Most major American cities enjoy mild weather during October. Daytime high temperatures are typically 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (16 to 27 degrees Celsius) and the nights always average above freezing.
The Average High-Temperature Map of the US In October is typically 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (16 to 27 degrees Celsius) and the nights always average above freezing. This ranked in the lowest third of the 125-year period of record and was the coolest October since 2009.
- October Highlights
- Year-To-Date Highlights
- Regional Highlights
1. For October, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 52.3°F, 1.8°F below the 20thcentury average. This ranked in the lowest third of the 125-year period of record and was the coolest October since 2009. 2. October was an active weather month across the contiguous U.S. as the transition from summer to fall was evident. The month began with a trough in the West and a ridge over the eastern U.S. This pattern brought cold conditions to the northern Rockies and Plains and record warm temper...
1. The October precipitation total for the contiguous U.S. was 3.14 inches, 0.98 inch above average, and ranked as the eighth wettest October in the 125-year period of record. 2. The trough at the beginning of the month across the West as well as the ridge-trough-ridge pattern in place across the contiguous U.S. near the end of October enhanced precipitation along the northern and central Rockies, Plains, Midwest, as well as the Mississippi Valley to the Great Lakes. 3. Above- to much-above a...
Other Notable Weather
1. Subtropical Storm Melissa formed from a slow-moving East Coast nor’easter on October 11 with sustained winds of 65 mph. Impacts from Melissa included coastal flooding from Virginia to New York. Less than a week later, a mid-latitude cyclone, moving across the central and eastern United States, developed into a “Bomb Cyclone” (a storm whose central pressure drops by at least 24 millibars in 24 hours or less). This storm packed wind gusts up to 90 mphin southern New England on October 17 and...
1. For the year-to-date, the contiguous U.S. temperature was 55.5°F, 0.5°F above average, and ranked in the warmest third of the January–October record. 2. Above- to much-above-average year-to-date temperatures were observed from California to the southern Plains and from the Southeast to New England. Record warm temperatures were scattered throughout much of the Southeast and mid-Atlantic states. Thirteen stateshad a top 10 warm year-to-date period with Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Nort...
1. For the year-to-date, the national precipitation total was 30.25 inches, 4.89 inches above average, the wettest January-October on record. 2. Above-average January–October precipitation dominated much of the country with record wet statewide ranksoccurring in South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. Below-average precipitation fell across the Pacific Northwest, parts of the Southwest and Southeast. 3. The 12-month average precipitation across the contiguous U.S. for Nove...
1. The USCEIfor the year-to-date was 69 percent above average and ranked eighth highest in the 110-year period of record. Extremes in warm minimum temperatures, wet PDSI, and days with precipitation were the primary contributors to this elevated value.
These regional summaries were provided by the six Regional Climate Centers and reflect conditions in their respective regions. These six regions differ spatially from the nine climatic regions of the National Centers for Environmental Information.
Sep 30, 2021 · Crisp temperatures become more common across the northern tier of the U.S. in October, with average highs in the 50s and 60s. Warmer than average temperatures there suggest that a milder month may ...
Sea ice surface temperatures from helicopter-borne thermal infrared imaging during the MOSAiC expedition - Scientific Data
Based on the corrected images, gridded data are provided as temperature maps which result from the whole set of images in one flight as an advanced dataset. The minimum < ...
4 hours ago
IndyStar | The Indianapolis Star via Yahoo
Average AES Indiana customer could see nearly 19% price hike if rate change goes through
Commission. This would result in an increase of $24.39 on a utility bill, or 18.9%, for an average residential customer using 1,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month. Based on ...
1 day ago
In Washington, D.C. during October average daily high temperatures decrease from 73°F to 63°F and it is overcast or mostly cloudy about 38% of the time. Weather Spark Map
October temperatures: daily averages; High °F Low °F Place High °C Low °C; 58: 37: Alpena: 14: 3: 56: 37: Cadillac: 14: 3: 56: 39: Cheboygan: 14: 4: 59: 38: East Tawas: 15: 3: 56: 43: Frankfort: 13: 6: 54: 35: Gaylord: 12: 2: 54: 39: Harrisville: 12: 4: 57: 36: Houghton Lake: 14: 2: 57: 40: Ludington: 14: 4: 56: 41: Petoskey: 13: 5: 55: 42: St James, Beaver Island: 13: 6: 59: 41: Traverse City 15: 5