The Black Hours of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, M 1856 is an illuminated book of hours, now in the Austrian National Library in Vienna (Codex Vindobo 1856). The book used to be the property of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, the fifth Duke of Milan. It was produced in Bruges, Flanders, probably between 1466 and 1477.
Black Prayer Book of Galeazzo Maria Sforza Bruges (Belgium) — 1466-1476 This codex belongs to a small group of exceptional manuscripts from the 15th century: the Black Hours As a result, the text had to be written in gold and silver ink and the miniatures rendered in bright pastels
The Black Hours of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, M 1856 is an illuminated book of hours, now in the Austrian National Library in Vienna.The book used to be the property of the fifth Duke of Milan, it was produced in Bruges, Flanders between 1466 and 1477.
Black Hours of Galeazzo Maria Sforza (Sforza Black Hours), attributed to Master of Anthony of Burgundy, Belgium ca. 1466-1476 via Austrian National Library on Wikimedia Commons.
Galeazzo's daugther Bianca Maria Sforza and her husband Emperor Maximilian I. (reigned 1486-1519) Short description The famous Codex 1856 of the Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek, the so-called Vienna Black Prayer Book, belongs to a small group of exceptional manuscripts from the 15th century: the black hours.
The original patron of this particular Black Book of Hours was Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (1433-1477). After Charles’s death at the battle of Nancy the book passed to Galeazzo Maria Sforza, but how it got there is unclear.
The Black Prayer Book, also known as the Prayer Book of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, is one of the richest and most sumptuous examples of its kind. Dated to the third quarter of the 15th century, it was produced in the artistic landscape of Bruges, in the Flanders region. With its 15 full-page miniatures, 24 small-format miniatures and 71 border vignettes,...
The black manuscripts date from about 1455–80 and include the "Black Hours, Hispanic Society, New York" (c. 1458), "Black Hours of Galeazzo Maria Sforza" (c. 1466–67) and the "Hours of Mary of Burgundy" (c. 1477).
The Black Hours, MS M.493 (or the Morgan Black Hours) is an illuminated book of hours completed in Bruges between 1460 and 1475. It consists of 121 leaves, with Latin text written in Gothic minuscule script. The words are arranged in rows of fourteen lines, and follow the Roman version of the texts.