1-60 Films seen which are set wholly or mostly during the civil war. 61-118 Films seen which are completely set within the civil war era. These may be partially set during the civil war itself, include solid references to the war or have major characters who are veterans of the war.
- Glory. One of the most popular and critically acclaimed Civil War films ever made, "Glory" is the stirring account of the 54th Regiment of the Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, the second African-American unit assembled during the Civil War.
- Gettysburg. Based on one of the most popular war novels ever written—"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara—"Gettysburg" tells the story of how the famous 1863 battle helped the Union push back Robert E. Lee's army.
- Gone With the Wind. The classic, Oscar-winning film uses the Civil War as a backdrop to tell the tale of a strong-willed Southern woman. "Gone With the Wind" does a good job of depicting the South's point of view without moralizing.
- North and South. This made-for-TV mini-series is an excellent exploration of one of the most important periods of American history. The story—based on the popular historical novels by John Jakes—offers a well-balanced look at a very dark period by portraying good and bad people on both sides.
Civil War Movies and TV Shows. ... In the waning days of the American Civil War, a wounded soldier embarks on a perilous journey back home to Cold Mountain, North ...
Mar 23, 2021 · All films are set in and around the Civil War or have a healthy dose of Civil War flashbacks that play a major role. To qualify, the film had to have at least 500 votes. All data is accurate as of ...
Jan 11, 2021 · A list of the best films about the US Civil War. The Civil War remains the bloodiest war in American history, resulting in the loss of 620,000 soldiers and many many more civilian casualties. Naturally, the conflict - which still echoes in contemporary US culture and politics - has provided source...
- Glory (1989) Robert Gould Shaw commanded the 54 Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry into only one full-fledged battle before he lost his life (and the 54 lost over half their numbers).
- Gone with the Wind (1939) The most famous film about the Civil War, Gone with the Wind also represents why there are so few quality ones being made. But whatever reservations I have about Gone with the Wind’s politics, there is no ignoring that it is a masterpiece of cinema.
- Ride with the Devil (1999) In what I consider to be the most underrated film on this list, and certainly its director’s most overlooked picture, Ang Lee studied an American conflict from an outsider’s perspective for Ride with the Devil.
- Gettysburg (1993) Long before the sleep-inducing, Stonewall Jackson-worshipping Gods & Generals, Ronald F. Maxwell had much better success at recreating a Civil War saga with Gettysburg, an epic version of the battle that turned the tides of the Civil War.
People also ask
What are the best civil war movies?
What are the best war movies of all time?
Is 'Civil War' the last 'Captain America' movie?
Pages in category "American Civil War films" The following 198 pages are in this category, out of 198 total. This list may not reflect recent changes ().
Oct 03, 2019 · Alvarez Kelly is a 1966 war film set in the American Civil War starring William Holden and Richard Widmark. The film was based on the historic Beefsteak Raid of September 1864 led by Confederate... more 21 5
- Lincoln (2012) The 16th president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln didn’t become the best president the free world has seen till date without any reason.
- Glory (1989) Robert Shaw is a Civil War Union soldier who had to leave army because of his injuries. Upon returning home, he is given a choice: to retire with honour or lead the first all-black battalion of the Union army.
- Gettysburg (1993) Based upon the novel ‘The Killer Angels’ this movie is a four and a half hour long portrayal of the prime moment in the Civil war: the battle of Gettysburg.
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) A classic western starring Clint Eastwood, this movie tells the story of a bandit trio operating in the middle of the Civil War.
- related to: civil war movies
chilimovie.com has been visited by 100K+ users in the past month
yesflicks.com has been visited by 100K+ users in the past month