- Saikat Basu
- WikiTaxi (OS: Windows) All downloaded pages are stored in a WikiTaxi database. WikiTaxi uses compression to make sure that the database remains compact enough.
- Zipedia (OS:Windows) Zipedia is a Mozilla Add-on for Firefox enabling offline browsing. The Zipedia page describes it as the 'poor man's choice'. But when we don't have access to the real thing, then it's a worthy choice isn't it?
- Wikislice (OS: Windows) Wikislice is an application that allows the user to collate Wikipedia entries based on a particular topic or subtopic. Wikislice as the name suggests gives you a 'slice' of the information in a downloadable format for easy reading offline.
- Pocket Wikipedia (OS:Windows/ Linux and PocketPC) Pocket Wikipedia is a carefully compiled handpicked selection of Wikipedia information and comprises of nearly 24,000 images and 14 million words.
Mar 25, 2022 · Click the “Tools” menu and then click “Download Central.”. The Download Central page is a cinch to manipulate. Let’s discuss the basics and you’ll be downloading your own wikis in no time. Various Wikis can be downloaded from the Download Central page, including Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and Wikiquote, among others.
People also ask
How do I download the Wikipedia Library?
How to download and take wikipedia offline?
Is there a free version of Wikipedia?
How to download Wikipedia dump files without a wiki?
Step 4: Put It All Together, and Enjoy Wikipedia! Okay, so if you downloaded one of the .zip packages, you will of course have to open it up and “extract all files”. Then just open the folder you extracted and click on kiwix.exe. You should see Wikipedia’s title page.
Apr 23, 2013 · Again, if you have Windows and chose to install one of the portable pre-indexed ZIM files, you're good to go already. If not, you'll have to download the Wikipedia library you want. If you scroll down the help page in Kiwix, you can find the download links for the different libraries and languages that Wikipedia has to offer.
- Osas Obaiza
- Offline Wikipedia Readers
- Where Do I Get It?
- Should I Get Multistream?
- Where Are The uploaded Files (image, Audio, Video, etc.)?
- Dealing with Compressed Files
- Dealing with Large Files
- Why Not Just Retrieve Data from Wikipedia.Org at runtime?
- Database Schema
- Help to Parse Dumps For Use in Scripts
- Wikimedia Enterprise Html Dumps
Some of the many ways to read Wikipedia while offline: 1. XOWA: (§ XOWA) 2. Kiwix: (§ Kiwix) 3. WikiTaxi: § WikiTaxi (for Windows) 4. aarddict: § Aard Dictionary 5. BzReader: § BzReader and MzReader (for Windows) 6. Selected Wikipedia articles as a printed document: Help:Printing 7. Wiki as E-Book: § E-book 8. WikiFilter: § WikiFilter 9. Wikipedia ...
1. Dumps from any Wikimedia Foundation project: dumps.wikimedia.org and the Internet Archive 2. English Wikipedia dumps in SQL and XML: dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/ and the Internet Archive 2.1. Downloadthe data dump using a BitTorrent client (torrenting has many benefits and reduces server load, saving bandwidth costs). 2.2. pages-articles-multistream.xml.bz2 – Current revisions only, no talk or user pages; this is probably what you want, and is over 19 GB compressed (expands to over 86 GB wh...
TL;DR:GET THE MULTISTREAM VERSION! (and the corresponding index file, pages-articles-multistream-index.txt.bz2) pages-articles.xml.bz2 and pages-articles-multistream.xml.bz2 both contain the same xml contents. So if you unpack either, you get the same data. But with multistream, it is possible to get an article from the archive without unpacking th...
Images and other uploaded media are available from mirrors in addition to being served directly from Wikimedia servers. Bulk download is (as of September 2013) available from mirrors but not offered directly from Wikimedia servers. See the list of current mirrors. You should rsync from the mirror, then fill in the missing images from upload.wikimed...
Compressed dump files are significantly compressed, thus after being decompressed will take up large amounts of drive space. A large list of decompression programs are described in Comparison of file archivers. The following programs in particular can be used to decompress bzip2 .bz2 .zip and .7zfiles. Windows Beginning with Windows XP, a basic dec...
As files grow in size, so does the likelihood they will exceed some limit of a computing device. Each operating system, file system, hard storage device, and software (application) has a maximum file size limit. Each one of these will likely have a different maximum, and the lowest limit of all of them will become the file size limit for a storage ...
Suppose you are building a piece of software that at certain points displays information that came from Wikipedia. If you want your program to display the information in a different way than can be seen in the live version, you'll probably need the wikicode that is used to enter it, instead of the finished HTML. Also, if you want to get all the dat...
See also: mw:Manual:Database layout The sql file used to initialize a MediaWiki database can be found here.
The XML schema for each dump is defined at the top of the file. And also described in the MediaWiki export help page.Wikipedia:Computer help desk/ParseMediaWikiDump describes the PerlParse::MediaWikiDump library, which can parse XML dumps.Wikipedia preprocessor (wikiprep.pl) is a Perlscript that preprocesses raw XML dumps and builds link tables, category hierarchies, collects anchor text for each article etc.
As part of Wikimedia Enterprise a partial mirror of HTML dumpsis made public. Dumps are produced for a specific set of namespaces and wikis, and then made available for public download. Each dump output file consists of a tar.gz archive which, when uncompressed and untarred, contains one file, with a single line per article, in json format. This is...
Jun 17, 2022 · Download with Kiwix onto computer: Download the Kiwix offline browser. Clicked the 46GB file that contains all of English Wikipedia. On the site, it’s called “wikipedia_en_all_maxi_2022-05.zim ...