Between 1360 and 1370, a fortification was built on this place by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, the first Duke of Milan. The fortification was called Castello di Porta Giovia and had a defensive function. Castello di Porta Giovia was a square-shaped castle with 200 meters long sides and four towers at the corners, two of which were particularly ...
Coat of arms of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, painted on an interior ceiling. Under the Spanish domination which followed, the castle became a citadel, as the governor's seat was moved to the Ducal Palace (1535).
Between 1360 and 1370, having become the Lord of western Milan, Galeazzo Visconti II built a fort straddling the medieval wall and encasing the postern of Porta Giovia or Zobia. His successor, Gian Galeazzo, added barracks for the troops in 1392.
The original construction was ordered by local lord Galeazzo II Visconti in 1358–c. 1370. His successors Gian Galeazzo, Giovanni Maria and Filippo Maria Visconti enlarged it, until it became a square-plan castle with 200 m-long sides, four towers at the corners and up to 7-metre-thick walls.
His successors Gian Galeazzo and Filippo Maria expanded the fortress and converted it into a palatial residence. After Filippo Maria Visconti died without leaving a heir in 1447, the Milanese people proclaimed the Ambrosian Republic and razed the castle - seen as a symbol of the Visconti - to the ground.
Gian Galeazzo, son of Galeazzo II completed the castle with decorations made by talented artists of the late Gothic and Renaissance. As power in Milan shifted from the Visconti to the Sforza families, Francesco Sforza commissioned new frescoes for the castle.
It was founded in about 1350 by Galeazzo II Visconti, extended by Gian Galeazzo Visconti (who also founded the Cathedral), greatly damaged by public uprising after the demise of the Visconti reign, rebuilt and extended by Francesco Sforza in 1450, and finally rendered one of the finest palaces of the Renaissance by Ludovico Sforza.
Oct 12, 2020 · The new owners of the castle, Gian Galeazzo, Giovanni Maria and Filippo Maria Visconti expanded it to a square plan. They included four towers at the corners and made the walls 7 metres thick. This was their main residence but was destroyed after they were ousted by the Golden Ambrosian Republic in 1447. 3.
Aug 06, 2016 · Gian Galeazzo Visconti , son of Galeazzo II Visconti and Bianca of Savoy, was the first Duke of Milan and ruled the late-medieval city just before the dawn of the Renaissance.He was the great ...
- 5 min
For the wedding of Gian Galeazzo Sforza and Isabella d’Aragona at the Sforza Castle, he orchestrated a spectacular performance called The Paradise Machine, in which stars and planets revolved around a giant golden egg at the rhythm of music and lights. A pop-artist ante litteram.