Dec 01, 2020 · The efforts of the town have created job opportunities and training for those looking to build a more sustainable community. Here are the 25 most popular small towns to live in the U.S.: Westlake, Florida. Vineyard, Utah.
- Devon Thorsby
- Traverse City, Michigan. A hub for lovers of wine, beer, spirits—and cherries. Population: 15,000. Though the biggest town in Northern Michigan, Traverse City has a population of only about 15,000.
- Jacksonville, Oregon. A Gold Rush town that is home to the Britt Music & Arts Festival. Population: 2,898. Founded in the 1850s when gold deposits were discovered in the Jackson Creek, this town fell on hard times when the treasure ran out.
- Dahlonega, Georgia. Step back into the Gold Rush era. Population: 6,437. Though on the opposite side of the country, Dahlonega has a lot in common with Jacksonville, Oregon.
- Taos, New Mexico. Home to art colonies and incredible landscapes. Population: 5,763. Known for its pueblo houses, Taos has long drawn artistic types to its rugged setting, including influential abstract painter Agnes Martin.
Midwest ranks at the top. Eight out of the top 10 cities in this study are located in Midwestern states, with two in Missouri, two in Wisconsin, two in Indiana and two in Iowa. All eight of these c...Unemployment tracks nationally.In December 2020, the national unemployment rate was 6.7%. That’s the exact same as the average unemployment rate in the small cities we analyzed for this survey, so...
- Key Findings
- Data and Methodology
- Tips For Managing Your Finances No Matter Where You Live
To find the most livable small cities in America, SmartAsset compared 287 cities with at least 65,000 people but fewer than 100,000 across the following 10 metrics: 1. Concentration of entertainment establishments.This is the number of arts, entertainment and recreation establishments as a percentage of all establishments in a county. Data comes from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2018 County Business Patterns Survey. 2. Concentration of bars.This is the number of bars as a percentage of all establishments in a county. Data comes from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2018 County Business Patterns Survey. 3. Concentration of restaurants.This is the number of restaurants as a percentage of all establishments in a county. Data comes from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2018 County Business Patterns Survey. 4. Concentration of healthcare establishments.This is the number of healthcare and social assistance establishments as a percentage of all establishments in a county. Data comes from the U.S. Census Bure...Professional advice can help you make the right moves. Interested in moving to one of these cities? A financial advisor can help you create a financial plan to reach your goals. SmartAsset’s free t...Forecast your mortgage costs. Buying a home is a serious proposition, and you need to make sure you are prepared. Use SmartAsset’s free mortgage calculatorto see what your monthly payments could en...Get a snapshot of your retirement timeline. For some people, work demands mean being in a big city for most of their career. In retirement, though, you may want to live a slower-paced life in a sma...
Sep 29, 2021 · There's some of the best fly fishing in the world, most notably in the Paradise Valley region down the road (on the way you’ll pass Livingston, an extra-cool small town and old Bourdain favorite).
- Thrillist Travel
People also ask
What are the best small towns to live in the US?
What are the best small cities?
What is the best small town for retirement?
What is it like to live in small town?
- New Ulm, MN. Median listing price: $139,900. This little town on the prairie was founded by German immigrants in the mid-19th century, and those roots are still very much apparent today.
- Lexington, NE. Median listing price: $145,000. Lexington is basically a paradise for lovers of the great outdoors. It’s just 9 miles northeast of Johnson Lake, a large body of water that is a destination stop for boating, fishing, water sports, hiking, and cycling.
- Houghton, MI. Median listing price: $149,500. Way up in the “UP” (Upper Peninsula in Michigander speak) on the Keweenaw Peninsula, Houghton is considered a four-season destination for tourists—but locals don’t need to take time off to enjoy its attractions.
- Spencer, IA. Median listing price: $92,500. Historic architecture is one of Spencer’s key selling points: Its adorable downtown boasts one of the largest collections of 1930s art deco architecture in the entire Midwest.
Jul 13, 2020 · When a small town has a high quality of life and a good economy, it often begins to draw new residents. Small cities allow you to escape the crowds and traffic of large metro areas but still ...