8.7. Rate. 84 Metascore. A criminal pleads insanity and is admitted to a mental institution, where he rebels against the oppressive nurse and rallies up the scared patients. Director: Milos Forman | Stars: Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Michael Berryman, Peter Brocco. Votes: 986,981 | Gross: $112.00M.
200 titles. 1. Life of Brian (1979) R | 94 min | Comedy. 8. Rate. 77 Metascore. Born on the original Christmas in the stable next door to Jesus Christ, Brian of Nazareth spends his life being mistaken for a messiah. Director: Terry Jones | Stars: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam.
the conversation (1974) classic – drama – crime – mystery – thriller – espionage mystery thriller – freelance surveillance expert lonely man – privacy obsessive – past job guilty conscience – couple surveillance new case – forbidden extramarital affair – enigmatic conversation – crime noir conspiracy thriller – shadowy conspiracy – potential …
- The Godfather (1972) - Director: Francis Ford Coppola. - Stacker score: 100. - Metascore: 100. - IMDb user rating: 9.2. - Runtime: 175 minutes. The most popular film of the 1970s is also one of the greatest crime movies of all time.
- The Conformist (1970) - Director: Bernardo Bertolucci. - Stacker score: 93.8. - Metascore: 100. - IMDb user rating: 8.0. - Runtime: 113 minutes. Legendary filmmakers like Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, and the Coen Brothers frequently cite Bernardo Bertolucci’s “The Conformist” as having a significant impact on their own work, thanks to its distinctive techniques, arresting visuals, and unique storytelling methods.
- The Godfather: Part II (1974) - Director: Francis Ford Coppola. - Stacker score: 93.8. - Metascore: 90. - IMDb user rating: 9.0. - Runtime: 202 minutes. The mafia sequel based on Mario Puzo's book went back in time to show a younger Don Vito Corleone—with Robert De Niro playing the role Marlon Brando made famous—back in Italy, while his son Michael (Al Pacino) tightened his grip on his family in the present.
- Apocalypse Now (1979) - Director: Francis Ford Coppola. - Stacker score: 92.7. - Metascore: 94. - IMDb user rating: 8.4. - Runtime: 147 minutes. In the 1970s, it appeared that Francis Ford Coppola could do no wrong—“Apocalypse Now” is another example of that.
The Best Sci-Fi Movies on HBO Max
HBO Max pretty much offers the biggest and best trove of sci-fi movies you can find on streaming.
7 hours ago
- Marc Chacksfield
- The Godfather Part II (1974) £8.59. View now at Amazon. Whenever the argument arises over the inferiority of sequels, Francis Ford Coppola’s first follow-up to The Godfather is commonly used as a classic example that bucks the trend.
- Star Wars (1977) £40.98. View now at Amazon. After Jaws showcased just what mainstream audiences were looking for in the 70s, George Lucas took the idea of a blockbuster one step further.
- Alien (1979) £9.98. View at Amazon now. One of the last films of the decade was also one of the most important. Blending sci-fi and horror in a way that hadn’t been done before (at least not quite as successfully), Ridley Scott’s terrifying thriller kicked off a franchise that’s still going today - a sequel to 2017’s Alien: Covenant is currently in the works.
- Jaws (1975) £5.61. View now at Amazon. While Star Wars is often seen as the film which invented the summer blockbuster, it was actually Steven Spielberg’s terrifying tale of shark v man which changed how Hollywood viewed the warmer months.
Jun 17, 2022 · Last House on the Left (1972)62%. #140. Critics Consensus: Its visceral brutality is more repulsive than engrossing, but The Last House on the Left nevertheless introduces director Wes Craven as a distinctive voice in horror. Synopsis: Teenagers Mari (Sandra Cassel) and Phyllis (Lucy Grantham) head to the city for a concert, then afterward go ...
People also ask
Were the 70's the best decade for film?
What was the 70's best known for?
Was the '70s the worst decade ever?
What was popular in the 70s?