People also ask
What are traditional Chinese wedding gifts?
What is an appropriate gift for a Chinese wedding?
What are some traditional Chinese gifts?
What are traditional annual wedding gifts?
That said, traditional Chinese wedding gifts such as red envelopes and gold jewelry a re still usually the first choice of gifts. The Red Envelope Wedding Gift Tradition. Traditionally, guests will give red envelopes with money inside to the couple as wedding gifts. The red envelope is called “红包“, “hong bao” or ”利是“, “li shi”, in Chinese, which represents “good fortune”.
Jul 17, 2019 · Red Envelopes: The Standard Gift . Picking out a gift for a Chinese wedding is usually pretty simple. That's because, in lieu of gifts, Chinese wedding guests typically give a red envelope called hóngbāo (紅包). If you go to a wedding, the money in the red envelope should have a value equivalent to a nice gift that would be given at a Western wedding.
- Lauren Mack
- The Betrothal. Known as the Guo Da Li, before the wedding ceremony the groom will present betrothal gifts (gold jewelry, dragon and phoenix wax candles, tea leaves and sesame seeds, wine or brandy, etc.)
- Choosing the Wedding Date. The date of the wedding ceremony isn’t chosen by chance. “Many couples consult with a fortune teller, Chinese monk, or Feng Shui master to choose an auspicious date to bring success to their marriage,” shares Froelich.
- The Invitation. The Chinese wedding invitation is typically red with gold lettering and bears the Double Happiness symbol. Inside, it’ll include dates for the wedding banquet, order of birth, and names of the bride, groom, and respective parents.
- Preparing the Marriage Bed. The An Chuang usually takes place on an auspicious day and time, two to three days before the wedding. “This tradition is carried out by a female relative of good fortune—one with parents, husband, children, and grandchildren—where the bed will be dressed in new red color beddings and pillows with a mix of dried fruits and nuts such as longans, persimmons, and red dates,” explains Yu.
- Senior Editor, Weddings
- Double Happiness Symbol. Pronounced shuāngxǐ, the double happiness symbol is one of the most recognizable icons incorporated in Chinese weddings. "The Double Happiness character is very aptly named—it's made of two connected copies of the character xi, which means 'happiness.'
- Auspicious Colors. Red and gold are the two colors most frequently used in color palettes for Chinese weddings. "Across all of Chinese tradition, red is by far and large the most popular color at all major celebrations, including weddings," explains Valente.
- Gate Crashing and Door Games. "The beginning of the wedding ceremony often begins first with collecting the bride. The groom and his groomsmen will travel to the bride's house, where sometimes a tea ceremony is performed in order to pay homage to the bride's family, before everyone heads over to the groom's family's house for their own tea ceremony," explains Valente.
- Tea Ceremony. "The tea ceremony is one of the biggest components in a traditional Chinese wedding," explains Bishop. "Once this is done, it is a sign of marriage in the eyes of Chinese tradition.