- Free collection available
Create something incredible with
curated collections of free assets.
- 100M Photos & Graphics
Find the perfect assets instantly.
Your creativity is limitless!
- 4K and HD Stock video
Deeper integration, built right
into the world’s best video apps!
Download the Latest Version.
Learn More Today!
- Free collection available
- Wikipedia pages, including non-English language pages, are hosted on a server in the United States, so U.S. law governs whether a Wikipedia image is in the public domain. Images may be placed into the public domain by their creators, or they may be public domain because they are ineligible for copyright or because their copyright expired.
People also ask
Are photos on Wikipedia copyrighted?
Are Pinterest images in the public domain?
Is clip art a public domain?
What is a public domain image?
User-created images. Wikipedia encourages users to upload their own images. All user-created images must be licensed under a free license, such as the GFDL and/or an acceptable Creative Commons license, or released into the public domain, which removes all copyright and licensing restrictions. When licensing an image, it is common practice to multi-license under both GFDL and a Creative Commons license.
t. e. Public domain image resources is a copy of the master Wikipedia page at Meta, which lists a number of sources of public domain images on the Web. Public Domain images should be marked with the Public Domain Mark 1.0.
For all practical purposes on Wikipedia, the public domain comprises copyright-free works: anyone can use them in any way and for any purpose. Proper attribution to the author or source of a work, even if it is in the public domain, is still required in order to comply with relevant policies.
Public domain status of television episodes is made complicated by derivative work considerations and disputes over what constitutes "publication" for legal purposes (a network may claim a broadcast telecast once over a network but never syndicated may be an unpublished work); for example, 16 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show are, due to ...
Note, however, that wherever public domain resources are used on Wikipedia they should be properly attributed, just like any other source (see Wikipedia:Citing sources and Wikipedia:Plagiarism). This page is intended as a helpful guide to public-domain resources.
A public-domain film is a film that was never under copyright, was released to public domain by its author or has had its copyright expired. In 2016, there were more than 2,000 films in the public domain from every genre, including musicals, romance, horror, noir, westerns, and animated films.
- See Also
- General Collections
- Animals and Plants
1. http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/flight/index.html 2. https://www.nellis.af.mil/News/Photos.aspx 3. NASA Image Exchange 4. http://www.af.mil/photos/
1. https://www.ars.usda.gov/oc/images/photos/photos-animals/ 2. http://pdphoto.org/ 3. http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=OC_PHOTOGRAPHY (archived old page) 4. http://images.fws.gov/ 5. http://www.nps.gov/yell/press/images/ 6. www.fourmilab.ch/images/eclipse_2001/africaimages.html
1. http://www.copyrightexpired.com/earlyimage/index.htmlAll images were published before 1923, so they are in the public domain in the US. 2. http://www.50birds.com/Default.htmAll images were published before 1923, so they are in the public domain in the US. 3. http://www.ivorybill.com/Same as above, this page is a section of it.
1. http://www.ars.usda.gov/News//docs.htm?docid=24127 2. http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/imagebase.html 3. http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/nordflor/inneh.html 4. http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/index.html 5. University of Leuven, Belgium - Images free to use for non-commercial use. 6. BiolibA collection of 68395 scanned pages from 290 books, some of them with expired copyrights. 7. http://alienplantsbelgium.be/ As stated on http://alienplantsbelgium.be/"Except where otherwise noted, c...http://darwin-online.org.uk/ Everything is PD old. (Commons:Deletion requests/Images from Darwin Online)PubMed Central - The "open access subset" contains images that have compatible licenses. For example, this searchfinds open access articles related to "cat".
1. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/ammemhome.htmlLibrary of Congress American Memory site 1. 1.1. 1.1.1. Check copyright information for the separate items before deciding to use them! 1. http://www.exclassics.com/newgate/ngillus.htm Images from The Newgate Calendar. Mostly crimes and criminals from the 18th century. Also other works at http://www.exclassics.com 2. http://columbus.gl.iit.edu/Images from the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, in many categories. 3. http://www.old-picture.com/Co...
1. World War II Poster Collectionover 300 posters issued by U.S. Federal agencies 2. Photos of the Great War many images of World War I, scanned in from public domain resources. Slight usage notice, which is probably compatible with GFDL (requires attribution and link, as does GFDL, requests e-mail notice of usage). 3. http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/childlabor/ Child Labor in america 1908 - 1912 by Lewis W. Hine
1. https://www.lib.utexas.edu/exhibits/portraits/- A selection of portraits of historical figures 2. http://teachpol.tcnj.edu/amer_pol_hist/- A collection of over 500 public domain images of American Political History 3. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/dag/ - more than 700 Daguerreotypes1839 - 1864 (mostly portraits) 4. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/van/ Creative Americans 1932 - 1964, photographs by Carl Van Vechten; 1400 public domain portrait photos 5. https://www.loc.gov...
Machine-readable raw map data
1. CIA World Data Bank II: available from http://www.evl.uic.edu/pape/data/WDB/ and from http://www.246.dk/ciaworld.html
1. https://www.loc.gov/maps/collections/Library of Congress digital map archive 1500-2002 (some maps under copyright) 2. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ 3. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/nhs_maps/U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration maps of the National Highway System (NHS) 4. https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/index.htmlPCL Map Collection -- most maps copyrighted, 5. http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/omc/Public dom...
Info Since August 2008, Commons policyallows the uploading of faithful reproductions of 2D public domain works of art, regardless of any claim to copyright made under local law to the contrary. 1. http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/contents.asp- Images of the works of more than 2,600 realist painters many in the public domain, check catalogue for dates of works and artists. 2. http://www.historylink102.com/india/india-art.htm- free images about the People and Art of India. Users should credit them and link back to their URL. 3. National Gallery, UK 4. National Portrait Gallery, UK == Logos and flags == *https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/CIA World Factbookhttp://www.stervanwalcheren.nl/ (see http://www.stervanwalcheren.nl/2003/fotos03.phpfor the photos) - Site of a Dutch ladies' cycling tournament. All pictures copyright Frans Meijer, but may be cop...
Sep 09, 2020 · If you are browsing Commons for the first time, you may want to start with Featured pictures, Quality images, Valued images or Featured media. You can also see some work created by our highly skilled contributors in Meet our photographers and Meet our illustrators.
stock.adobe.com has been visited by 1M+ users in the past month