People also ask
What is best new wave songs ever?
What is considered new wave music?
What was the new wave in the 1980s?
What is nu wave music?
Dec 01, 2009 · Top 50 New Wave Songs Of All Time (as decided on by WFDU listeners): 1. Joy Division - Love Will tear Us Apart 2. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Christine 3. The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out 4. Ultravox - Vienna 5. Romeo Void - Never Say Never 6. The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again 7. ...
- Carrie Brownstein
- 4 min
(Note- These songs are not necessarily the artists all-time greatest, but their best of the 'New Wave' sound.) Criteria: These songs were chosen for their musical quality, originality, and popularity in the "New Wave" era of approx. 1978 to 1987.
- “The Big Country”—Talking Heads. Beginning with a mournful country twang, the song rings of coastal snobbery, but I can’t say I haven’t felt this. David Byrne is a plane flying cross-country noting “a baseball diamond, nice weather down there, places to park,” and decides, “I wouldn’t do the things the way those people do/I wouldn’t live there if you paid me.”
- “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight”—The Cars. “Just What I Needed” put the Boston quintet on the map—Roxy-ish, synth-and-guitar driven power-pop—but “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight” is the pick.
- “Just Can’t Get Enough”—Depeche Mode. Before singer Dave Gahan joined and Depeche Mode embraced a darker, more art-rock side, singer-songwriter Vince Clarke penned this almost absurdly buoyant hit about nothing so much as the joy of being alive and experiencing all life had to offer.
- “Tank”—The Stranglers. Margaret Thatcher was a year away from power and Ronald Reagan two years, but tension was in the air and the sabers were rattling.
Aug 22, 2018 · New wave: A guide to the best albums Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (EMI, 1999). Originally released in 1984, it’s the expanded edition of this live... New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies (Factory, 1983). No matter how dancey they got, fans of New Order ’s rockier side... The Jam - Sound Affects ...
Jun 30, 2020 · The Best '80s New Wave Songs 1 376 120 Valdave added Just like Heaven The Cure 2 404 138 Valdave added Don't You ( Forget About Me ) Simple Minds 3 375 123 Bizarre Love Triangle New Order More Bizarre Love Triangle #2941 of 3,866 The Best Songs Of All Time, Ranked... 4 382 127 I Melt With You Modern ...
- Missing Persons, “Words” Why #1? Because Missing Persons, along with maybe A Flock of Seagulls, just personifynew wave. The hair, the sci-fi fashion, the angular, hiccupy-ness of it all.
- Duran Duran, “Planet Earth” They often spoke of how their goal was to fuse the Sex Pistols with Chic, and here’s the closest they got. New Romanticism in full effect, all frilly pirate shirts, sash belts, and gelled hair, Duran Duran were the faves of the super hip kids.
- Gary Numan, “Cars” New wave that even rockers could like. Gary Numan’s “Cars” sat comfortably on radio playlists right next to Queen and Boston and nobody blinked an eye.
- Kim Wilde, “Kids In America” Ah, the song that sparked this list. New wave, while not exclusively white, was very suburban. It mostly dealt with very suburban issues (Love!
Apr 14, 2013 · Songs that are borderline new wave, and might be better described as goth or ska-revival or pub rock or post-punk or mod-revival or college rock, had virtually no chance of making the top 10, but the term new wave was inclusive enough that many of those songs made the top 100, or at least the top 250.
Fans have turned on Lana Del Rey. Here's a complete timeline of how the singer ruined her own reputation.
It all started in May when Del Rey posted an unprompted public statement about her own reputation for "glamorizing abuse." Months later, Del Rey was criticized for wearing a seemingly ineffective ...
INSIDER via Yahoo News
3 days ago
SXSW Online Unveils First Wave Of Programming Including Willie Nelson, Samantha Bee, Barry Jenkins, Cynthia Erivo And More
SXSW Online, which takes place March 16-20, has unveiled its initial wave of Featured Speakers and over 230 conference sessions and this includes music legend Willie Nelson ...
Deadline via Yahoo News
5 days ago
Two Hearts Beat as One / New Year's Day (1983) [Single] 140: 140. The Cure Just Like Heaven / Snow in Summer (1987) [Single] 139: 139. Bangles Manic Monday (1986) [Single] 138: 138. Saga Worlds Apart (1981) On The Loose/Wind Him Up: On The Loose/Wind Him Up: 137: 137. Erasure Sometimes / Sexuality / Say What (1986) [Single] 136: 136. Leisure Process Cashflow (1983) [Single] 135: 135.