People also ask
Who were top female groups of the 90s?
Who are the top 5 female singers?
Who is the Best Female Singer of all time?
Who are the most iconic musical acts of the 90s?
- The Cardigans. The Cardigans are a shoe-in on the list if for no other reason than the fact that “Lovefool” is actually our favorite song, and it was featured in the soundtrack of our favorite movie, Baz Luhrman’s Romeo + Juliet.
- Garbage. We love Garbage lead singer Shirley Manson’s vocals which range from haunting, icy whispers to outright belts of rage.
- Hole. Duh! The queen of the ’90s alternative female badass bands is without a doubt Courtney Love and Hole.
- Portishead. Our impressionable ears perked up in the 90s when English trip hop group Portishead redefined musical borders and Beth Gibbons’ vocals and lyrics haunted our bedrooms.
- What's Going On, Linda Perry? Linda Perry is multitalented. She was the lead singer and main songwriter of 4 Non Blondes who are remembered for their smash hit "What's Up?"
- Sharleen Spiteri. Scottish singer Sharleen Spiteri became a household name in the U.K. after she became the lead singer of Texas. The band released their debut album, Southside, in 1989 but hit it big time during the late '90s with their hugely successful albums White On Blonde and The Hush.
- "Criminal" Star Fiona Apple. Before Jay-Z had a streaming service called Tidal, Fiona Apple had a 1996 debut album with the same name. The "Criminal" hitmaker has consistently released critically-acclaimed records that have inspired a whole generation.
- Liz Phair. American singer-songwriter Liz Phair is known for her honest and explicit lyrics. In 1993, she released her first album, Exile in Guyville, and has since dropped five more LPs.
Mar 15, 2021 · 10 essential alternative ’90s bands fronted by women you should know Garbage. Garbage are best known for their hit “Stupid Girl,” originally released on their debut. Shirley Manson led the... L7. L7 first came onto the scene in the mid-‘80s but truly burst into the spotlight once the new decade ...
- Björk. As the 80s came to a close, Björk's star was rising fast as a member of indie darlings The Sugarcubes. But, even then, no one could have predicted just how far that star would ascend.
- PJ Harvey. Her debut single ‘Dress' may have signalled the birth of a new English talent in 1991, but it was the ‘Sheela-Na-Gig' follow up early the following year that converted so many of us to this blazing presence named Polly Jean Harvey.
- Lauryn Hill. There's a reason Lauryn Hill is lauded by many contemporary artists as the Grand Dame of hip hop. Her success with the Fugees as well as her own sensational Miseducation… album, which blended soul and reggae with hip hop, had songs that spoke of womanhood, love, fame and spirituality with a tenderness and strength.
- Courtney Love. Uncompromising and unapologetic in every sense, Courtney Love is a woman who, for right or wrong, backed herself. These days she is demurely dressed, her makeup refined, a devoted mother to Frances Bean and well-regarded for her acting.
Nov 08, 2013 · Amy Steele’s Essential 90s Female-Fronted Alternative-Rock Bands A-Z. Belly. From: Boston, Mass. formed: 1991. The album: Star (1992) The single: “Dusted”. The Cardigans. From: Sweden. Formed: 1992.