take the Israeli Air Force pilot training exams, after being rejected on grounds of gender. Though president Ezer Weizman, a former IAF commander, told Miller that she'd be better off staying home and darning socks, the court in 1996 eventually ruled that the IAF could not exclude qualified women from p...
1. Aloni, Shlomo (2001). Arab-Israeli Air Wars. Combat Aircraft. UK: Osprey. ISBN 978-1-84176-294-4. 2. ——— (2004). Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces. UK: Osprey. ISBN 1-84176-783-2. 3. ——— (2004). Israeli Phantom II Aces. UK: Osprey. ISBN 1-84176-653-4. 4. ——— (2009). Israeli A-4 Skyhawk Units in Combat. Combat Aircraft. UK: Osprey. ISBN 978-1-84603-430-5. 5. ———; Avidror, Zvi (2010). Hammers – Israel's Long-Range Heavy Bomber Arm: The Story of 69 Squadron. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing. ISBN...Amir, Amos. Brig Gen. Fire in the Sky : Flying in Defence of Israel. Pen & Sword Aviation (2005). ISBN 1-84415-156-5Anoni, Shlomo. "The Last of the Wooden Wonders: The DH Mosquito in Israeli Service". Air Enthusiast, No. 83, September–October 1999, pp. 30–51. ISSN 0143-5450Cull, Brian and Aloni, Shlomo, with Nicolle, David. Spitfires Over Israel. Grubb Street (1994). ISBN 0-948817-74-7Cull, Brian and Aloni, Shlomo, with Nicolle, David. Wings Over Suez. Grubb Street (1996). ISBN 1-898697-48-5"The Israeli Air Force". NL: Scramble. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012. Cite journal requires |journal= (help)
- Current inventory
The Philippine Air Force is the aerial warfare service branch of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. Initially formed as part of the Philippine Army, the PAF is responsible for both defending the Philippine airspace, and conducting aerial operations throughout the Philippines, such as close air support operations, combat air patrols, aerial reconnaissance missions, airlift operations, tactical operations and aerial humanitarian operations. The PAF is headquartered at the Villamor Air Base in Pa
The forerunners of the Philippine Air Force was the Philippine Militia, otherwise known as Philippine National Guard. On March 17, 1917, Senate President Manuel L. Quezon enacted a bill for the creation of the Philippine Militia. It was enacted in anticipation that there would be
During the 70s, the PAF was actively providing air support for the AFP campaign against the MNLF forces in Central Mindanao, aside from doing the airlifting duties for troop movements from Manila and Cebu to the warzone. Traditional workhorses like the UH-1H choppers, L-20 ...
The importance of territorial defense capability was highlighted in the public eye on 1995 when the AFP published photographs of Chinese structures on Mischief Reef in the Spratlys. The PAF MD-520MG displayed at the Mall of Asia. Initial attempts to improve the capabilities of th
The Philippine Air Force is commanded by the Chief of the Air Force, holding the rank of Lieutenant General, and is assisted by the Vice Chief of the Philippine Air Force, and the Chief of Air Staff, in charge of organizational and administrative matters, both holders of the rank of Major General. The Philippine Air Force consists of three tactical commands, three support commands, seven air wings including one separate search and rescue wing, one engineering brigade, one air control and warning
Future combat aircraft acquisitions currently being considered are the Saab JAS 39 Gripen and the EMB 314 Super Tucano platforms, due to pricing, funding and delivery date issues, the DND would be submitting proposals based on the countries financial state. Additionally more UH-6
People also ask
What is the job of the Air Force?
How many people are in the Air Force?
What is the Air Force pay scale?
What is the history of the US Air Force?
The Indian Air Force was established on 8 October 1932 in British India as an auxiliary air force of the Royal Air Force.The enactment of the Indian Air Force Act 1932 stipulated out their auxiliary status and enforced the adoption of the Royal Air Force uniforms, badges, brevets and insignia.
The Air Force is led by an air vice-marshal who holds the appointment of Chief of Air Force.The RNZAF motto is the same as that of the Royal Air Force, Per ardua ad astra, meaning "Through adversity to the stars".
Update: Air Force puts future basing plans for Davis-Monthan AFB, Nellis AFB on hold pending NDAA outcome; Around the Air Force: Recruiting Diversity, Airmen Aid Flood Victims and Record-Breaking Satellite
airforce.com has been visited by 10K+ users in the past month