Cumberland County is a county in the State of New South Wales, Australia.Most of the Sydney metropolitan area is located within the County of Cumberland.. The County of Cumberland stretches from Broken Bay to the north, the Hawkesbury River to the north-west, the Nepean River to the west, the Cataract River to the south-west and the northern suburbs of Wollongong to the south.
The Cumberland City Council (known as Cumberland Council until January 2020) is a local government area located in the western suburbs of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The Council was formed on 12 May 2016 from the merger of parts of the Cities of Auburn, Parramatta (Woodville Ward), and Holroyd.
People also ask
Where is the county of Cumberland in NSW?
When was Cumberland County Council abolished in Australia?
How are the counties of New South Wales different?
What was the county of Cumberland in the 12th century?
Cumberland County adalah sebuah county di negara bagian New South Wales, Australia.Sebagian besar wilayah metropolitan Sydney berada di dalam Cumberland County.. Cumberland County membentang dari Broken Bay ke utara, Hawkesbury River ke baratlaut, Nepean River ke barat, Cataract River ke baratdaya dan pinggiran utara Wollongong ke selatan.
- 4 Juni 1788
The name Cumberland was conferred by Governor Phillip in honour of Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, later King of Hanover, at a gathering to celebrate the birthday of his father, King George III, on 4 June 1788. The county has been marked on maps since the start of the colony, as shown along the key on a 1789 map describing Port Jackson as being within the county of Cumberland. In the nineteenth century, parts of the county were in the South and North Riding electoral districts from 1856 to 1859, which were replaced by Central Cumberland. There was also the Cumberland Boroughselectoral district.
New South Wales is divided up into 141 counties, for the purposes of surveying and the registration of land titles. Few Australian counties have ever had any government or administrative function. However, the County of Cumberland did have a county government, the Cumberland County Council, from 1945 to 1964. Its responsibilities were primarily limited to town planning on the metropolitan scale. The Cumberland County Council was not elected by the people, but rather was elected by councillors of the various local governmentswithin the County. In 1951 the Council ratified the Cumberland County Council Planning Scheme which boldly reformed town planning throughout metropolitan Sydney. Though not all of the plan was implemented, much of it was, radically altering the urban form of Sydney and its suburbs. The objectives of the County Council were often in conflict with the aims of many State Government departments. For instance, the County Council's plans called for a green belt to enci...
There were thirteen hundreds in Cumberland County, which were published in a government gazette on 27 May 1835, but repealed on 21 January 1888. Unlike South Australia, the hundreds were never adopted anywhere else in New South Wales. The hundreds: 1. Bringelly 2. Campbelltown 3. Dundas 4. Evan 5. Hardinge 6. Liverpool 7. Packenham 8. Parramatta 9. Richmond 10. Southend 11. Hundred of Sydney 12. Windsor 13. Woronora (shown as Heathcote on some maps)
In 1835, Cumberland County was subdivided into 57 parishes. Previously, the subdivisions of the area since the beginning of the colony were called districts. Many of the parishes founded in 1835 kept the name of the district. Others were named after Anglican churches in the same area. This included three of the four small parishes in the Sydney city area; St Philip (named after St.Philip's), St James (named after St. James, and which is still the region name today), St Andrew (named after St. Andrew's). However St Lawrence parish gave its name to the church, rather than the other way around. Further out of the city, the parishes of St John, St Luke, St Peter and St Matthew, in the Parramatta, Liverpool, Campbelltown and Windsor areas respectively, have Anglican churches which bear the same saints names; St John's in Parramatta (opened 1803); St.Luke's in Liverpool (building began 1818); St.Peter's in Campbelltown (opened 1823, the third oldest Anglican church in Australia); and St....
The first subdivisions of the county were called districts, shown in early maps from the period, such as 21 districts on an 1810 map and 37 districts on an 1824 map (not including Philip which was across the Nepean Riverand not part of the county). The districts in use in 1824: 1. Airds 2. Appin 3. Bankstown 4. Bathurst 5. Botany Bay 6. Bringelly 7. Bullanaming 8. Cambramatta 9. Castle Hill 10. Castlereagh 11. Concord 12. Cooke 13. Dundas 14. Eastern Plains 15. Evan District 16. Fields of Mars 17. Green Hills 18. Holsworth 19. Hunter's Hill 20. Illawarra 21. Liberty Plains 22. Mecham 23. Melville 24. Meyrick 25. Minto 26. Nelson 27. Northern Boundary 28. Oxley 29. Parramatta 30. Petersham 31. Ponds 32. Prospect 33. Richmond 34. Sydney 35. Tongabee 36. Upper Minto 37. Upper Nelson
- Early history
- Local government from the 19th century
Cumberland is a historic county of North West England that had an administrative function from the 12th century until 1974. It is bordered by the historic counties of Northumberland to the northeast, County Durham to the east, Westmorland to the southeast, Lancashire to the south, and the Scottish counties of Dumfriesshire and Roxburghshire to the north. It formed an administrative county from 1889 to 1974 and now forms part of Cumbria.
In the Early Middle Ages, Cumbria was part of the Kingdom of Strathclyde in the Hen Ogledd, or "Old North", and its people spoke a Brittonic language now called Cumbric. The first record of the term 'Cumberland' appears in 945 CE, when the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle recorded that the area was ceded to Malcolm I, king of Alba, by King Edmund I of England. As with 'Cymru', the native Welsh name for Wales, the names 'Cumberland' and 'Cumbria' are derived from kombroges in Common Brittonic, which origina
The boundaries formed in the 12th century have not change substantially over the county's existence. There are four English historic counties and two Scottish counties that it borders: Northumberland and County Durham to the east; Westmorland to the south, the Furness part of Lancashire to the southwest; Dumfriesshire to the north and Roxburghshire to the northeast. To the west the county is bounded by the Solway Firth and the Irish Sea. The northern boundary was formed by the Solway Estuary and
During the 19th century a series of reforms reshaped the local government of the county, creating a system of districts with directly elected councils.
The name continues in use as a geographical and cultural term, and it survives in Cumberland sausages; HMS Cumberland; the Cumberland Fell Runners Club; the Cumberland Athletics Club; and various organisations and companies, such as the local newspapers The Cumberland News, and The West Cumberland Times and Star, and the Cumberland Building Society. It is also mentioned in Macbeth as the kingdom given to Prince Malcolm. In June 1994, during the 1990s UK local government reform, the Local Governm
Cumberland County Council. The State of New South Wales is divided up into 141 counties, for the purposes of surveying and the registration of land titles. Few Australian counties have ever had any government or administrative function. However, the County of Cumberland did have a county government, the Cumberland County Council, from 1945 to 1964.