The Best Female Indie Artists & Female-Fronted Bands
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- PJ Harvey
- St. Vincent
- Beach House
- Bikini Kill
- Phoebe Bridgers
People also ask
What are the best indie rock bands?
What does 'indie' as a music genre mean?
What are main characteristics of indie rock?
Can indie music artists really survive?
The Best Female Indie Artists & Female-Fronted Bands Yeah Yeah Yeahs Metric PJ Harvey St. Vincent Björk Beach House Bikini Kill Sleater-Kinney Phoebe Bridgers Mitski Warpaint Soccer Mommy Chvrches Courtney Barnett Liz Phair Le Tigre Angel Olsen Cocteau Twins Imogen Heap Clairo Tegan and Sara ...
Mary Lou Lord (born March 1, 1965 in Salem, Massachusetts) is an indie/folk rock musician, busker and recording artist. Mary Lou Lord first gained… Little Jinder
May 31, 2019 · But my passion for music, and especially indie artists not widely covered by the mainstream music media that seems to get more inane by the day, has won out. I want to keep listening, and writing ...
But today there seems to be a particularly strong crop of local, woman-fronted rock bands. Indie labels such as Lolipop, Burger, White Iris and others have spawned rising acts like Cherry Glazerr,...
- Art Tavana
- Ilana Kaplan
- Patti Smith. Punk poet Patti Smith needs no introduction. Her blending of rock and poetry on her 1975 debut album, Horses, made her an iconic figure in rock, particularly the NYC punk scene.
- Debbie Harry (Blondie) As the lead singer of Blondie, Debbie Harry become a punk icon in the New York City rock scene. Touting sexuality, style and spunk, she was also responsible for some of the most legendary hits of disco’s heyday, among them ‘Heart of Glass’ and ‘Rapture’.
- Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) From her start in Fleetwood Mac to her solo releases, Stevie Nicks has become rock royalty. Known for her mystical persona and concert storytelling, Nicks has been lauded as one of the most prolific singer-songwriters in history.
- Joan Jett (The Runaways, Joan Jett And The Blackhearts) Dubbed “The Queen Of Rock’n’Roll”, Joan Jett’s legacy stems from founding The Runaways with Lita Ford, Cherie Currie, Jackie Fox and Sandy West, and then her band Joan Jett And The Blackhearts.
This is a list of notable indie rock artists. Individual musicians are listed alphabetically by their last name. Individual musicians are listed alphabetically by their last name. This is a dynamic list and may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness.
- Alabama Shakes. The rock crew fronted by Brittany Howard has built an electric, festival-ready live show out of the soulful Americana featured on its first two albums.
- Blondie. Blondie not only scored a mountain of hit singles — “Call Me,” “Heart of Glass” and “Atomic” among them — but changed the way a female can be perceived in rock music.
- Gladys Knight & The Pips. Gladys Knight and her crew of male backup vocalists helped shape the sound of Motown in the 60’s and 70’s: “Midnight Train to Georgia” was a No. 1 hit and instant classic, but the soul act’s run extended long after that 1973 hit.
- The Carpenters. After beating artists like Elton John and the Partridge Family for the best new artist Grammy in 1971, the Carpenters -- brother Richard and sister Karen -- enjoyed a monumentally successfully run for the rest of the decade, behind Karen’s heavenly voice.
- Mélissa Laveaux. The Paris-based Canadian singer and songwriter has slowly but steadily carved her way in both the Canadian and French pop-folk scene since her first album, Camphor & Copper dropped in 2008.
- Anita Blay (fka CocknBullKid) British singer-songwriter Anita Blay first appeared on the pop scene in 2008 with her first single, “On My Own,” later dropping her mixtape, Adolescence, in 2010.
- Muhsinah. American pop-R&B singer Muhsinah got a Grammy nomination for "Daykeeper," her 2010 song with The Foreign Exchange. She released her first EP, Daybreak 2.0, in 2008, which generated interest from some famous rappers such as Common, with whom she worked on a track from his album Universal Mind Contro l, as well as other acts such as Flying Lotus.
- Tiaan. This LA-based, Australian singer makes pop-soul-electro music that's both dreamy and intimate. Tiian has mentioned that she was inspired by her musician dad, Doug Williams, as a child.
Feel-Good results for female indie rock artists
• artists (such as Creed and The Offspring) who were or are signed to indie label, but were never considered "indie rock" in the first place. • Most 1980's "college rock" and "post-punk" bands (REM, Hüsker Dü) • most, if not all, Britpop artists.