Lungsod ang Dalton-in-Furness sa Hiniusang Gingharian. Nahimutang ni sa kondado sa Cumbria ug apil sa nasod sa Inglatera, sa sentro nga bahin sa nasod, 400 km sa amihanan-kasadpan sa London ang ulohan sa nasod. 78 metros ibabaw sa dagat kahaboga ang nahimutangan sa Dalton-in-Furness, ug adunay 8,236 ka molupyo.
People also ask
Where is the ancient town of Dalton in Furness?
Who are some famous people from Dalton in Furness?
Where is St Mary's Church Dalton in Furness?
What kind of cricket does Dalton in Furness play?
- External features
St Mary's Church is in the town of Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Furness, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice has been combined with that of St Peter, Ireleth-with-Askam. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building. It stands in an elevated position near Dalton Castle.
The earliest evidence of a church on the site is in 1138. The present church was built in 1884–85 to a design by the Lancaster partnership of Paley and Austin. It cost £11,550. Half of this was donated by benefactors, namely the Duke of Devonshire who gave £2,500, and the Duke of Buccleuch, the industrialist Henry Schneider, and the Barrow Hematite Steel Company who each gave £1,000. The church provided seating for about 700 people, replacing an earlier church built on the site in 1825 ...
The church is constructed in snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings and green slate roofs. Its plan consists of a six-bay nave, north and south aisles under separate roofs, north and south porches, a two-bay chancel with a north vestry and a south chapel, and a west tower ab
The arcades are supported by octagonal piers. At the east end of the north aisle is a flying buttress. Most of the furnishings were designed by the architects. The reredos has alabaster panels surrounded by sandstone. The baptismal font dates from the medieval period. It is octag
In the churchyard is a slate graveslab standing on a limestone plinth to the memory of the artist George Romney, who was born in the village and died in 1802. It has been designated as a Grade II listed building.
Barrow is located on the tip of the peninsula and Walney Island, and the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness, which includes the small town of Dalton-in-Furness and the town of Millom (the latter of which, although statistically in "Furness" for this purpose, is not actually part of the defined geographic area known as Furness) has a population of 69,100.
The parish includes the town of Dalton-in-Furness and the hamlet of Newton. In 2018 it had an estimated population of 7807. The parish touches Aldingham, Askam and Ireleth, Lindal and Marton and Urswick. Features. There are 70 listed buildings in Dalton Town with Newton. History
- 8.74 km² (3.37 sq mi)
- 7,807 (2018 estimate)
- Dalton Town with Newton
Dalton-in-Furness är en stad i Cumbria i England.  Orten har 8 057 invånare (2001).  Staden nämndes i Domedagsboken (Domesday Book) år 1086, och kallades då Daltune.  Referenser ”DALTON FURNESS”. GENUKI. http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/maplink?CCC=LAN,GR=SD227737,PLACE=DALTON%20FURNESS
- Locomotive Superintendents
- Line Details
- Barrow Docks
- See Also
- Further Reading
- External Links
In the early 1840s, the owners of iron ore mines in the Furness district of Lancashire became interested in a waggonway from their mines to Barrow; the project was adopted and expanded by the Duke of Buccleuch and the Earl of Burlington. Advertisements in 1843 announced a scheme, supported by their Lordships, for a Furness Railway to link Ulverston 'the capital of the district', iron ore mines (at Dalton-in-Furness) and slate mines (at Kirkby-in-Furness) with the coast at Barrow harbour and a...
The Kirkby branch was extended to Broughton, passing inspection for passenger traffic at the end of February 1848; when a Broughton to Barrow train was derailed by mis-set points in July 1849, it was noted that "nearly all the gates and points on the Furness line are attended by women" and that a woman had the management of the points which had been mis-set. The Dalton branch was extended to Lindal (goods traffic running from mines there from early May 1851) and then on to Ulverston , eight w...
Development of Barrow...
The Furness Railway's prosperity came originally from the export of haematite ore, but the growth of heavy industry at Barrow became a significant contributor. In 1867, The Engineerexplained why the demand for Furness haematite had formerly been limited: "The ironstone mines there had been worked for some considerable time, and the ore was carried by rail and by sea to the coal districts of Lancashire, to the Staffordshire blast furnaces, and to Wales. The mining operations were, of course, v...
The first locomotive superintendent, recruited from Bury, Curtis and Kennedy in 1846, was later to be knighted as Sir James Ramsden, a leading civic figure and first Mayor of Barrow. No locomotives were actually built in the local works itself: they were generally standard designs, purchased from other manufacturers. By 1921, fifteen different works were represented. However, W. F. Pettigrew, who had taken over operations in 1896, was to introduce some measure of standardisation. There were also carriage and wagon-building shops, and repairs and maintenance was carried out on the equipment of Barrow Docks.Viaducts: The line crosses several major estuaries - the rivers Kent and Leven being among them - over substantial viaducts.Tunnel: the Bransty Tunnelin Whitehaven is 1,333 yards (1,219 m) in lengthTotal mileage (lines owned or worked) (1912): 190.25 miles (306.18 km).
Details given are those shown for 1912: 1. Total area of water: 278 acres (113 ha) 2. Four docks: Devonshire; Buccleuch; Ramsden; and Cavendish. There was also a Timber Dock. 3. Length of quays 2.25 miles (3.62 km) 4. Messrs Vickers built major ships for the Royal Navyhere 5. There was also a deep water berth in WalneyChannel
Barrow-Fleetwood service - four paddle steamers; lake steamers - two on Coniston Water; six on Windermere; three Barrow steam tugsRailway Year Book. Railway Publishing Company. 1912.Andrews, Michael (2012). The Furness Railway. Barrai Books, Barrow. ISBN 978-0-9569709-0-9.Battye, Rock (1996). Furness Railway 150. Cumbrian Railways Association. ISBN 978-0-9519201-2-1.Conolly, W. Philip (1997). British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer (Fifth ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan. pp. 24, 26. ISBN 0-7110-0320-3.
The ancient town of Dalton-in-Furness lies in a narrow valley on that part of Furness which extends deep into Morecambe Bay. Once this was the leading town of Furness, and was an important centre for administration and justice. The 14th-century pele tower, now known as Dalton Castle, stands almost hidden by surrounding buildings.